cow milk alternatives??

Options
im trying realllyyyy hard not to have cow milk but sadly im one of those people that is ADDICTED. i loovvveee milk ! but 1. its high in calories 2. its not all that good for you 3. hormones (because i would have holes in pocket if i bought organic every time) & 4.because the human species is the only one that drinks milk from other animals .

i tried the new coconut milk & hated it . im eeehhh about almond milk because of the nutty taste it has to it & i like soy milk but i dnt want soy on a regular basis in my diet

PPLLEEEAASSEEE HEEELLPP

Replies

• naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    What if you did a half and half - regular milk and one of the others? You would reduce your cals, but maybe maintain some of the flavor you like? Personally, I am a coconut milk person.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    why don't you want soy in your diet?

I personally love almond milk, its the bomb, I don't taste nuts in it at all. Have you tried Blue diamond brand?
  • Bellevuebell
    Bellevuebell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    keep trying the unsweetenened Almond milk. At 30 cal is the best bet out there. Your tastebuds wil adjust, give them time.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    find a reputable local farmer and get your hands on some raw milk, or goat milk. Both extremely good for you!
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    keep trying the unsweetenened Almond milk. At 30 cal is the best bet out there. Your tastebuds wil adjust, give them time.
    My wife likes Almond milk too....give it a go and decide for yourself.
    It's OK, but I prefer COW MILK...:devil:
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I switched from cows milk to Almond milk a long time ago - I actually prefer the almond milk now. i was drinking skim milk before - have you tried that vs 1 or 2%. I like the idea of going 1/2 milk, 1/2 either coconut or almond milk.
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    sounds like you already outed most of the alternatives....any others ie oat milk, hemp milk, raw milk, will most likely be just as unappetizing or expensive as the other alternatives. Good call on not doing soy; I do almond milk and you get used to it. I dont drink it by itself ever, its sort of thick to my taste buds.

If youre addicted to cows milk, maybe your body is craving nutrients from it that you can get in other foods...figure out what you need!

OR just go cold turkey/portion control. just like with any other food you really like...

good luck!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    cow milk, ain't nothin wrong with that. Also not hard to avoid rgbh, and still buy cheap milk.
    coconut/almond milk is full of carrageenan. no thanks.
  • Chinadorian
    Options
    im trying realllyyyy hard not to have cow milk but sadly im one of those people that is ADDICTED. i loovvveee milk ! but 1. its high in calories 2. its not all that good for you 3. hormones (because i would have holes in pocket if i bought organic every time) & 4.because the human species is the only one that drinks milk from other animals .

i tried the new coconut milk & hated it . im eeehhh about almond milk because of the nutty taste it has to it & i like soy milk but i dnt want soy on a regular basis in my diet

PPLLEEEAASSEEE HEEELLPP

Drink cow milk, there are benefits to drinking it. Don't let myth and rumors dictate your decisions. It doesn't make sense, if you like it, drink it. There are probably more chemicals in your fruits and vegetables.

what myths exactly? :)

its scientifically proven that the "calcium" in conventional milk actually leaches calcium from your bones. (sorry to burst bubbles)
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I personally don't get any nuttiness from almond milk. Maybe you just have to get used to it?
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

its scientifically proven that the "calcium" in conventional milk actually leaches calcium from your bones. (sorry to burst bubbles)

th?id=H.4730576585623424&pid=1.7
  • thickntired
    thickntired Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't like unsweetened almond milk, so I have get the vanilla one. I don't like the taste of rice milk and I try to avoid cow milk. The vanilla almond milk is 90 calories for a cup, still less than cow milk, and you usually only need half a cup for things like cereal and whatnot. If you want to use it to make hot cereal or something that needs milk I tend to go half almond milk and half water. Then you only get 45 calories instead of the full 90 with half a cup. I'm not a fan of drinking it on it's own, but I will if I have to. The vanilla flavoring makes it a little easier to handle for me. If you simply must have cow milk then go with skim milk, less calories and fat but you still get your cow milk.
  • Chinadorian
    Options

Most people do not have the necessary amounts of vitamin D to process the calcium that is in milk. Studies have shown that overdoing dairy consumption leads to greater bone density issues, especially in women. did you not get the memo??
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Most people do not have the necessary amounts of vitamin D to process the calcium that is in milk. Studies have shown that overdoing dairy consumption leads to greater bone density issues, especially in women. did you not get the memo??

I did miss the memo. Do you have a link?
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I'm sure she will return with 'proof' from T. Colin Campbell, PhD in quackery.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Almond milk unsweetened vanilla & unsweetened chocolate is delicious to me and that's what I drink besides water.
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    We don't drink much, but when we are having cow's milk, it's organic whole milk (3.8%).

If you really want an alternative, coconut or almond milk are pretty good (definitely stay away from the gmo soy stuff). I have found a huge difference in flavour based on the brands though, so it might just be a matter of finding one you like.
  • ethieman
    ethieman Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    There has been found to be NO difference between organic milk and normal milk. The hormones referred to are found in ANY kind of milk (even human), because the cows produce it naturally (BST is reqiuired for milk production). Technically, traditionally produced agricultural products receive much more oversight and have higher regulations than the mostly unregulated "organic" sector (myself and my family are producers and involved in agriculture from the local all the way to the national levels).

I avoid cows milk because it does not agree with my stomach, so I drink the Almond Beeze coconut/almond blend, seems to take the edge off of both types of milk.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Milk is not bad for you. it is popular to say that it has "hormones" in it, but it does not. There is no difference in the growth hormone levels in the milk from cows that are treated with hormones vs milk from cows that are not.
    Milk is healthy in a lot of ways. It is also popular to claim that we are not "meant" to drink the milk of other species as adults and that people are often lactose intolerant. People are far more often NOT lactose intolerant. We are mot "meant" to take antibiotics or other man-made pharmaceuticals, get vaccines to protect against diseases, eat canned food or watch TV, either. It's all about perspective. There is a lot about milk that is very good for you in moderation. I don't drink glasses of it anymore because it's so high in calories, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy healthy dairy products regularly.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

PPLLEEEAASSEEE HEEELLPP

Drink cow milk, there are benefits to drinking it. Don't let myth and rumors dictate your decisions. It doesn't make sense, if you like it, drink it. There are probably more chemicals in your fruits and vegetables.

what myths exactly? :)

Oh really? Care to share the scientific studies that prove it then? I've never found any in the thousands of nutritional studies I've read over the years, so I'd really like to see this "proof."