How do you handle LATE NIGHT MUNCHIES?

Options
I am very regimented all day up until the end of dinner. After kids are in bed and I get my second wind, I get the munchies. How do you handle munchies? Looking for advice since I am just starting my program.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Save 100 calories or so for snacking and plan ahead to have a 100 calorie popcorn bag or some fruit or veggies.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I just go to bed.
    If I'm upstairs in bed (watching TV or whatever!) I'm less likely to snack, as to when I'm watching TV right down by the kitchen.
    Location, location, location!
  • martinh78
    Options
    Save 100 calories or so for snacking

THIS
  • tlheppler
    tlheppler Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have had to learn how to live feeling hungry. Its not fun, but feeling hungry is far better than the alternative.
  • Heaven829
    Heaven829 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i used to go lay in bed or clean... and if it really got bad i would go brush my teeth and rinse with mouth wash
  • calisunrise
    Options
    fall asleep. seriously, it helps me
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I get those, and the late night munchies can ruin my whole day of clean eating.
    My final meal is an hour before bed....I need that or I fail big time...
  • Stdavis53
    Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If you can't help but get something to eat, make a green salad. No cheese, meat or eggs. Just a bunch of spinach, romaine, maybe some cut up carrots and use just a little low cal dressing. (I use a 1 cal per spray spritzer) You can have a huge late night snack, and only rack up about 40 calories.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I always plan out a decent snack for the evening. If I'm still craving after that, I'll have some herbal tea, a big glass of water, or brush my teeth (or all 3).. I've gone to bed hungry on more than one occasion.
  • betoarango
    betoarango Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Go to bed early... LOL

I always leave myself 100 or so calories (2 hersheys nuggets worth) and eat them in bed... Help me sleep better,..dont feel deprived of chocolate... and not enough to trigger chocolate binge.

By the time Im done i'm too lazy to go all the way to the kitchen for more.

Also doing IF (I try for 1 or 2 days of ESE a week) have helped me to appreciate Hunger and cravings as not necessarily bad or uncomfortable, just something that is there , and will be solved in the morning...
  • ellenasl210
    ellenasl210 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've tried a lot to help with my late night munches haha. The one thing that worked for me was replacing the habit with a cup of tea or coffee. I was never actually hungry, it was just a habit. Hopefully this helps(:
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth, that seems to help. Also, I recognize that often it's being tired that gives me the munchies at night, so I go to bed.
  • zentha1384
    zentha1384 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    If i have calories left I have popcorn, if not i will make myself to herbal mint tea. The facts it has flavor and no calories puts the craving as ease a bit and the liquid fills me up so I feel less hungry.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I get those, and the late night munchies can ruin my whole day of clean eating.
    My final meal is an hour before bed....I need that or I fail big time...

This has been my strategy as well. I'm the kind of person who will wake up from a dead sleep at 2 AM hungry as hell and tear apart the kitchen for a stray cookie. The closer my final meal is to bedtime, the less hungry I am.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is you, but before joining MFP, I had the "reward" mindset...like when the kids went to bed after a long day of being a mom, I felt I "deserved" a hot fudge sundae / bag of chips & dip / half an oven baked pizza. You get the idea. Bad mindset. :embarassed:

Now that I have joined MFP, I have learned to reward myself for a hard day in other ways instead of consuming wheelbarrows full of high calorie and high fat foods. I've gotten pretty "zen" about it: from long, hot bubble baths to "me time" just reading a book or wandering around Pinterest.com, catching up on e-mails to friends & family..or online shopping. :wink: :bigsmile:

But as many others have already said, I try to "save" 100 calories or so for my evenings, and IFI feel the munchies coming on, I indulge a bit. After all, what's a bubble bath without a piece of Godiva? :laugh:
  • twinkychops
    twinkychops Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I just go to bed.
    If I'm upstairs in bed (watching TV or whatever!) I'm less likely to snack, as to when I'm watching TV right down by the kitchen.
    Location, location, location!

me too! or I do some extra cardio to allow for an extra snack!
  • Photomandy
    Photomandy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the same thing. Hot cocoa helps me...

Also, going on MFP for inspiration!

Feel free to friend me if you need some extra accountability. :)
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I tried a bunch of different things to help curb my snacking at night, and then realized it would be so much easier to stop fighting it and just save a few hundred calories for after dinner. Because despite my best intentions, I knew I would just do it either way, so I'd rather make the room for it.

However, if you have more willpower than I in this area, all the other suggestions are pretty good. Distracting yourself, exercising, water, gum...etc.
  • JigglyPig
    JigglyPig Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I always plan out a decent snack for the evening. If I'm still craving after that, I'll have some herbal tea, a big glass of water, or brush my teeth (or all 3).. I've gone to bed hungry on more than one occasion.

I like this idea. :)
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I eat. I tend to eat 6-7 times a day dependent on working out etc, one of my last meals tends to be a whey protein drink late at night, this keeps me full till i wake up.