eating what you want as long as its under your calories?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How did this turn into a "milk is evil" thread?

because someone mentioned that milk was bad for you and people piped in without doing research first. just because milk has been considered good for you in the past doesnt mean that it is. time goes on, studies become more advanced, and we find out differently.

I can assure you I have looked into this many times. You may want to look further into the studies you are using to support your claims.

How about this research???

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23075559

Milk seems pretty beneficial for people who strength train who have to goal of maintaining LBM.

you can get vitamin D and calcium from foods other than milk. if you want cancer and other health complications, be my guest

Yes you can....but please tell me what cancer risk I am going to get from drinking milk? Milk does not increase my risk plus it is a good source of protein plus I like the taste and I am not lactose intolerant.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    I do this all the time!ive pretty much donr same for christmas however the quality of my diet has deteriorated although Im under my calorie goals and Im not happy with that,I feel good food is as important to health as being under your goal!
  • Changing_Charity
    Changing_Charity Posts: 197 Member
    Options

because someone mentioned that milk was bad for you and people piped in without doing research first. just because milk has been considered good for you in the past doesnt mean that it is. time goes on, studies become more advanced, and we find out differently.

I can assure you I have looked into this many times. You may want to look further into the studies you are using to support your claims.

Milk seems pretty beneficial for people who strength train who have to goal of maintaining LBM.

you can get vitamin D and calcium from foods other than milk. if you want cancer and other health complications, be my guest

Yes you can....but please tell me what cancer risk I am going to get from drinking milk? Milk does not increase my risk plus it is a good source of protein plus I like the taste and I am not lactose intolerant.

drinking milk DOES increase your risk of getting cancer actually, specifically prostate and ovarian cancer. Casein, which is a protien found in cows milk, has been found to cause cancer. Casein makes up about 87% of cows milk and has also been linked to autism. According to T. Colin Campbell, PhD, world-renowned Cornell University Nutritionist, "casein is the most relevant carcinogen that humans ingest"
  • Changing_Charity
    Options
    yeah milk is a source of protein, but not a GOOD source
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

drinking milk DOES increase your risk of getting cancer actually, specifically prostate and ovarian cancer. Casein, which is a protien found in cows milk, has been found to cause cancer. Casein makes up about 87% of cows milk and has also been linked to autism. According to T. Colin Campbell, PhD, world-renowned Cornell University Nutritionist, "casein is the most relevant carcinogen that humans ingest"

I knew I had seen the arguments you first provided - they are from PCRM:

"The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) is a non-profit organization based in Washington, D.C., which promotes a vegan diet, preventive medicine, alternatives to animal research, and encourages what it describes as "higher standards of ethics and effectiveness in research."[1] Its primary activities include outreach and education about nutrition and compassionate choices to healthcare professionals and the public; ending the use of animals in medical school curricula; and advocating for legislative changes on the local and national levels."

Not really surprising they are selective in their studies!

Again, please quote the source of these recent claims, especially considering your others have not been supported (with the possible exception of prostate cancer as I have already noted).

Here is a less biased view:

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-help/about-cancer/cancer-questions/does-milk-cause-cancer

"Researchers and doctors all agree that diet and cancer are closely linked. And eating a well balanced diet can help to reduce the risk of cancer. What is more difficult to say is exactly which foods are most important in causing or reducing cancer risk. Studies investigating a link between cancer and dairy products have not given clear results. Some research shows an increase in the risk of developing cancer, and some shows a decrease."
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Yes it is to me and to many others.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I've cut out in the past year and a half: red meat, ALL dairy, and kicked my soda habit.

I'm glad what you're doing is working for you, but eating isn't a habit as much as both a necessity and a pleasure. and if I've got to eat, I might as well enjoy the things I'm eating. and if I took out all these things ... well, I don't have to even think about it, I guess, because it ain't gonna happen.
    ^^^^^^
    ...been reading my mail...lol
  • KazSmith68
    Options
    I eat the same meals I cook for the family but I weigh mine on digital scales. I still have the occassional chocolate bar, cookie etc & have lost 14kg since joining in September 2012.

Any body feel free to add me, my diary is open. The more friends means more support. :smile:
  • Changing_Charity
    Options

how about this research?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22537215
  • Changing_Charity
    Options

and this

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22397392
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

how about this research?

"Milk and dairy products are widely recommended as part of a healthy diet. These products, however, can contain hormones such as insulin-like growth factor 1, and some studies have suggested that a high intake of milk and dairy products may increase the risk of cancer. This review examines recent studies on this topic, with the evidence suggesting that the recommended intake of milk and dairy products (3 servings/day) is safe and, importantly, does not seem to increase the risk of cancer. On the basis of the studies included in this review, cultured milk, yogurt, and low-fat dairy products should be preferred as the milk and dairy products of choice."

Your point?
  • Changing_Charity
    Options

how about this research?

"Milk and dairy products are widely recommended as part of a healthy diet. These products, however, can contain hormones such as insulin-like growth factor 1, and some studies have suggested that a high intake of milk and dairy products may increase the risk of cancer. This review examines recent studies on this topic, with the evidence suggesting that the recommended intake of milk and dairy products (3 servings/day) is safe and, importantly, does not seem to increase the risk of cancer. On the basis of the studies included in this review, cultured milk, yogurt, and low-fat dairy products should be preferred as the milk and dairy products of choice."

Your point?

hmm my point would be THESE PRODUCTS HOWEVER CAN CONTAIN HOROMONES SUCH AS INSULIN LIKE GROWTH FACTOR 1 AND SOME STUDIES HAVE SUGGESTED THAT A HIGH INTAKE OF MILK AND DAIRY PRODUCTS MAY INCREASE THE RISK OF CANCER...

that is my point. so yea if you want to limit yourself to 3 servings a day, then yeah you might be safe. but when you are drinking milk, and eating cheese, and other dairy products, you could be going over your 3 servings. accroding to this study. im not gonna sit here and argue all night. my point is, studies show that milk and other dairy products can lead to increases risks in cancers. there are tons of studies that suggest this. thats my point. take your chances.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    if you can keep the portion size appropriate, it's ok, as long as most of your diet is healthy.
    What I saw on your diary is just a lack of filling food.
    like fruits/veggies/beans

for me eating those really helps
    citrus is especially filling for some reason
    and takes longer to eat, bc you peel it

instead of 1 T of peanut butter you would get more milage by shelling peanuts.
    pistachios are fairly low in cal for a 'nut' also, although pricey

also, if you adjust the 'treat' foods to healthier versions,
    they will be often more filling too.
    such as making black bean brownies instead of following the recipe
    super easy
    1 can of rinsed beans in food processor
    mixed into 1 box of brownie mix
    I made these for my kids once and they could not even tell

or make the "ice cream" with frozen bananas
    I haven't done that 1 but everyone seems to love it.

for other recipes you could look at vegan and vegetarian blogs or cookbooks
    often they have ideas that are tasty for us too.

also, eating healthy fats will help you stay satisfied longer
    and great for your hair and skin
    avacodo, fatty fish like salmon, sardines,
    ground flax seed (just stir into oatmeal or muffins)
  • Changing_Charity
    Options
    why would you ingest something that could be cancerous..when you can find all the same nutrients in other foods. thats my point! thanks.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

and this

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22397392

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21335998

"Observational evidence suggests that nutritional factors contribute to a substantial proportion of cancer cases, and milk contains numerous bioactive substances that could affect risk and progression of cancer. Cancer results from multiple genetic and epigenetic events over time, so demonstrating a specific effect of nutrients or other bioactive food components in human cancer is challenging. Epidemiological evidence consistently suggests that milk intake is protective against colorectal cancer. Calcium supplements have been shown to reduce risk for recurrence of adenomatous polyps. Calcium supplementation has not been observed to reduce risk for colon cancer, although long latency and baseline calcium intake affect interpretation of these results. High calcium intake from both food and supplements is associated with increased risk for advanced or fatal prostate cancer. Results from epidemiological studies examining the relationship between intake of dairy foods and breast or ovarian cancer risk are not consistent. Animal studies have suggested that galactose may be toxic to ovarian cells, but results from epidemiological studies that have examined ovarian cancer risk and milk and/or lactose intakes are mixed. Dietary guidelines for cancer prevention encourage meeting recommended levels of calcium intake primarily through food choices rather than supplements, and choosing low-fat or nonfat dairy foods."

or

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12208895

"We found no association between intake of dairy products and breast cancer in postmenopausal women. Among premenopausal women, high intake of low-fat dairy foods, especially skim/low-fat milk, was associated with reduced risk of breast cancer. Similar inverse associations were seen with components (calcium and vitamin D) of dairy foods, but their independent associations with breast cancer are difficult to distinguish."
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

how about this research?

Your point?

hmm my point would be THESE PRODUCTS HOWEVER CAN CONTAIN HOROMONES SUCH AS INSULIN LIKE GROWTH FACTOR 1 AND SOME STUDIES HAVE SUGGESTED THAT A HIGH INTAKE OF MILK AND DAIRY PRODUCTS MAY INCREASE THE RISK OF CANCER...

that is my point. so yea if you want to limit yourself to 3 servings a day, then yeah you might be safe. but when you are drinking milk, and eating cheese, and other dairy products, you could be going over your 3 servings. accroding to this study. im not gonna sit here and argue all night. my point is, studies show that milk and other dairy products can lead to increases risks in cancers. there are tons of studies that suggest this. thats my point. take your chances.

Please do not yell. There are conflicting studies - see the 'may' - plus you need to differentiate between skim and full fat dairy. Also, 3 servings have been deemed safe - this is not to say that 4 servings is not safe. The recommendations are based on just that, 3 servings is beneficial and safe and is included as part of a recommended diet.

See the other studies I posted.

and another

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16537954

"A large body of scientific evidence collected in recent decades demonstrates that an adequate intake of calcium and other nutrients from dairy foods reduces the risk of osteoporosis by increasing bone acquisition during growth, slowing age-related bone loss, and reducing osteoporotic fractures. These results have culminated in the new (2005) Dietary Guidelines for Americans that now recommend 3 servings of milk products per day to reduce the risk of low bone mass and contribute important amounts of many nutrients that may have additional health attributes beyond bone health. A number of animal, observational, and clinical studies have shown that dairy food consumption can help reduce the risk of hypertension. Clinical trials indicate that the consumption of recommended levels of dairy products, as part of a healthy diet, can contribute to lower blood pressure in individuals with normal and elevated blood pressure. Emerging data also indicate that specific peptides associated with casein and whey proteins can significantly lower blood pressure. In addition, a growing body of evidence has provided support for a beneficial effect of dairy foods on body weight and fat loss. Clinical studies have demonstrated that during caloric restriction, body weight and body fat loss occurs when adequate calcium is provided by supplements and that this effect is further augmented by an equivalent amount of calcium supplied from dairy foods. Several studies support a role for calcium, vitamin D, and dairy foods against colon cancer. Additionally, conjugated linoleic acid, a fatty acid found naturally in dairy fat, confers a wide range of anticarcinogenic benefits in experimental animal models and is especially consistent for protection against breast cancer."

I can PubMed ninja also..
  • MooMyuu
    MooMyuu Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Dairy, is REALLY bad for you. Dairy is extremely high in fats and sugars, AND the "calcium" and "vitamin D" that are found in dairy are ADDED in there. Dairy is not a natural source of Vitamin D or Calcium.

Umm really? Then how the ****ens do mammals develop and grow when the only thing they ingest is dairy? OK so the sun helps us to make vitamin D but all the building blocks need to come from somewhere. Milk contains all the protein, carbs, fat, calcium and other micronutrients necessary to grow and is therefore a complete food. Same goes for eggs.
    you do realize that humans are the ONLY species to ingest the milk of another species and we are the ONLY species to drink milk past infancy.. It's not natural and it's not part of our natural diet.

Cow's milk is for baby cows, not humans. The only milk we need is our mother's milk until we're out of infancy.

like i said dairy has been shown to actually BLOCK the bones from building calcium deposits (and prevents the body from absorbing Vitamin D) and has links to higher rates of osteoporosis AND breast cancer AND bone cancer.

I used to drink milk a lot, eat plenty of cheeses and yogurts and I was Vitamin D deficient AND Calcium deficient. I cut it out and 3 months later, my levels are almost back in the normal range again.

OHHHH AND I had to be screened for potential BREAST CANCER.

My boyfriend (a nutritionist) and his father (an oriental medicine doctor) told me to cut it out and my problems would start healing themselves. My breast lump has massively softened, and my levels are getting back to normal.

You wanna keep risking your health with dairy? go for it. I'll stay clear of it from now on.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Hey, I was wondering does anyone here just eating whatever they want as long as it's under their calorie limit for the day? If so, have you seen good results? I don't mean eating like cheeseburgers and fries everyday, I mean eating healthy stuff for meals and then having some ice cream for snack everyday as long as its under your daily calorie goal?

Well, that's disappointing. You say "eat what you wan"t but then you say but then "healthy stuff".

I've done the opposite. About 70% of my calories came from eating ****e over the last 10 months.
  • _cheryl_
    _cheryl_ Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want, as long as I'm within my calories, even the odd mini choc [it is Xmas after all]
    I know I can have 2 or 3 before it blows my sugar !!
    and it seems to be working, I've lost 9lbs up to now, including 1 & 1/2 over Xmas week
    I shred 6 times a week so I can eat those calories too

31944310.png
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

I am not buying into this whole milk is good/ milk is bad argument...but I feel I need to point something out here..

Casein isn't just a protein found in cows milk - it is found in all milk INCLUDING human breast milk -..sooooo with your argument here all humans are screwed as we either drink breast milk or formula as babies. EVERY one of us.