Getting Over Exercise Embaressment?

Options
How do you get over feeling embarrassed to exercise?

I often put off exercise until my partner is at work so he can't see me. But he's on 2 weeks holidays and it seems like I'll have to not exercise for 2 weeks... it just feels really awkward and embarrassing to exercise in front of him.

Any tips on getting over it?

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk or run by yourself instead? Go in another room and work out.

I don't like working out at home in front of anyone either, but I either run or work out at the gym. At the gym, we're all in our own little world, so I don't care who's around me.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    I felt the same for a while but just sucked it up and didn't let it become an excuse to not exercise. And after a week or so , my exercising on the tv with the wii became so annoying to him that he'd go off and do his guy things while I worked out.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I told my husband not to stare at me when I'm working out, he could be in the same house, though I'd prefer not same room while I'm doing it. I just asked him nicely. I told him I felt dumb doing it in front of him and he of course told me I'm crazy and he doesn't care, he usually plays on his phone in the kitchen and I'm in the family room.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I like to walk and hike with my bf, and we go to the gym together so I don't mind walking/jogging on the treadmill with him there. I'm less comfortable on the stationary bike, but it doesn't bother me too much.

However, when I do an exercise DVD (I'm doing the 30 Day Shred), I go in a bedroom and close the door. I have outright told him, I can't do all the exercises right and I don't want him to see me. He just shrugged. I had to tell him why I was locking myself in a room, but it doesn't bother him. Don't let it stop you from working out! If you are using a DVD, can you bring a laptop into the bedroom instead of using the TV in the living room?
  • KathieG2013
    KathieG2013 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like to walk and hike with my bf, and we go to the gym together so I don't mind walking/jogging on the treadmill with him there. I'm less comfortable on the stationary bike, but it doesn't bother me too much.

However, when I do an exercise DVD (I'm doing the 30 Day Shred), I go in a bedroom and close the door. I have outright told him, I can't do all the exercises right and I don't want him to see me. He just shrugged. I had to tell him why I was locking myself in a room, but it doesn't bother him. Don't let it stop you from working out! If you are using a DVD, can you bring a laptop into the bedroom instead of using the TV in the living room?

exactly what I do , go to another room (my studio in my case) and lock the door. Boyfriend and kids are told I am exercising so not to bother me for the next hour. Works just fine.
  • bigfatbino
    bigfatbino Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem. I hated the thought that "everyone was going to laugh at the fat guy exercising." In the gym, or running on the road, wherever. "They" were watching and laughing.

I just said "I don't give a F%#. I'm out here exercising, and they are all sitting on their backsides in cars passing by, or sitting on a gym machine taking up space.

Just do it for you, and screw what anyone else thinks about it. =)
  • emmuci
    emmuci Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I think you could go for a jog early in the morning, that way you'll less seen by people, that is what i have done for a long time cause i didn't like it either to be exposed when exercising :smile:
    Or try to go to the gym, and hey, believe me after loosing weight i realized that being overweight and exercising is actually something to look up at and not laugh at. It actually gives motivation. And if someone laughs that is his own damn problem cause in the end i'll laugh when i'm gonna get slim and fit! So chins up and believe in yourself!:drinker:
  • peterzion
    Options
    When I go to the gym, I notice that many people are healthy, thin, and good looking. I figure if I keep going to the gym I will eventually look the same way. Simple philosophy but works for me. This reminds me of Winston Churchill, when a lady accused him of being drunk...

"You are drunk Sir Winston, you are disgustingly drunk. 'Yes, Mrs. Braddock, I am drunk. But you, Mrs. Braddock are ugly, and disgustingly fat. But, tomorrow morning, I, Winston Churchill will be sober."
  • Janelle173
    Janelle173 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I work out in the bedroom while he is in the living room hanging out with our baby. If I had to work out in the living room, I would ask him to leave for a bit, either to the bedroom, the basement (where he can work out if he is motivated to do so) or to the kitchen. I normally don't let him see me work out at all...My work out clothes show off every little bit of me that I try and constantly hide! lol. BUT, after like 2 weeks of consistently working out, he had to come in the room to grab something. I slowed down and was distracted, he said "don't stop just cus I am in here, keep on going" as a little motivator...and then the next day complimented me and said that he was noticing my body was changing from the effort I was putting in. I don't know if he hadn't noticed up to that point because he didn't ever see me work out so to him, he wasn't thinking about noticing, or if he was just saying he noticed to help keep me motivated...but it was nice to hear.

I def would not let it be a reason to stop working out. My baby was sick, I went with out sleep for 3 days and 3 nights straight, had a week of hell, then my SO and I ended up sick, then the baby got sick again, and so from then, it knocked me off my work out schedule and it has been hard to get back on the wagon!
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    it annoys the **** outta me when my partner is around me when im exercising........i tell him to bugger off"
    I usually workout before he gets up .
    At the gym i could not care less......... we are all there for the same reasons.
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I guess I might have to turn into a morning person... lol!
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I cant let my husband watch me do aerobics. pretty funny when you think about it. hes seen me naked, which is scary in its own right, he was there when I got a c section and was cut in half, but i'll be damned if he sees me work out. he goes into our room and plays a game or watches a movie so I can work out.
  • twinkle77toes
    Options
    Set the alarm early and do it first thing - best for your metabolism at that time anyway.
    Or just speak to your fella and say, I need to do my exercised but don't want an audience - are you ok to stay out of the room / you want to pop to the coffee shop / anything you need to do while I do my exercise......

I get up and get out first thing for a run come rain or shine. sets me up for the day and in the winter months, not many people see you either :)
  • Dexy_
    Options
    I would do it in our bedroom but the bed hardly fits in it! Let alone me jumping about >< haha.

I'll have to start getting up earlier... which is hard because this household doesn't even think about getting out of bed until 9am!

No excuses I suppose... but waking up kids will really suck :( Just gotta do it.
  • JessPerez1
    Options
    By exercising in front of your mate, this may motivate him, and show him how hard you work to get in shape. It may spark another reason to appreciate you. Just saying :)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I cant let my husband watch me do aerobics. pretty funny when you think about it. hes seen me naked, which is scary in its own right, he was there when I got a c section and was cut in half, but i'll be damned if he sees me work out. he goes into our room and plays a game or watches a movie so I can work out.

Haha funny isn't it! My husband has seen me give birth twice, but I really don't want to exercise in front of him! He bought me a Zumba game for the X Box for xmas and I haven't tried it out yet. I was waiting for when I had some peace and quiet and privacy!

I'm not bothered when I go to the gym though. I don't think anyone pays anyone else any attention.
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    The way that I had gone over my exercise embarrassment had been by taking cardio dance classes such as Zumba and Hip-Hop Fitness... Basically, I found a form of exercise that I like very much no matter what...

I then just stopped worrying about what other people think...
  • aalpass
    aalpass Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Why are you embarassed? Do you feel he is going to judge you? If he's a caring loving husband he will just be proud of you which will hopefully boost your motivation to keep on keeping on.
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    noone is ever around when i exercise at the gym its not that i would mind its the fact everyone clears out when i do the nipple dance to warm up right before my work out for those that need a mental picture i basically pinch my nipples while flapping my arms like a chicken while marching in place and ofcorse the nipple song ahhhhhh gotta sing the nipple song
  • Dexy_
    Options
    Why are you embarassed? Do you feel he is going to judge you? If he's a caring loving husband he will just be proud of you which will hopefully boost your motivation to keep on keeping on.

It's just embarrassing because he's in really good shape even though he smokes, and eats like it's his last meal!

I guess it just annoys me having him around when I'm working so hard to get what he has without trying... damn green eyed monster! :P