Best tasting whey or whey isolate ?and your current ones ?

Options
13»

Replies

• Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    BSN Syntha-6 Vanilla Ice Cream. Mix with 1 cup of original unsweetened almond milk, a cup of frozen strawberries, and a cup of vanilla yogurt (I use Danon). Tastes like a strawberry vanilla milkshake. Absolutely amazing.

ETA - I also throw 6-9 ice cubes in there
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    note: i only ever buy chocolate flavor.

Best tasting that i have tried is Gaspari Myofusion.
    2nd place would be Optimum Nutrition Natural Chocolate
    3rd place would be Trutein

Optimum Nutrition natural chocolate just tasted like stevia, if they put in half the amount, it would be better. The aftertaste was vile. If there are other whey powders, preferably isolates, that use stevia or sugar, no artificial sweeteners, I would welcome the suggestions. I'm assuming the other 2 are sweetened with stevia?
  • dinoo
    dinoo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you all who already posted,
    Here are some whey that I have already tried, might be it would help somebody else.
    I had tried AMP 60 ,chocolate and strawberry , which where both ok tasting, they are very watery consistency, but not bad, pls note ,I mix them only in water , so with milk it might taste good.
    GNc unflavoured whey, clumped and tasted horrible when tried mixing with oatmeal . dint taste good even with stevia. Finally I tried mixing it with gatorade orange powder and it tasted like orange milkshake.
    Also tried Beverely international , chocolate and vanilla which is mind blowing , you would think that you are actually cheating on your diet. Mix the chocolate with some heavy cream and you have a chocolate pudding. If anyone wants to know , the Vanilla tastes better than chocolate , just like milk shake , considering I still mixed them with water.
    Hope it help some one.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Whey to Build Muscle - never had anything like it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I've tried Body Fortress (chocolate, vanilla, chocolate peanut butter), Six Star (chocolate), Optimum Nutrition (chocolate), Jay Robb (Strawberry) and Premier Nutrition (chocolate). IMO, none of them taste bad and none of them taste noticeably better than the other. Six Star probably tastes the best out of all of them, but it's not a huge difference. All of them mix equally easy - I just use water and a shaker bottle, have had no issues with any of them clumping.

I started drinking protein powder drinks in the 70's and can honestly say that any of the modern ones have come a long way from the old nasty, chalky, clumpy, sour milk tasting ones we drank back then!
  • Betty_Canada
    Betty_Canada Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I just buy the whey protein isolate from Bulk Barn for breakfast smoothies. It's the only one I've found that I can tolerate that doesn't have a nasty aftertaste. I usually combine it with about a cup of frozen fruit, a little water, and some Silhouettes yogurt for sixteen ounces of fruity goodness. It's about 7.5g of protein per tablespoon, so I usually add three (with a measuring spoon). The yogurt provides another 3-5g.

The significant other has a bottle of something called Muscle Whey by the Muscle Asylum Project that I think he bought from WalMart. Two scoops is 34g of protein and 11g of carbs. The flavour in question is Chocolate Milkshake, and while I find it a little sweet for my tastes, it does actually taste decent and doesn't cause that sort of weird gag response I usually get. It's sweetened with maltodextrin, corn syrup and aspartame, but I don't taste the latter. It has to be COLD though, as most protein shakes do.

I got a free sample of Fiber35's Strawberries and Cream shake. I threw out the free sample of the Vanilla Dream one after it almost made me hurl. That stuff is all kinds of nasty and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

=Betty=
  • PinkyKiwii
    PinkyKiwii Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    bump bump
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Optimum Nutrition natural chocolate just tasted like stevia, if they put in half the amount, it would be better. The aftertaste was vile. If there are other whey powders, preferably isolates, that use stevia or sugar, no artificial sweeteners, I would welcome the suggestions. I'm assuming the other 2 are sweetened with stevia?

The other 2 are sucralose sweetened i believe.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Advanced Genetics iso-phase protein in vanilla flavor. Unbelievable. The chocolate was beyond terrible.
  • sexybeast1998
    sexybeast1998 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    isoflex choc
  • TheLakeBeast
    Options
    Whey is old news, Try Beef Protein or Egg protein. I'm currently using Carnivore by Muscle Meds.... Stacking with Animal Pak, Animal PM, Beast Mode by Beast Sports and Scivation Extend

Liquid meat?

*blinks, wonders why not just eat some chicken breast?...*

Cant get enough protein from just chicken breasts?
  • TheLakeBeast
    Options
    Whey is old news, Try Beef Protein or Egg protein. I'm currently using Carnivore by Muscle Meds.... Stacking with Animal Pak, Animal PM, Beast Mode by Beast Sports and Scivation Extend

So, in your opinion, in what way is beef or egg protein superior to whey?

Beef protein is superior to whey in the same way that eating steak is superior to eating chicken to gain muscle. Beef has always been commonly known to build muscle but eating too much of it can give you problems such as high cholesterol and fat. If you take Kai Greene for example, a champion body builder at one time ate 6-8 pounds of steak a day because of the natural protein and natural creatine but because of the incredibly high cholesterol intake he could not continue doing so, so Muscle Meds designed their protein to give you the natural proteins and creatine found in beef in a concentrated form that does not have any of the bad things that come along with just eating beef.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Beef protein is superior to whey in the same way that eating steak is superior to eating chicken to gain muscle. Beef has always been commonly known to build muscle but eating too much of it can give you problems such as high cholesterol and fat. If you take Kai Greene for example, a champion body builder at one time ate 6-8 pounds of steak a day because of the natural protein and natural creatine but because of the incredibly high cholesterol intake he could not continue doing so, so Muscle Meds designed their protein to give you the natural proteins and creatine found in beef in a concentrated form that does not have any of the bad things that come along with just eating beef.
    If you look at the Biological Value of various proteins (the percentage that the body can absorb and utilize), beef is far inferior to whey or egg. Both whey and egg protein have a BV of 100% - beef is around 80%, chicken is 79%. Even fish is superior to beef, at a BV of 83%.

I'm not a meat-hater - beef is by far my favorite meat and I eat a ton of it - but you can't discount whey/egg protein as inferior sources.
  • Gitn_Fit
    Gitn_Fit Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    BluBonnet French Vanilla Whey Protein Isolate... but the trick is (and it may work with any protein shake) is to use coconut milk. DELICIOUS. Seriously it is like a treat and I always want more.

ETA... also it mixes very smoothly and evenly, dunno if that is the powder or the coconut milk, I think it is the coconut milk but whatever. Now I want some just for the heck of it.
  • TrainSweatEatSleep
    TrainSweatEatSleep Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Whey

[Protein powder of the year 2012]
    [Bodybuilding.com]

Mocha Cappuccino
  • GymMum8
    GymMum8 Posts: 28
    Options
    Dymatize Iso 100, or one from local Aussie company Bulk Nutrients.

Have a mate who also researches for different supp companies. So he will also make it up for us. Currently from him I have bubblegum, cookies & cream, choc mint & blue heaven. I also have a chocolate and a vanilla ( mainly for cooking)

I have them all in a 1kg bag, so I can mix and match.

Mel
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Probably the best tasting I've had was the GNC brand Amplified Wheybolic, keep in mind that despite this I would never buy overpriced GNC stuff (got a tub for free from a friend, no way in hell I'm spending that much money for protein).

Currently using Strawberry & Banana Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey. ON's Gold Standard tastes good too, I especially like their extreme milk chocolate, but I try to get as many servings for my dollar as possible so I tend to stray away from "thicker" flavors.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options

The other 2 are sucralose sweetened i believe.

Thank you. :) I was going to Google them, but forgot. I seem to have traded my brain for two kids. :tongue: