Runners: Just say no to sidewalks

Options
I now run in the street and not on the sidewalks.

I always used to run on the sidewalks because I felt a bit safer as I was not near the moving vehicles.

However, I don't know about your sidewalks but ours have shifted due to weather and I have discovered that it doesn't matter how much I stare at the ground the second I look up I catch my toe on the expansion slot in the sidewalk. :grumble: Many of the sections will have a 1/2" drop or more due to the ground shifting.

Any tips or tricks you have learned over time while running?

:laugh:

Replies

• Taem2
    Taem2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Bump.

I just ran 10 miles yesterday, most of them on the sidewalk where the sidewalk was either cleared of snow and ice or not. I take it slower with shorter strides.

It's a great feeling though, running in the cold. And, other than the sidewalk being slippery, not much else gets in the way. I'm off to do another 10 miles in a couple of hours, have a great day.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I do a mixture of both.....Along the major highway in my town, I run on the sidewalk. On the other roads (where there is almost no traffic), I run in the street.

The sidewalks I run on aren't in great shape, but I guess part of the fun is the little jumps I have to take here and there to avoid broken spots or shifted areas. It's like a tiny obstacle course :)
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    The problem with running in the streets, at least where I live, is the road crown. Some of them can be pretty severe, so I try to mix it up a bit, between sidewalks and streets. I run early, so I can also run down the middle of the street from time to time. I do kind of like the attention the sidewalk requires.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I drive to a limestone trail... =P
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    nyc has great sidewalks but only problem is too many people. The street isn't too safe here with all the double parked cars, people turning, crazy cab drivers etc etc. With headphones on you probably will get hit by a car or bike.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I live in the country. There are no side walks. And no traffic, so I run right down the middle of the road!
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My daughter is a cross country runner, I prefer a flat track and hiking at a slower pace myself.

Keep your eyes open, before taking your eyes off the path look ahead a little bit for any potential problems. Think about highway driving...are you only watching the vehicle in front of you or do you slow down when you see a bunch of brake lights ahead? Stick to the same route so you know where the dips and obstacles are. I know my area so I know the water main cover that sticks up about 2 inches from the sidewalk in front of my neighbors house is there whether it's covered in snow or not. I know the 3 inch shift in the sidewalk around the corner with my eyes closed. I know the neighbor who doesn't trim their hedges back enough so I have to walk by with my head cocked to the right or risk losing an eye.
  • A_Valerie
    A_Valerie Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    The problem with running in the streets, at least where I live, is the road crown.

good point on the crown. I'm usually in the subdivisions where it isn't too bad.
    Maybe I am just a clutz, but i have hit that damn 1/2"-1" so many times and go flying. I catch myself but I swear the second I am not concentrating I hit one of those darn things.

They just built a blacktop path through what used to be a corn field and woods and that is only about 1/2 mile from my house so I have been running there and then running that path. A fairly reasonable compromise.
  • A_Valerie
    A_Valerie Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My daughter is a cross country runner, I prefer a flat track and hiking at a slower pace myself.

Keep your eyes open, before taking your eyes off the path look ahead a little bit for any potential problems. Think about highway driving...are you only watching the vehicle in front of you or do you slow down when you see a bunch of brake lights ahead? Stick to the same route so you know where the dips and obstacles are. I know my area so I know the water main cover that sticks up about 2 inches from the sidewalk in front of my neighbors house is there whether it's covered in snow or not. I know the 3 inch shift in the sidewalk around the corner with my eyes closed. I know the neighbor who doesn't trim their hedges back enough so I have to walk by with my head cocked to the right or risk losing an eye.

all great suggestions. thanks. I think the problem is that I love the outdoors and my mind starts wandering to enjoying the nature and bird watching, etc.
    I guess I should try and focus more. thanks.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    We typically run on the paved pathway near my house. But when we have to run at night we do the sidewalk and don't really have an issue with tripping even though I can't see the sidewalk (except when a dog runs into my legs because he's staring behind us at the dog that's coming out of his yard). I would run in the road if it were safe -- that's what I used to do when I lived in Florida; but now my dogs don't really like running in the road; my Shepherd pulls me back towards the sidewalk (at least she's safe about running, I suppose).
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    My neighborhood has a great network of very low traffic alleys. If I'm on a very busy road, I'll run on the sidewalks, but on the side streets and alleys, I'm in the road.

Strangely, I have no problem avoiding the bumps and cracks in the sidewalk while running, but I trip on them while walking. :grumble:

Wooded trails are my top choice, though. :heart:
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Slightly off topic. NO MATTER HOW LITTLE TRAFFIC - MAKE SURE YOU ARE WEARING LOTS OF REFLECTIVE MATERIAL!!!! so you can be seen. Yesterday morning, some lady was walking WITH the traffic - all pitch black cloths ... I did see her well in time - but I thought to myself 'lady' you are an accident waiting to happen - you get hurt and the motorist gets blamed (because of your stupidity).

If you see me running in the street this time of the year - you would think the christmas tree was coming down the street.I run both on sidewalks and on streets.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    yeah, don't get in the way of bicycles.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I prefer roads, also, as they are almost always smoother. When it is safe to do so, I run on the side of the street. Otherwise, I will make myself stay on the sidewalk but it takes more concentration. ;)
  • slcostel
    slcostel Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    If you run in the road, switch up the side. Many roads are slanted slightly for drainage, so you'll be running with a "short" leg. If you switch which side you run on occasionally, you'll at least give your short legs equal time.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Sidewalks aren't a good running surface anyways - concrete is a significantly harder material than asphalt so your shins take a real beating from all the pounding. I always run on the side of the road wherever it's safe to do so, or on a paved trail.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    outdoor-treadmill-300x300.jpg
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    The problem with running in the streets, at least where I live, is the road crown.

good point on the crown. I'm usually in the subdivisions where it isn't too bad.
    Maybe I am just a clutz, but i have hit that damn 1/2"-1" so many times and go flying. I catch myself but I swear the second I am not concentrating I hit one of those darn things.

They just built a blacktop path through what used to be a corn field and woods and that is only about 1/2 mile from my house so I have been running there and then running that path. A fairly reasonable compromise.

I am a big klutz, too. I can trip just walking down the hallway in the house. Live in a small town, so no sidewalks in my neighborhood. But even running on the street I have to concentrate because the county doesn't repair the potholes very often in my area.

I am amazed at the 5:30am runners.. it's pitch dark out there and I'm driving to the gym and I see several bouncing lights from their head lamps. Even with the little traffic in my area, that just scares me.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    nyc has great sidewalks but only problem is too many people. The street isn't too safe here with all the double parked cars, people turning, crazy cab drivers etc etc. With headphones on you probably will get hit by a car or bike.

I am in the city, too, and I don't know how people run on the streets here... The Hudson River park is decent for running, and Central Park and other parks are fine, too, but you have to get there first. My solution has been to run on the treadmill (gasp, I know). There are two main advantages: you're not huffing bus fumes because the air is filtered, and the surface is softer so it is easier on the bones.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I hate the side walks!!!!!!

Mostly because of driveway entrances. That little repetitive slant to one side or the other, over and over and over! Murders me when I try for anything longer than 10k.

And, concrete is much harder than asphalt.

I am a street runner! Also, here in the great white north, the sidewalks are the last to be cleared after a snow fall. So, for the winter it is street running by default.

The funny thing is I LOVE trail running! Perhaps the uneven terrain on trails is more natural than the repetitive nature of sidewalks? What ever the reason, I would run trails every day if I could.