Calories and Exercise

Options
Ok, this may be a stupid question, but I am still trying to figure out exactly how many calories to eat. I know that my body needs around 1300 calories to function if I just sat around on the couch all day and did no activity (my BMR). Adding in the activity of a lightly active job (I am a nanny with three boys to watch all under the age of 6) I am looking at around 1600 calories a day. Now for my goal weight and time frame, I am down to 1140 calories per day. So, my question is... If I eat 1140 calories, then workout and burn off say 500 calories, do I then need to eat 500 more calories to keep at the 1140? Or is that, eating 1140 calories period, whether I work out or not? My reason for asking is that I know it is just as important to eat enough as it is to not over eat. I have no problem keeping my calories down to 1140, but I am still having trouble loosing the weight, so I am thinking it might be that I am not getting enough. Any thoughts?

Replies

• hollymires
    hollymires Posts: 117
    Options
    you need to eat more...add in your exercise calories. :)
  • sinman22807
    sinman22807 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think when you burn your calories you have the right to eat them back (at least thats how this page shows it) But you need to eat at least 1200 to function properly. For example, I am 164 and i want to get down to 135. So i have to eat around 1550 a day and burn 600 a week to lose 1lb a week. Which is healthy. But anything under 1200 i heard can "starve" your body and it wont lose weight.
  • mfolsom
    mfolsom Posts: 8
    Options
    Eat back the calories your burn in healthy nutritious calories to refuel your body for all the hard work:)
  • birgithooker
    Options
    Eat back your exercize calories. It seems counterintuitive but you need those cals. If you eat too little calories you won't lose the weight.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    First thing you are currently below the recommended 1200 calories needed for a healthy diet, so you need to try and eat more

Second if you are at 1140 calories before adding the workout and then you burn 500 calories....what that means is you really should be eating 1640 worth of calories on the days you do work out....You need to eat your workout calories in healthy food, there are days you will have calories left over I am sure...but you shouldnt be eating below 1200

There are days I have calories left over, but I try hard to stay above the 1200 calories atleast

Good luck
  • Bleux
    Bleux Posts: 186
    Options
    Ok, thanks everyone for the advice. I guess I need to eat more!!! Woo-hoo!! :laugh:
  • mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    Options
    My weight stalls if I eat under 1300 calories and I put on if I eat over 1600, I found this out by playing around with my calories. I aim for 1400. That was there is a leeway either way and I manage it okay. 1100 is very low, definitely eat more :)