Truth or Myth?

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    1) 45 calories is a tiny drop in a large bucket and I wouldn't concern yourself with this.

But that's aside from your question so:

2) The differences are going to be somewhere between negligible and zero. You should work-out when you most enjoy working out. .

More importantly I'll include this tidibt that you should think about:

All that matters is where you land over the course of weeks or months in terms of net change in bodyfat. Change in fat is the difference between fat oxidation and fat storage. You're basically fluctuating between periods of fat storage and fat oxidation and all that you should care about is that you're oxidizing more fat than you are storing.

This will happen in a caloric deficit regardless of whether or not you're burning extra calories in your sleep, or during the day. This is also why it doesn't matter whether or not you eat a big meal at night vs at breakfast.

You need to create an energy deficit and you should exercise when you prefer to exercise.

Do this and you will lose fat. And you don't need to worry about the things you posted about, although I don't fault you for asking.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If there's an afterburn from exercise it will happen regardless of what time it is. I find exercising right before bed makes it harder to get to sleep and your exercise doesn't burn off the food in your stomach so as long as you stay in your budget it really doesn't matter when you eat or exercise.
  • WinterGirl_101
    WinterGirl_101 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    -
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat or exercise.

I find exercising before bed negatively effects my sleep.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It makes no difference as to when you do them, assuming the energy expended at the time is the same. Do them when you want and when makes sense based on your energy levels.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Okay thanks for the help. My entire routine is based around calories eaten and burnt it helps me keep control over the matter so I will remain focused on that but thanks for the advise. And I agree with you on the getting to sleep, That's why I love my bedtime cup of tea and maybe a little tv it gets me out of workout mode and into a relaxed sleepy state. I like my nightime routine and i think I'll keep it but I do appreciate the advise and knowledge given :)

I'm not suggesting that you ignore calories. I'm suggesting that you don't need to micromanage the timing of nutrients with the timing of exercise to try and burn off things in the short term.

For example, if you eat a big breakfast you do not need to micromanage your activity to prevent acute fat storage.

Or you don't need to avoid eating a big dinner for fear of gaining fat in your sleep.

You just need to get in proper nutrition, eat at a caloric deficit, and do some exercise and ALL of that minutia will manage itself without you ever having to think about it.
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    As your diary set for 700 cals a day, I really wouldn't bother worrying about 45 in a cup of tea.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    As your diary set for 700 cals a day, I really wouldn't bother worrying about 45 in a cup of tea.

Holy cr@p - your avi says it all.

OP: Hun - eat more and stop worrying about the small stuff.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    How tall are you, OP?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options

Hun - eat more and stop worrying about the small stuff.

This. Your base calorie level is 500. It should be much higher. 1200 at least.
  • WinterGirl_101
    Options
    -
  • WinterGirl_101
    Options

-
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Wow. I seriously hope you are forgetting to log food because, when you do, you reportedly eat 99, 265, 397 calories....That is way too little for your present weight. I hope you haven't developed an eating disorder by eating this low for a long time.
  • SideSteel
    Options

http://fattyfightsback.blogspot.com/2009/03/mtyhbusters-starvation-mode.html
    1200 will not loose me weight especially since I can't burn that much in a day I don't have money to go to a gym I have to buy any supplies via xmas money and what little i get from my paychecks that do not cover bills, my house isn't big enough to hold any decent workout equipment ether. So i can't burn more than maybe 300 cals a day max. I eat less to make up for the lack of calories I can burn. I love this article because it exposes the fraud of the magic 1200 which does nothing. You need to eat what you can properly make up for by exorbitance and I simply don't have the means to make up for that many. There is nothing majoc about 1200 cals its just blowing smoke up our rears and I'm not wasting my time on that wives tale XD

The only part you are correct about is that there's nothing magical about the number 1200.

You are failing to consider the energy requirements of sustaining basic bodily functions. Even in the absence of all exercise, just sitting in a chair doing nothing, you are burning more than 300 calories. You are burning more than 300 calories if you slept all day.
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    After reading your profile and looking at your user name more closely, seems to me that you are pro ana, which is not acceptable on this site. Also, the book you borrowed your user name from was not glorifying eating disorders, no matter how much you try to make it so.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options

1200 will not loose me weight especially since I can't burn that much in a day I don't have money to go to a gym I have to buy any supplies via xmas money and what little i get from my paychecks that do not cover bills, my house isn't big enough to hold any decent workout equipment ether. So i can't burn more than maybe 300 cals a day max. I eat less to make up for the lack of calories I can burn. I love this article because it exposes the fraud of the magic 1200 which does nothing. You need to eat what you can properly make up for by exercise and I simply don't have the means to make up for that many. There is nothing majoc about 1200 cals its just blowing smoke up our rears and I'm not wasting my time on that wives tale XD

There is definitely nothing magic about 700 cals per day either.

http://thefitgirls.com/tdee-calculator.aspx

After plugging in your current stats, to maintain your current weight in a coma you would need to be eating at least 1300 calories. If you exercise at a moderate level (3-5 times per week) you're looking at 2100 calories to maintain.

What are your goals, OP? A number? A certain physique? Being healthy?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    You are likely burning 1200 just by existing. You don't need to workout to burn every calorie you consume, your body burns calories the entire time it is alive. Only eating 500 calories a day is not enough to fuel what your body needs to do over the course of a day and you will end up with very serious health problems. There is no equipment necessary to eat properly.

I didn't read the article because it's likely either total bullsh!t or you have taken (out of context) the tidbits that are what you want to hear.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

1200 will not loose me weight especially since I can't burn that much in a day I don't have money to go to a gym I have to buy any supplies via xmas money and what little i get from my paychecks that do not cover bills, my house isn't big enough to hold any decent workout equipment ether. So i can't burn more than maybe 300 cals a day max. I eat less to make up for the lack of calories I can burn. I love this article because it exposes the fraud of the magic 1200 which does nothing. You need to eat what you can properly make up for by exercise and I simply don't have the means to make up for that many. There is nothing majoc about 1200 cals its just blowing smoke up our rears and I'm not wasting my time on that wives tale XD

You need to do better research. VLCDs run the risk of malnutrition, excess loss of LBM, hormonal imbalance and metabolic adaptation among a bunch of other issues.

At 5 1 and 128 lb your BMR should be about 1,300 and your TDEE about 1,500 with no exercise. It seems as though you love that article because it justifies you eating a ridiculously low amount of calories - and btw, it is not even a proper article - its some persons blog.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options
    I know there's nothing magical about 1200, but even the smallest women I know need to eat at least that to be healthy. I'm not talking about "starvation mode" but simply eating enough calories to get all essential nutrients, protein, fat, etc and to have enough energy to make it through the day.
  • WinterGirl_101
    Options
    OK obviously I can't ask a simple question without getting a lecture from people who I don't know and don't know me. All I wanted to know is if I burnt calories in my sleep if I worked out right before bed the 45 calorie thing was just an example I don't care if I burn off my tea or not like you all said its not important. This is my last post and I'm not going to respond to this thread anymore I got my answers I don't need a health class too.