Inspiration required

Options
I'm not following a structured exercise programme at the moment. I know - it would be much more effective if I was and it is something I intend to address in the new year! I realised that today, as so often recently, I need to workout (at home - access to some basic equipment and DVDs) but don't know what to do!

So - ideas, inspiration required please!

(FYI I'm reasonably fit - but more cardiovascularly than strength - aiming to address the latter soon - and enjoy a combination of stuff such as aerobics - step and floor, stationary bike, dreadmill running, weights, circuits, yoga, body weight exercises.)

Thanks guys.

Replies

• magicherry
    magicherry Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Getting started is the hardest. It doesn't matter where you start as long as you start.
    If you have exercise DVD's (or a Wii with basic tennis/bowling game) schedule yourself to do it (such as 2-3 times per week for 15-30 minutes).
    Whatever goal (frequency and duration) do that for a week or two then add another activity or add another day to the routine. Do that for a week or two.
    Extend the time period when you can (20-45 minutes) for each work out.
    When spring comes, challenge yourself to add extra outside stuff - gardening is a great calorie burner and it is easy to knock out and hour or more of busy activity on a weekend day.

^^ totally my plan! that's why I am sharing. I just did this for myself.
    currently, my goal routine is
    - 4 days of 45 min treadmill time
    - extra workout on weekend (outside on the rail trail if above 35degrees)
    - extra calories burned by snow shoveling when we get a storm
  • jonad724
    jonad724 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you remember that a small change introduced over a longer time will see a big change in the long run. Do something you enjoy otherwise it will become a chore and you will stop. Especially at New Year people set themselves a number of resolutions and then because there are so many of them they don't stick to them. Make some small changes you can easily incorporate into your life and help them become routine for you. Humans are creatures of habit if we get into a habit we do things without thinking.

Just don't commit to doing too much at the outset and you'll find you're exercising as part of your daily life. Your cardiovascular system doesn't know what exercising you are doing but it does know if you're sitting on the sofa not being active.

Finally I find keeping a log of my exercise motivates me so I can compare last month (and now previous years) and see if I can beat it. If you don't think it works I did 250 hours of exercise on 2012 but I started after recovering from meningitis by walking for 5 minutes a day increasing to 6 after a week etc. I did my first half ironman triathlon this year so the sky is the limit but as the Chinese proverb says 'every long journey starts with one small step'. Good luck!
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks - good suggestions. I have been logging workouts - and used to compare running times and amounts of running each month but as I only do a bit of treadmill running now I think that a focus on strength and logging these will help me to keep up the motivation as I lift heavier. You are so right about new year goals - it's easy to get ambitious but I really need something I can stick with.

Incidentally I decided on yoga today as I'm a bit knackered and over trained which might be half the problem!