What are food processors good for?

Options

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Or just wait for yard-sale season... I picked up a blender this past summer for $3... not just the pitcher and base with the motor but it's a personal "magic bullet" style blender as the base of the pitcher where the blades are spins off and goes on to mason jars, so I have as many "personal" containers for blending shakes etc in for as I need. 250mL 500mL 1L... whatever standard mason jar lid size is on I can use a custom container to suit what I'm making, little bit of spices such as nutmeg for Holiday baking... Just take a "ring" from a mason jar and try it on blenders you find to make sure you get the right one!
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Take about 2-3 cups of dates, and 1/2 or so of almonds and about a tablespoon of cocoa powder, throw it all in.

Blend the shizz outta em, til it turns glossy and like a tough play-dough. (will take awhile maybe 4-5 minutes stopping the machine once in awhile to use a spatula and push the edges down)

Roll it into a tube, chill and cut into small pieces.

Tastes like those...Eat More candy bars.

I did this for weeks.

Gave em to everybody. Such a good treat that isn't too terrible for you.

nice recipe. I'm so stealing that :happy:
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    All of the above, and.... Healthy ice cream!

Chop up bananas and freeze them on a wax papered cookie sheet. When they're frozen, throw em in your processor. Let it go, scrape it down, add berries or cocoa and peanut butter, etc. Whatever kind of ice cream you want. It will look like big pastry dough crumbs for a bit, but keep processing until soft ice cream consistency. Add some almond milk/juice if it's too thick while it's still processing. Voila!
    The bananas are sweet enough that you shouldn't need to add sugar/honey. I do chocolate peanut butter all the time. And my lactose intolerant husband can have ice cream again. :)
  • AZThespian
    AZThespian Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Mine has attachments and I use it to cut/slice veggies! It makes this so much easier (and faster!!). I don't know what kind of food processor you have, but you might see if you can order additional attachments such as slicing and cutting blades. You will use them! <smiles>
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Shredding, slicing, mixing, dicing, kneading bread dough, etc. I love mine. I use it all the time.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    slicing veggies, pureeing stuff together. you can make soups with it, your own dips, hummus, stuff like that. like another poster put, there should be a recipe book with it, and from there you can use that to come up with other ideas too.
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Depending on what kind of blades you have: Grate cheese in a snap, slice onions without a tear, chop nuts quickly and easily, julienne or grate carrots or potatoes....possibilities are endless. Enjoy! I love mine!! :o)
  • AZThespian
    AZThespian Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I never thought about grating potatoes for latkes in the food processor! What a great idea!! :smile:
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I use it to chop up veggies for veggie lasagna.
  • SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Some great replies here!
    I got a food processor for Christmas but it has a separate blender attachment and juicer.
    I want to use the processor for mixing meatballs/ veggie burgers etc, and have been told it is just great for making coleslaw too.
    OH and of course pie crusts and fresh breadcrumbs. :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Processing food.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I recommend a ninja blender! It has food processing abilities (it duals as a food processor) you can use it for pizza dough/cookie dough ETC and you can also use it to make smoothies, milkshakes ,protein shakes etc it's wicked awesome I got one for XMAS and I am beyond excited! I had a regular blender before and it didn't work for a lot

It's great for baking and for doing things like making burgers or meatballs, it really is a HUGE time saver and does things that regular blenders cant. A food procssor is good cos it's smaller I'm wicked excited about my Ninga but it'll take up a ton of room in my tiny kitchen
  • sirabe
    sirabe Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I use it to make peanut butter. To make my regular sugar into superfine sugar. To make my brown rice flour mix into superfine texture as well as mixing it up really good. Chopping veggies . There is no end to the uses.
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Processing food.

^^This. :tongue:

Seriously, I use mine to make my own almond butter.

Oh, and pie dough.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Processing food.

Finally, some good advice! Thank you kind sir!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    mine has a lot of different attachments for slicing, dicing, and grinding. i'm always in the kitchen cooking something and it come in really handy when i have a lot of onions, garlic and other vegetables to chop. great when i'm making my big stews and caseroles.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    dicing up veggies for soup.

making falafel

Babagannush

and like you said, hummus.. I mean if you only ever used it as a humous maker would that not be enough???
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    dicing up veggies for soup.

making falafel

Babagannush

and like you said, hummus.. I mean if you only ever used it as a humous maker would that not be enough???

Haha, yeah I was still pretty happy just to have it as a hummus, salsa and guacamole maker. But now I have lots of ideas.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I make this in it:
    Knorr's spinach dip

1 (10 ounce) package baby spinach, chopped or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
    1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
    1 cup mayonnaise
    1 (8 ounce) package Knorr's vegetable soup mix
    1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped (optional)
    3 green onions, chopped (optional)

You just put them all in the processor and let it go- mix and serve with crackers, or sliced veggies - you can make it healthier by using low fat or fat free sour cream, instead of mayo use greek yogurt, etc. It's always a favorite at parties. the recipe is usually on the box of soup mix. FYI.

http://www.food.com/recipe/knorr-spinach-dip-270248
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I can't live without a food processor… you can cut veggies for recipes in a fraction of the time, make yummy nut spreads, fresh salsa… play in the kitchen, and watch some cooking shows… you will enrich your food life with a food processor. Food is so fun, and most people have no idea where you can go with food.