How much exercise is to much?

Options
So I have recently started going to the y daily because my daughter is finally 3 months old and they will watch her :). Before the most I would go was about 3x's a week. Well lately I am going daily because I feel like I can get away from the kids and know they are safe and being taken care of. It is very relaxing for me to go there and work out for right around 60 - 85 minutes. My question is this :) How many days is ok? Is 7 days to much? I also like going because my husband is at work so it is something I can do to get out of the house with the kids . Do you kwim? I am switching up my exercises and I stopped doing the 30 day shred because I didn't want to get in to much exercise.

Replies

• kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I think exercise (in some form) daily is a good thing. That said, switch it up, don't get hurt and don't get burnt out! Because it's much more important to work out regularly forever than daily for a little while. But either way, congrats on the little one AND congrats on getting in all that workout time!!
  • NancyMoedt
    NancyMoedt Posts: 207
    Options
    You need to do what's best for you and may be ask your doctor. I know a few people have worked out 6 days a week and rested on the seventh day and I also know of people who work out one day and rest the next day and alternate that way.

:happy:
  • elephantmeg
    elephantmeg Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way! I go to the gym for a break. I do work outside the home part time so I don't make it every day and when I do go several days in a row I try to mix it up a little. I do a class one day, run another, do the elliptical another. I think "they" recommend a day off a week so maybe take a weekend day off? Good job!!!
  • AmberMommyTo2G1B
    AmberMommyTo2G1B Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    :) Thanks. I guess it all just depends on what hubby's schedule is because that really is the only way I will go to the gym so often. Next week is supposed to be his short week (he works 2 days next week) so it might be less that I go. Thanks so much for the input.
  • mrayniak
    mrayniak Posts: 38
    Options
    I'm also interested to hear what people say... I don't think there is such a thing as too much exercise (look at the biggest looser). You just need to make sure you are eating enough to fuel your body. I go to the gym for 1 1/2 hours in the morning and 30 min. on my lunch break and do a total of 90 min cardio and the rest resistance. I have seen a steady weight loss and find if I don't work out on the weekends, especially since I eat different (still healthy and in my calorie goal but not as many snacks) I will gain.
  • mlv333
    mlv333 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't believe there is a too much. Just make a plan that you can stick with. You don't want to burn out, b/c you won't go back. I workout 60 min/day for 6 days a week. And I do something different everyday. I just started making one of my days swimming. I can only do 30 minutes of freestyle and breast stroke, but my goal is to get it up to 60.