getting rid of Food Addiction

Options
I started this new program four days ago and doing good so far. I am not eating sweets at all, and no wheat or any foods made from flour. I lost the cravings already.
This program is used in treatment centers for people who are addicted to high carbohydrates, and the plan is to completely abstinate from sweets and wheat since those foods trigger the cravings and overeating.
And, no weighing, except maybe one a month. The goal is not to lose weight but to stop the cravings and curb the addiction.
I recommend book by Kay Shepard "Food Addiction, the body knows". It is very good and will change your life.
Sincerely,

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    you will get a lot of haters with this post telling you that you dont need to give up any food and just do moderation with everything

IGNORE THEM

if it is working for you, that is all that matters

good luck
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    you will get a lot of haters with this post telling you that you dont need to give up any food and just do moderation with everything

IGNORE THEM

if it is working for you, that is all that matters

good luck

Agreed. If it works for you - ignore the rest of them.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    this is exactly what i was saying a few minutes ago on another post. we need food but we don't have to eat sweets and sugar when we know it triggers us. it does not have to be moderation with everything if we've tried and know it doesn't work for us. i'm glad it's working out so well for people who have that ability, but for me i know what are bad triggers for me (liek peanut butter, cookies, sugar) so i try and avoid it as best i can. you're right, there will be haters who think the way they are doing it is the only way. but it's not. you know yourself best.
  • ElliieMental
    Options
    I started this new program four days ago and doing good so far. I am not eating sweets at all, and no wheat or any foods made from flour. I lost the cravings already.
    This program is used in treatment centers for people who are addicted to high carbohydrates, and the plan is to completely abstinate from sweets and wheat since those foods trigger the cravings and overeating.
    And, no weighing, except maybe one a month. The goal is not to lose weight but to stop the cravings and curb the addiction.
    I recommend book by Kay Shepard "Food Addiction, the body knows". It is very good and will change your life.
    Sincerely,

Giving up my carby ways really helped me with my food addiction so I am behind you 100%.

My problem is now I've been binging on carbs over christmas it's like giving up crack all over again - but I know that there is truth behind this and you are completely right.

Friend me if you want a like minded buddy :)
  • Kathy_Noring
    Kathy_Noring Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I just read the introduction to a South Beach Diet cookbook I purchased the other day and reading about what high glycemic index foods do to the body was a real "aha!" moment for me. I've often wondered why I can't stop once I start on the sweets and other simple carb heavy foods. I always thought that I lack willpower. It was interesting to read the physiology behind eating those types of foods and how they do generally cause you to crave more.
  • fataalic
    fataalic Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for supporting me. I really appreciate it. :))
    I have tried numerous diets in the past, all of which encourage moderation, and it never worked for me. I never wanted to give up any foods and any diet that was advertising that I simply ignored.
    But, I think that you have to have a supernatural willpower to really stop yourself from bingeing on more sweets and carbs once you taste that one cookie, candy and other foods that trigger your cravings.
    While some people can, I know I can't. And I know that there are many people out there that cannot handle it either.
    I believe it is some kind of chemical imbalance, your brain starts producing neurotransmitters that make you feel good when you eat sweets and high refined carbs, and your body starts telling you to get more and more and more until you feel miserable and despise yourself for not being able to resist.
    I don't want to feel that way ever again. :noway:
  • fataalic
    Options
    Thanks "newhabit".
    If you can't handle sweets and carbs, then avoid them as much as you can.
    It is like poison for some of us.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight easily and without stress on several occasions using no flour, no sugar. It was simple and I felt great. Do what works for you!
    Sometimes this site is for people who like to over-think stuff. If it works and it makes your journey easier and healthier, who cares?! I want to lose weight, not do enough studying to finish my PhD.
  • fataalic
    Options
    The comment about ignoring haters is spot-on. Most people would know better than to suggest that an alcoholic have one light beer. What Kay Sheppard doesn't have is the cutting edge science of my book, THE HUNGER FIX. While her nutrition is sound, she doesn't take an integrative approach to repairing the neurotransmitters destroyed by hyperpalatable foods that contain sugar and flour. Science now shows through new tools like PET and MRI brain scans the addiction-related organic changes that take place in the reward system and the prefrontal cortex. This occurs across all additions, from drugs and alcohol to the newly discovered food addiction. This new pioneering research is also helping us to appreciate a holistic and integrative approach to addiction. I was first senior research fellow in the NIH Office of Complementary Medicine. Using food addiction as template, THE HUNGER FIX addiction plan integrates personal empowerment, spirituality, along with whole food nutrition and restorative physical activity.

I like this approach, too. You and Kay Shepard speak similar language...
    Good luck with your research :love: :happy:
  • fataalic
    Options
    I have lost weight easily and without stress on several occasions using no flour, no sugar. It was simple and I felt great. Do what works for you!
    Sometimes this site is for people who like to over-think stuff. If it works and it makes your journey easier and healthier, who cares?! I want to lose weight, not do enough studying to finish my PhD.

I am in the testing stage of this program. So far it works good and I don't feel deprived. I kind of feel free, free from the obsession with food.
    If it helps me lose weight, great.
    But, will i be able to stay on it my whole life...well, time will show :ohwell:
  • laulyn
    laulyn Posts: 70
    Options
    Sincerely,

Giving up my carby ways really helped me with my food addiction so I am behind you 100%.

My problem is now I've been binging on carbs over christmas it's like giving up crack all over again - but I know that there is truth behind this and you are completely right.

Friend me if you want a like minded buddy :)

That is great! How long have you done this? I have thought about doing this, but I am honestly afraid to. I am afraid of "relapsing". So how do you recover after Christmas? Obviously there will be times one will be faced with challenges such as birthdays and Christmas, what is the best way you have found to handle this?
  • greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Sincerely,

I totally agree with and relate to food addiction...I did Kay's plan for years and went to 12 step meetings too. It's just such a...well, I don't want to use the word "rigid"...but it's quite a challenge for ME to do this for the rest of my life, even if it IS one day at a time. I quit doing it about six years ago but have thought about going back....but somehow I have been able to control my weight with MFP and exercise and actually weigh less than I did while on the plan. But my binges are getting worse again so I may go back to it at some point. I am glad it's working for you! It does work but it's not easy.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I have finally had to do the same thing for the sake of my sanity. Cravings and excess hunger drive me up the wall and take too much energy to fight.

I suspect being ADHD has a lot to do with it. Certain foods calm my brain down and even help me focus a little and in the absence of medication (which I can no longer afford) I believe food was the substitute.

I still can't concentrate worth a darn, but at least the cravings are much less severe. My mood and energy levels seem better, too.

You can do this! It isn't even as hard as you would think. I eat good. Really good, even though I do restrict calories. And I enjoy my meals.
  • jackihf3
    jackihf3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have lost 30 lb this year by eliminating 'white products' from my diet, avoiding processed items as much as possible and reducing animal protein intake. I have found eating this way to be more of an inconvenience than a problem. It takes a bit of planning and educating yourself but my body sends me a very clear signal when I have strayed.
    Stay on this path. Your body will thank you for it!
  • CarmenSandiegoInVA
    CarmenSandiegoInVA Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you. Sounds like you are on the right track.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I'm not a hater, if that works for you thats awesome! :drinker:

However..... I just don't want people to believe this is the ONLY way.

I no longer crave the stuff BECAUSE I allowed myself to eat it. Now that I'm NOT afraid of carbs and I eat enough of them, I don't obsess anymore. Its not this "forbidden" thing that I deprive myself of. It takes time, but now the draw to it is diminished.

It feels awesome to finally be able to have a scoop of ice cream, without the fear that I'll polish off half of the container.
  • suethulin
    suethulin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I have been on the same plan for 2 years now. Have lost 50 pounds, I have cured my diabetes, my cholestrial to at healthy level I am 60 years old and am playing tennis again. I exercise 6 days a week for an hour. My motivation started with a book called, The End of Overeating. I tell myself to grow up and quite feeling sorry for myself, what do I want more, a cookie or to be fit? I even have a group of friends who meet with me every week. We talk about keeping motivated and our successes. I am in no hurry to put sugar and bread back in my diet. I have celebrated 2 Christmases, every family birthday, vacations even a Disney cruiser without sugar and have enjoyed myself.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting to where you are! You want this, you're working at it and you will do fine!

I agree, ignore 'haters'. I was fat because I sat on my *kitten* all day and ate garbage/processed food. I was not addicted and have no idea what an addiction is like, so I cannot judge those who are/were! They do not know your story and if your program works for you, do it!

Good luck! You've got this! :)
  • fataalic
    Options
    The good thing about this program is that you can eat Rye bread, Barley and oat which I like a lot, but don't make me crave it too much.
    Sweets...I can stay away from them if I don't take a bite, then everything goes crazy. :frown:
  • fataalic
    Options
    Way to go! I have been on the same plan for 2 years now. Have lost 50 pounds, I have cured my diabetes, my cholestrial to at healthy level I am 60 years old and am playing tennis again. I exercise 6 days a week for an hour. My motivation started with a book called, The End of Overeating. I tell myself to grow up and quite feeling sorry for myself, what do I want more, a cookie or to be fit? I even have a group of friends who meet with me every week. We talk about keeping motivated and our successes. I am in no hurry to put sugar and bread back in my diet. I have celebrated 2 Christmases, every family birthday, vacations even a Disney cruiser without sugar and have enjoyed myself.

Wow! This is truly amazing. Makes me believe that I can do it. :happy: