I want my skin back!

Options
Anyone have any suggestions to make my acne scars go away get my skin glowing again. My face looks awful anymore and I hate it. It just looks so dull. What foods can I eat, skincare products. Just looking for some suggestions. I really like to go the more natural route on stuff.

Replies

• joywo
    joywo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    fish oil supplements, salmon and go see an aesthetician for a facial and advice.
  • runthisthing
    Options
    Hey thank you!
  • Hey hun! I guess you would maybe get the best advice from a dermatologist/skin therapist. I use a lot of scrubs followed by a skin oil (Darpin). Avocado's and salmon are supposed to be good foods for the skin! Good luck! X
  • dcat4563
    dcat4563 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just recently got the olay pro-x which is one of those electronic brushes, and it has done wonders to my skin in just a few days. it has an exfoliating cream with it, but on amazon many people said they use regular soap and get good results. I also was reading about Argan oil, which i have yet to try for my face, but have read good things about. I do use a conditioner with argan oil and it has done great things for my hair. i have more of the large pores and wrinkles problem than scaring from acne, but have read that it helps with scaring. My husband had good luck with proactive when he had horrible acne, but i'm sure it has chemicals. you may also try something with vitamin E oil or a scar cream that is over the counter.
    Do not worry about putting oils on your face... i actually have used regular olive oil on mine for a while. when you clean your face and get the "dirty" oil that your face produces off, your face wants to replace it with more oil. putting a clean, healthy oil on your face will help keep your face from producing oils.
  • runthisthing
    Options
    Hey hun! I guess you would maybe get the best advice from a dermatologist/skin therapist. I use a lot of scrubs followed by a skin oil (Darpin). Avocado's and salmon are supposed to be good foods for the skin! Good luck! X

Thanks for the advice!
  • runthisthing
    Options
    I just recently got the olay pro-x which is one of those electronic brushes, and it has done wonders to my skin in just a few days. it has an exfoliating cream with it, but on amazon many people said they use regular soap and get good results. I also was reading about Argan oil, which i have yet to try for my face, but have read good things about. I do use a conditioner with argan oil and it has done great things for my hair. i have more of the large pores and wrinkles problem than scaring from acne, but have read that it helps with scaring. My husband had good luck with proactive when he had horrible acne, but i'm sure it has chemicals. you may also try something with vitamin E oil or a scar cream that is over the counter.
    Do not worry about putting oils on your face... i actually have used regular olive oil on mine for a while. when you clean your face and get the "dirty" oil that your face produces off, your face wants to replace it with more oil. putting a clean, healthy oil on your face will help keep your face from producing oils.

Thanks for all the awesome advice!!!
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    For day a good exfoliant with glycolic acid or alpha hydroxy in the am. (Paula's Choice) Follow with an antioxidant serum and sunscreen. At night a good moisturizer followed by Retin A or an over the counter retinol cream. Retin A can fade scars and improve acne.

gentle scrub 2x per week. Like Clinique 7 day scrub. (Neutrogena naturals has a great scrub)
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    A great natural product which is amazing is Tate's Miracle Conditioner. Totally natural and you can use it anywhere. It's amazing! google the reviews. To buy the product (totally worth it) http://www.amazon.com/Tates-The-Natural-Miracle-Conditioner/dp/B00159Y23Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356735469&sr=8-1&keywords=tates+miracle+conditioner

Also my all-time favorite skin care is made by Shaklee called Enfuselle. I have used it for 15+ years, and have never found anything better than their AM repair and PM Repair and Eye Treatment.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,670 Member
    Options
    I've got a girlfriend who has (fading) acne scars who swears by her derma roller. Looks scary to me though.
  • jebo1982
    jebo1982 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water. I also use a face mask made of plain gelatin (mix with a 1tb of milk and heat til warm, apply to face, leave on til dry, and peel off). I also moisturize with coconut oil.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    My skin has gone to hell since I've begun living healthier. I don't understand it. Eating better, drinking more water, exercising - all of it. It's always been blemish prone, but it's greasier and duller than ever now. Ergh.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Water. And Bio-Oil is seriously the best thing i have ever used. It seems really odd to put an oil directly on your face, but I kid you not, it is the BEST. I had bad rosacea, and it is almost completely gone now after only 3 months.

Also, I really just wanted to say "it rubs the lotion on its skin." hehehehe
  • foodcart
    foodcart Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have cystic acne-prone skin and rosacea. I have tried EVERYTHING. The single best thing I did was stop eating dairy products of any kind. It turns out I do have a dairy allergy anyway, but that made the biggest difference in my skin. You could try it -- you should notice a difference in about a month if it is going to help.

Best of luck!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I bought a clairsonic mia to deep cleanse my face---- thus preventing future breakouts.

It's about 100 bucks at Sephora.
  • sarahnyy51
    sarahnyy51 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like olive oil even though it sounds really odd. I usually use it about once a week and it always makes my skin look and feel much better :-)
  • PaprikaPrincess
    PaprikaPrincess Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Clarisonic and Retin A did the most to improve my acne scars. It took awhile but the scars faded and the appearance improved.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Certain acne scars are very deep below the top layer of the skin, no cream or oil will make them go away completely. There are different types of lasers that can be used to get to those lower layers of the skin. IPL, Fraxel to name a few off the top of my head.
  • Rachelmilloy
    Rachelmilloy Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips re fading scars.

I used to see a dermatologist for facial acne in my early 20s. At the time I loved Clinique's 'Dramatically Different' moisturizing lotion, and slathered it on daily. Anyway the dermatologist advised me to stop using moisturizers, and in the almost 40 years since, I have never applied any to my face. I think it took about a month for my skin to adjust and stop flaking off... And believe me I looked like I had a weird skin affliction during the transition period. But in the intervening years, my face has not seemed dry, I have few wrinkles, and people tell me I have 'nice skin'.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    If your skin is dull, a beta hydroxy acid (or alpha hydroxy acid) product will really benefit. I use one every night and put on moisturizer after, and my skin is so soft in the morning. If I forget a night I really notice.

I use Paula's Choice products. Whatever you try, be sure to try for a month or so to give it a good chance. They have a great return/refund policy if it doesn't work out.

Sunscreen is really important. Every morning no matter what.

Eat fruits and veg, and some healthy fats. Vitamin E. Wheat germ, avocado, leafy greens.