Your most filling GF vegetarian foods?????

Options
Jeneba
Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
I now have ten pounds to lose due to a recent injury that kept me out of the gym for over a month. I am DREADING feeling hungry during the weight loss phase because I know it will only cause me to binge later.... Would LOVE your suggestions on how to feel less hunger while keeping to my dietary restrictions. I am lacto-ovo, so dairy is ok... Thank you!!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Jeneba
    Options
    BUMP! I know you are out there......
  • edennew
    edennew Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I love brown rice pasta with homemade marinara and steamed veggies- super filling and yummy! Also, i make a salad with quinoa, black beans, cilantro, green onions, red bell pepper and a light spicy vinaigrette. it's great on a bed of greens with grated jack cheese and a corn tortilla!
  • Jeneba
    Options
    OH YES!!!! Quinoa!!! That is a really great idea!!!! Going to prepare some today - thanks!!!!
  • doyewole
    Options
    what does GF mean?

I'm gonna take a leap and say gluten free??
  • Jeneba
    Options
    Yes! Doyawole - Gluten Free!!! :heart:
  • SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Wow, gluten free and vegetarian sounds tough! I would suggest split pea soup or veggie chilie.
  • Jeneba
    Options
    Hi Sarah - yes it is really obnoxious sometimes! What I would give for a decent loaf of bread!!! But - What I WOuld GIve doesn't include the migraines that come from eating wheat so I guess I have to learn to live with the deprivation. I think your ideas about soup are spot on! I am going to see if I can find some pre-cut butternut squash - so easy to cook up a batch with some onion & then puree with a hand-held mixer.... THANKS!
  • sbusarah
    sbusarah Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You may want to post in the group Gluten Free as they may have more answers for you.

I agree with quinoa idea. Personally I prefer it in pasta form but either is great. I like to then find a GF sauce and saute veggies with sauce or seasonings for a yummy meal.
  • Jongfaith
    Options
    My go to low calorie veg food is Tofu salad sandwiches. Firm tofu drained and mashed with a fork. add mustard, vinagar. oniion, celery, and relish until you love it! sometimes I just eat it with a spoon and forego the carbs!

Good luck!
  • Jeneba
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me! I have some quinoa pasta in the cupboard!
  • Jeneba
    Options
    And p thanks for telling me about the GF Groups - I just joined two of them!
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I looove my flourless pancakes. One mushed banana, 2 eggs, 1 tblspoon peanut butter, vanilla sugar, baking powder, 1/4 cup apple sauce, cinnamon, mix all together and cook like regular pancakes. yummmm
  • sarrymerry
    sarrymerry Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    brown rice and black beans on greens covered with chopped veggies like corn, cukes, zucchini, avocado, tomatoes, onion, red pepper, and topped with salsa is one of my favorites
  • deeksha_s
    deeksha_s Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Do Rice and Jowar count as glutem free?

You can make Indian roti using rice or Jowar flour and pair it with any vegetable curry. Also chickpea flour can be used to make curries and flat bread. If you're interested, I can name a few names and then you cane easily google for recipes.

There's also Ragi(Finger Millet) very nutritious and can be used to make flat breads, biscuits. Im also not sure about corn meal but it is great too.
  • sarrymerry
    sarrymerry Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    oh and winter squash tacos are amazing. corn tortilla with kale, cubed squash, caramelized onions, and garlic, with melted cheese on top. sooo good!
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    It's tough being GF and veg. I gave that up when my fiance (now DH) moved in. Now I eat limited amounts of poultry when he cooks for both of us. It helps keep the sanity. :)

As far as recipes/ ideas:

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2007/04/veggie-lovers-shepherds-pie.html
    Check out Gluten-Free Vegan: http://recipes.xgfx.org/

I do a fair bit of shopping at the Asian grocery store, so if you see ingredients that are not familiar, they probably come from there. :)
    - clear rice wraps, shredded lettuce, shredded carrots, clear rice vermicelli noodles (cooked), and tofu. Finish with sauce of choice (peanut?)

- Egg salad - hardboiled eggs and avocado. That's it. Sometimes I'll remove a yolk for the sake of calories.

- two packages of shiritaki, rinsed WELL, cooked, and mixed with two wedges of Laughing Cow Garlic Herb. (If you're not familiar with these noodles, let me know. There's a little more to them.)

(edited to add):

- Trader Joes curry sauce, sauteed veggies, and clear rice noodles, or flat shiritaki

- I've heard abot recipes for quinoa burgers

- Veg chili with TVP and lots of veggies, like carrots

Hope that helps!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Soups and stir-fries made with a ton of fresh veggies and a small amount of brown rice and/or beans. You'd be amazed how very MUCH food you get when you emphasize things like cauliflower and peppers.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Is GF = Girl Friend?

If so, I guess you could use lettuce as a condom and go to town on her?
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    halloumi light with a ton of salad and a teaspoon of olive oil.
  • minionofevil
    minionofevil Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I make a homemade vegetarian chili, and it is super protein packed and filling! 3-5 cans of beans, spices, a bit of salsa, a 16oz can of diced tomatoes, and cook.