eating what you want as long as its under your calories?

Options

Replies

• atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been eating what I want, even over calories. As long as I stay active, I maintian I have noticed. Well it has been working for me, not sure how it works for others.
  • MooMyuu
    MooMyuu Posts: 38 Member
    Options

drinking milk DOES increase your risk of getting cancer actually, specifically prostate and ovarian cancer. Casein, which is a protien found in cows milk, has been found to cause cancer. Casein makes up about 87% of cows milk and has also been linked to autism. According to T. Colin Campbell, PhD, world-renowned Cornell University Nutritionist, "casein is the most relevant carcinogen that humans ingest"

I am not buying into this whole milk is good/ milk is bad argument...but I feel I need to point something out here..

Casein isn't just a protein found in cows milk - it is found in all milk INCLUDING human breast milk -..sooooo with your argument here all humans are screwed as we either drink breast milk or formula as babies. EVERY one of us.

1. look at he percentage that each milk had of casein in it.
    2. you neglected the fact that no species is supposed to drink milk past infancy.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

drinking milk DOES increase your risk of getting cancer actually, specifically prostate and ovarian cancer. Casein, which is a protien found in cows milk, has been found to cause cancer. Casein makes up about 87% of cows milk and has also been linked to autism. According to T. Colin Campbell, PhD, world-renowned Cornell University Nutritionist, "casein is the most relevant carcinogen that humans ingest"

I am not buying into this whole milk is good/ milk is bad argument...but I feel I need to point something out here..

Casein isn't just a protein found in cows milk - it is found in all milk INCLUDING human breast milk -..sooooo with your argument here all humans are screwed as we either drink breast milk or formula as babies. EVERY one of us.

2. you neglected the fact that no species is supposed to drink milk past infancy.

A good number of species (including our own) feed beyond infancy, and weaning doesn't take place until the next infant arrives or the older co-feeds with the younger.

Everyone has their own set of beliefs on this and trying to convince the majority on a minority view by ramming them down everyone's throat in a thread that is not even ABOUT this is kind of rude. Please try to stay on topic and maybe continue your debate in a thread of it's own.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I'm mixed about it...

Yes, you will get results that way (I've always had results doing that). But because you're not changing your eating habits overall, it doesn't work in the long run.

More than that... and I'm going to harp a little here and possibly step on some toes, but I'm just saying... Dairy, is REALLY bad for you. Dairy is extremely high in fats and sugars, AND the "calcium" and "vitamin D" that are found in dairy are ADDED in there. Dairy is not a natural source of Vitamin D or Calcium.

If you want to see really awesome improvements, drop the dairy. Your weight will decrease, and your digestion and immune system will improve.

I recommend giving it a try.

If you have to have ice cream or milk shakes or smoothies, try homemaking it and substituting milk for almond milk. much healthier and homemade tastes soooo much better!!!

lolz. FF milk has no fat and there is nothing wrong with fats in dairy anyway. There is protein and a bunch of nutrients in milk. The carbs are not that high and there is nothing wrong with them as long as they fit into your macros.

Almond milk has no protein so no, it is not better, at least for me.

I have about 4 cups of milk, a serving of ice cream , cheese and/or yogurt ever single day - it has not done me or my weight loss any harm
    According to Dr. Willett, who has done many studies and reviewed the research on this topic, there are many reasons to pass up milk and other dairy products, including:

1. Milk doesn't reduce fractures. Contrary to popular belief, eating dairy products has never been shown to reduce fracture risk. In fact, according to the Nurses' Health Study dairy may increase risk of fractures by 50 percent!

Please provide source
    2. Less dairy, better bones. Countries with lowest rates of dairy and calcium consumption (like those in Africa and Asia) have the lowest rates of osteoporosis.

Causation =/= correlation.
    3. Calcium isn't as bone-protective as we thought. Studies of calcium supplementation have shown no benefit in reducing fracture risk. Vitamin D appears to be much more important than calcium in preventing fractures.
    What does that have to do with milk being 'bad'?
    4. Calcium may raise cancer risk. Research shows that higher intakes of both calcium and dairy products may increase a man's risk of prostate cancer by 30 to 50 percent. Plus, dairy consumption increases the body's level of insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) -- a known cancer promoter.

Source please
    5. Calcium has benefits that dairy doesn't. Calcium supplements, but not dairy products, may reduce the risk of colon cancer.(iv)

Source please
    6. Not everyone can stomach dairy.(v) About 75 percent of the world's population is genetically unable to properly digest milk and other dairy products -- a problem called lactose intolerance.

About 2% of those of Northern European have lactose intolerance and about 16% (if I recall off the top of my head) so - so it's not an issue for most Europeans and Americans. Why would they not drink it?
    We, as humans, are the only species that drink another animals milk. doesnt that seem weird to you? the only time you need milk is when you are an infant, and the only milk you need is breast milk.

Not true and irrelevant. The fact is, we can.

REFRENCES

(i) Feskanich D, Willett WC, Stampfer MJ, Colditz GA. Milk, dietary calcium, and bone fractures in women: a 12-year prospective study. Am J Public Health. 1997 Jun;87(6):992-7.

(ii) Feskanich D, Willett WC, Colditz GA. Calcium, vitamin D, milk consumption, and hip fractures: a prospective study among postmenopausal women. Am J Clin Nutr. 2003 Feb;77(2):504-11.

(iii) Tseng M, Breslow RA, Graubard BI, Ziegler RG. Dairy, calcium, and vitamin D intakes and prostate cancer risk in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Epidemiologic Follow-up Study cohort. Am J Clin Nutr. 2005 May;81(5):1147-54.

(iv) Huncharek M, Muscat J, Kupelnick B. Colorectal cancer risk and dietary intake of calcium, vitamin D, and dairy products: a meta-analysis of 26,335 cases from 60 observational studies. Nutr Cancer. 2009;61(1):47-69.

(v) Brannon PM, Carpenter TO, Fernandez JR, Gilsanz V, Gould JB, Hall KE, Hui SL, Lupton JR, Mennella J, Miller NJ, Osganian SK, Sellmeyer DE, Suchy FJ, Wolf MA. NIH Consensus Development Conference Statement: Lactose Intolerance and Health. NIH Consens State Sci Statements. 2010 Feb 24;27(2).

(vi) Bartley J, McGlashan SR. Does milk increase mucus production? Med Hypotheses. 2010 Apr;74(4):732-4.

(vii) Luopajärvi K, Savilahti E, Virtanen SM, Ilonen J, Knip M, Akerblom HK, Vaarala O. Enhanced levels of cow's milk antibodies in infancy in children who develop type 1 diabetes later in childhood. Pediatr Diabetes. 2008 Oct;9(5):434-41.

(viii) El-Hodhod MA, Younis NT, Zaitoun YA, Daoud SD. Cow's milk allergy related pediatric constipation: Appropriate time of milk tolerance. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2009 Jun 25.

With the conclusions and my comments:

REFRENCES

(i) Feskanich D, Willett WC, Stampfer MJ, Colditz GA. Milk, dietary calcium, and bone fractures in women: a 12-year prospective study. Am J Public Health. 1997 Jun;87(6):992-7.

"These data do not support the hypothesis that higher consumption of milk or other food sources of calcium by adult women protects against hip or forearm fractures."

(ii) Feskanich D, Willett WC, Colditz GA. Calcium, vitamin D, milk consumption, and hip fractures: a prospective study among postmenopausal women. Am J Clin Nutr. 2003 Feb;77(2):504-11.

"An adequate vitamin D intake is associated with a lower risk of osteoporotic hip fractures in postmenopausal women. Neither milk nor a high-calcium diet appears to reduce risk. Because women commonly consume less than the recommended intake of vitamin D, supplement use or dark fish consumption may be prudent."

(iii) Tseng M, Breslow RA, Graubard BI, Ziegler RG. Dairy, calcium, and vitamin D intakes and prostate cancer risk in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Epidemiologic Follow-up Study cohort. Am J Clin Nutr. 2005 May;81(5):1147-54.

"Dairy consumption may increase prostate cancer risk through a calcium-related pathway. Calcium and low-fat milk have been promoted to reduce risk of osteoporosis and colon cancer. Therefore, the mechanisms by which dairy and calcium might increase prostate cancer risk should be clarified and confirmed."

This one may be something to consider (well, not for me as I do not have a prostate) - will look into this one further.

(iv) Huncharek M, Muscat J, Kupelnick B. Colorectal cancer risk and dietary intake of calcium, vitamin D, and dairy products: a meta-analysis of 26,335 cases from 60 observational studies. Nutr Cancer. 2009;61(1):47-69.

"Milk intake was unrelated to rectal cancer risk. High calcium intake had a greater protective effect against tumors of the distal colon and rectal cancer vs. proximal colon. The risk reduction associated with calcium was similar for dietary and supplemental sources. Vitamin D was associated with a nonsignificant 6% reduction in CRC risk. Higher consumption of milk/dairy products reduces the risk of colon cancer, and high calcium intake reduces the risk of CRC. Low vitamin D intake in the study populations may limit the ability to detect a protective effect if one exists."

(v) Brannon PM, Carpenter TO, Fernandez JR, Gilsanz V, Gould JB, Hall KE, Hui SL, Lupton JR, Mennella J, Miller NJ, Osganian SK, Sellmeyer DE, Suchy FJ, Wolf MA. NIH Consensus Development Conference Statement: Lactose Intolerance and Health. NIH Consens State Sci Statements. 2010 Feb 24;27(2).

This is a conference discussion - no stats are given

(vi) Bartley J, McGlashan SR. Does milk increase mucus production? Med Hypotheses. 2010 Apr;74(4):732-4.

Not sure what point this one relates to

(vii) Luopajärvi K, Savilahti E, Virtanen SM, Ilonen J, Knip M, Akerblom HK, Vaarala O. Enhanced levels of cow's milk antibodies in infancy in children who develop type 1 diabetes later in childhood. Pediatr Diabetes. 2008 Oct;9(5):434-41.

Not sure what point this one relates to and it is in relation to children - we are all adults on this site

(viii) El-Hodhod MA, Younis NT, Zaitoun YA, Daoud SD. Cow's milk allergy related pediatric constipation: Appropriate time of milk tolerance. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2009 Jun 25.

Not sure what point this one relates to either and again it is in relation to children - we are all adults on this site

I am still not seeing the source for the increased fracture risk claim - in fact one study you cited shows it to decrease the risk of osteoporosis . Also, I am seeing that dairy does reduce the risk of colon cancer - "Higher consumption of milk/dairy products reduces the risk of colon cancer'.

So, in summary, I am not seeing anything as 'bad' as long as you are not a lactose intolerance adult other than possibly an increased risk of prostate cancer (but I need to look at the actual study more as it was only indicative of a possible risk).

Edited to fix missed conclusion on a study

Let me add my two cents - since I happen to know a thing or two about osteoporosis and hip fractures - given that I "made a living off it" for several years. (and I know that phrase is poorly stated but that is what designing hip prosthesis and then marketing alendronate does)

First of all, the Feskanich studies are both excellent as observational studies and problematic - the first one, with regards to only diary calcium had as a result the need to look into vitamin D and has been superseded by Feskanich's work and several other large studies which took into consideration vitamin D. The conclusions are ... that dietary calcium does in fact have an impact on incidence of osteoporosis and fractures but only to a limited extent. The most positive impact is certainly only at limited doses. Beyond those minimum requirements, the decrease in hip fracture events is not very significant.

F2.medium.gif8

Second, the role of calcium, when studied along without regards to vitamin D is of little value, since this vitamin is involved in the renal conservation, gut uptake and osteoclast/osteoblast activity (the laying down and remodeling of bone).

Third, dietary vitamin D has a complex role with respect to serum vitamin D levels which are dependent on activity, sunlight and hormonal function. Dietary intake only has a smaller role with respect to some of those other factors.

some ref - worth considering -
    http://www.bmj.com/content/342/bmj.d1473

Dairy consumption has also been found to have little corellation in stress fractures The role of Vitamin D in fractures? Well, yes.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22393172

Finally, any discussion about lower rates of osteoporosis in Africa, men, overweight individuals, etc... points to a clear mis-understanding of the mechanisms of bone mineralisation -- vitamin D conversion occurs in sunlight, osteoclast/blast activation is affected by ion channel activity in bones due to weight bearing exercise, calcitonin function regulated by the liver and thyroid function, etc... to bring into the equation the consumption of calcium in Asia or Africa would need to look into these genetic and environmental factors -- don't go there - that's pages of interesting but irrelavant discussion.

And on the subject of drinking milk as a source of calcium or vitamin D -- milk and other dairy products are a good natural source of relatively high bio-availability (even without fortification) but kale and brocolli are better. This is also the issue of all of these cohort studies which attempt to take into consideration one food group versus a disease state without measuring blood calcium or vitamin levels. Their conclusions are highly limited by these confounding factors.

So do eat your dairy, green vegetables and exercise outside (get the sunlight needed to make your vitamin D!). The basics are basic.

(and for ref. I am not a milk fanatic - don't drink much - but I am biased towards a variety of non-fortified milk products - I live in France and Germany - and love yoghurt and cheese of all types.)

ETA: typos
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

(wall of quotes removed)

Please don't quote T. Campbell if you want to be taken serious. The man is in cloud-cuckoo land. Mr China Study...
    He's also known for the "Eating foods that contain any cholesterol above 0 mg is unhealthy"

Any evidence-based discussion should be on the studies or data not a call to authority and certainly not a call to authority of a "celebrity". If you want to quote his research articles - go to it. We'll have field day.
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hey, I was wondering does anyone here just eating whatever they want as long as it's under their calorie limit for the day? If so, have you seen good results? I don't mean eating like cheeseburgers and fries everyday, I mean eating healthy stuff for meals and then having some ice cream for snack everyday as long as its under your daily calorie goal?

If your over your protein,fat, or sugar by less than 20 is that ok? Will you still lose weigt?

I guess it was the ice cream that turned this to a milk thread. :-)

Are you using the mfp defaults for fat and protein? If so the defaults are to low for most people. Try setting your protein to 1 gram / lb of lbm or body weight and your fat to .4 g/ lb bodyweight and consider these somewhat as minimums. Fill in the remaining calories as carbs, protein and fats based on your choices of food that day. If you stay to your calorie goal you will lose if that is your goal.

I could not imagine not eating dessert or other so called bad foods. To me bad foods are things I do not like (beef liver comes to mind) :laugh:
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options

Yes, you will get results that way (I've always had results doing that). But because you're not changing your eating habits overall, it doesn't work in the long run.

More than that... and I'm going to harp a little here and possibly step on some toes, but I'm just saying... Dairy, is REALLY bad for you. Dairy is extremely high in fats and sugars, AND the "calcium" and "vitamin D" that are found in dairy are ADDED in there. Dairy is not a natural source of Vitamin D or Calcium.

If you want to see really awesome improvements, drop the dairy. Your weight will decrease, and your digestion and immune system will improve.

If you have to have ice cream or milk shakes or smoothies, try homemaking it and substituting milk for almond milk. much healthier and homemade tastes soooo much better!!!

Dairy is really bad for you?! Please explain more! Or, provide some studies that you've read.

It's just harder for the human body to break down. We're the only other species on the planet that drinks from another species. I prefer almond milk or soy sometimes. The almond milk tastes and feels so much better in my opinion. Plus, in cereal like Shredded Wheat, the texture is better and it soaks up more. nice flavor, too.
  • CHRISTCENTERED
    CHRISTCENTERED Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you're down to your last 6 pounds to loose...seems to me whatever you've been doing is working. In some instance though, I do agree with alexbusnello. If you're not changing your eating habits, you're putting yourself at risk for falling off the wagon per say. Once you've met your weight loss goal, how will you maintain it?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Ice-cream every day works for me. My body does not break the sugar in ice-cream any different than it does the sugar in apples.

OP: I hit my protein and fat targets, make sure I have a sensible balanced diet which also includes ice-cream, cheesecake and pop tarts

I'm with Sara
  • bdtyson77302
    bdtyson77302 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    that's exactly what I've done...and 42 pounds in less than a year were the results.
    Of course there are better choices...blah blah blah....but sometimes we just want a piece of dark chocolate mixed with peanut butter...I do melt mine and add fiber one so it makes it healthy lol. You stay under or at your calorie goal and you WILL lose weight!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Dairy is really bad for you?! Please explain more! Or, provide some studies that you've read.

It's just harder for the human body to break down. We're the only other species on the planet that drinks from another species. I prefer almond milk or soy sometimes. The almond milk tastes and feels so much better in my opinion. Plus, in cereal like Shredded Wheat, the texture is better and it soaks up more. nice flavor, too.

Please explain how it is really bad for you....because it is harder for the human body to break down? How exactly? Please explain more.

And no we are not the only species that drinks from another species, and even if we were so what? We are the only species that cooks our meat.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Dairy, is REALLY bad for you. Dairy is extremely high in fats and sugars, AND the "calcium" and "vitamin D" that are found in dairy are ADDED in there. Dairy is not a natural source of Vitamin D or Calcium.

Umm really? Then how the ****ens do mammals develop and grow when the only thing they ingest is dairy? OK so the sun helps us to make vitamin D but all the building blocks need to come from somewhere. Milk contains all the protein, carbs, fat, calcium and other micronutrients necessary to grow and is therefore a complete food. Same goes for eggs.
    you do realize that humans are the ONLY species to ingest the milk of another species and we are the ONLY species to drink milk past infancy.. It's not natural and it's not part of our natural diet.

Cow's milk is for baby cows, not humans. The only milk we need is our mother's milk until we're out of infancy.

like i said dairy has been shown to actually BLOCK the bones from building calcium deposits (and prevents the body from absorbing Vitamin D) and has links to higher rates of osteoporosis AND breast cancer AND bone cancer.

I used to drink milk a lot, eat plenty of cheeses and yogurts and I was Vitamin D deficient AND Calcium deficient. I cut it out and 3 months later, my levels are almost back in the normal range again.

OHHHH AND I had to be screened for potential BREAST CANCER.

My boyfriend (a nutritionist) and his father (an oriental medicine doctor) told me to cut it out and my problems would start healing themselves. My breast lump has massively softened, and my levels are getting back to normal.

You wanna keep risking your health with dairy? go for it. I'll stay clear of it from now on.

Please cite sources...the claims have already been made in this thread and have not been supported at all.

And we are not the only species to drink another's milk and even if we were, so what. We can.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Dairy, is REALLY bad for you. Dairy is extremely high in fats and sugars, AND the "calcium" and "vitamin D" that are found in dairy are ADDED in there. Dairy is not a natural source of Vitamin D or Calcium.

Umm really? Then how the ****ens do mammals develop and grow when the only thing they ingest is dairy? OK so the sun helps us to make vitamin D but all the building blocks need to come from somewhere. Milk contains all the protein, carbs, fat, calcium and other micronutrients necessary to grow and is therefore a complete food. Same goes for eggs.
    you do realize that humans are the ONLY species to ingest the milk of another species and we are the ONLY species to drink milk past infancy.. It's not natural and it's not part of our natural diet.

Cow's milk is for baby cows, not humans. The only milk we need is our mother's milk until we're out of infancy.

like i said dairy has been shown to actually BLOCK the bones from building calcium deposits (and prevents the body from absorbing Vitamin D) and has links to higher rates of osteoporosis AND breast cancer AND bone cancer.

I used to drink milk a lot, eat plenty of cheeses and yogurts and I was Vitamin D deficient AND Calcium deficient. I cut it out and 3 months later, my levels are almost back in the normal range again.

OHHHH AND I had to be screened for potential BREAST CANCER.

My boyfriend (a nutritionist) and his father (an oriental medicine doctor) told me to cut it out and my problems would start healing themselves. My breast lump has massively softened, and my levels are getting back to normal.

You wanna keep risking your health with dairy? go for it. I'll stay clear of it from now on.

Please cite sources...the claims have already been made in this thread and have not been supported at all.

And we are not the only species to drink another's milk and even if we were, so what. We can.

^ See bold.

If anyone wants to make a claim about milk having a negative effect, then go for it -- but whether or not other animals do what we do is 100% irrelevant, entirely. I can name a whole list of things that we do that no other animal does, and those would also be irrelevant.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Humans are one of the very few species that have sex for pleasure (at least for the female). We should totally stop doing that too.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

1. Campbell published the debunked China Study. Please provide a credible source for the risks.

2. says whom?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Please don't quote T. Campbell if you want to be taken serious.

^ also that
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want, but I also make sure to eat a lot of vegetables, fruit, lean meat, healthy, whole foods. I try to make sure I'm meeting my macros, especially fiber and protein.

I have probably one or two treats a day. But my idea of a treat now is much different. Before it might have been an entire bag of chips or a couple chocolate bars. Now, it's a serving of something. Like a serving of chips and salsa, or 2 pieces of chocolate.

In the long run, I want to eat like a "normal" person, which to me means, a healthy, balanced diet with some room for a little junk when I want it.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Hey, I was wondering does anyone here just eating whatever they want as long as it's under their calorie limit for the day? If so, have you seen good results? I don't mean eating like cheeseburgers and fries everyday, I mean eating healthy stuff for meals and then having some ice cream for snack everyday as long as its under your daily calorie goal?

If your over your protein,fat, or sugar by less than 20 is that ok? Will you still lose weigt?

Check my diary. Everyday I end with a cookie or ice cream and if I have gone crazy at the gym or on a big run and have a ton of calories... BOTH :bigsmile:

I also occasionally have a beer or a glass of wine with dinner. I've lost 89 pounds since January 2nd. I generally don't drink a lot, not because it's a lot of calories that don't fill you up but because my tolerance has completely vacated me with the weight I've lost.

I try to eat healthy the rest of the day, get my fruit, veggies and everything in and I eat healthy (for a cookie) cookies. Ice cream if I've bought it is something like lite ice cream or frozen yogurt. I occasionally make ice cream but only when I know I can share it with a group because I don't pull any culinary punches making ice cream and reach for the heavy cream and don't skimp on the sugar. Some of my recipes are frozen custards instead of frozen cream but not as many as you'd think because frozen custards cross the line from joy to work.
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    bump
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Humans are one of the very few species that have sex for pleasure (at least for the female). We should totally stop doing that too.

Wait, females derive pleasure from sex? That can't be right...