Slow Cooker Recipes

Options
Hi Guys

Just brought myself a slow cooker and wondering if any of y'all know of any good recipes for a chicken/vegetarian or can point me in the direction of some tried and tested recipes?

Thanks

Replies

• mrykyldy2
    mrykyldy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Okay here is one for Salsa Chicken:
    4 Chicken Breasts
    1 cup salsa
    1 cup sour cream
    1 tbs. taco seasoning

Spray crock pot with non stick spray, place ingredients in crockpot in the following order: chicken, sprinkle taco seasoning on chicken, salsa, and sour cream. Cook on low for about 8 -10 hours. About 6-7 hours into cooking, shred chicken on a plate and return to pot to finish cooking. Serve over the noodles or rice of your choice.

Now this is for about a 5 quart crock pot and it serves 4. I will warn you that the portion is HUGE so you won't need but maybe a half serving of noodles or rice.

There are so many cookbooks out there for the slow cooker. My favorite is the fix and forget it cookbook for slow cookers. That one has about 6 variations of each recipe. Your best bet if you don't want to spend a lot of money is to check out the library. I have also had really good luck with going to barnes and noble and copying recipes out of the book while in the store. You can also check out Allrecipes.com they have a good database. I also use an app called pepperplate.com. I can access it on my computer and on my nook, it really helps a lot in the kitchen. I have found many recipes for my families favorite veggies. Eating them steamed was getting old real fast.

Have fun with your new crock pot!!!
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to one that I have made before and it is pretty yummy! I need to dust off my crock pot and cook something yummy up!

http://www.fullmeasureofhappiness.com/2011/03/07/meatless-monday-moroccan-lentil-stew-crock-pot/
  • kickballgirl
    kickballgirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love this one!

-skinless, boneless chicken
    -cream of chicken
    -cream of broccoli
    -Broccoli
    -rice(brown)

Put as much chicken as you want i normally do about 4, then the can of cream of chicken and the can of cream of broccoli
    throw in your raw broccoli, let cook for the time you set it on (6-8hr.) within the last hour add 2 cups of rice and a cup of water

Everything you put in it is raw so you dont need to pre cook anything :D
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of soup recipes will work in the crock pot with little or no adaptation.

Allrecipes.com is the site I use for recipes in general. You can search for recipes that use ingredients you have on hand, and can specify that you want slow cooker recipes.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Chicken & Dumplings: 5 large servings

1.5 lbs of thawed boneless skinless chicken breasts
    3 cans of Campbells Healthy Request Cream of Chicken (it's almost fat free and about 1/2 the sodium of the regular version).
    1.5 cartons (I believe their either 24oz or 32 oz) Swanson No Unsalted chicken stock
    Rosemary, parsley, thyme, sage, basil, marjoram, and black pepper to taste. (I like mine herby & peppery so it's about 1 tbsp of each herb and 50 turns on the pepper mill.
    1 can of butter me not regular size refrigerator biscuits.

Cook everything but the biscuits until chicken is done (low 6 hours, high 4). Turn up to high (if not already) for an hour. Remove chicken and shred on a plate. Cut each biscuits into 9 pieces and drop into the liquid in the crock pot. Stir gently. Add in shredded chicken and mush everything down gently so that the liquid is on top of the chicken and dumplings. Cook for about another hour & serve.

According to MFP recipe tab, it's approximately 350 cals per serving. Biggest factor is the type of biscuits you use.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    You can do a pot roast or pork shoulder too and give yourself several pounds of meat for other uses.
  • mrykyldy2
    mrykyldy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Okay here is one for Salsa Chicken:
    4 Chicken Breasts
    1 cup salsa
    1 cup sour cream
    1 tbs. taco seasoning

Spray crock pot with non stick spray, place ingredients in crockpot in the following order: chicken, sprinkle taco seasoning on chicken, salsa, and sour cream. Cook on low for about 8 -10 hours. About 6-7 hours into cooking, shred chicken on a plate and return to pot to finish cooking. Serve over the noodles or rice of your choice.

Now this is for about a 5 quart crock pot and it serves 4. I will warn you that the portion is HUGE so you won't need but maybe a half serving of noodles or rice.

There are so many cookbooks out there for the slow cooker. My favorite is the fix and forget it cookbook for slow cookers. That one has about 6 variations of each recipe. Your best bet if you don't want to spend a lot of money is to check out the library. I have also had really good luck with going to barnes and noble and copying recipes out of the book while in the store. You can also check out Allrecipes.com they have a good database. I also use an app called pepperplate.com. I can access it on my computer and on my nook, it really helps a lot in the kitchen. I have found many recipes for my families favorite veggies. Eating them steamed was getting old real fast.

Have fun with your new crock pot!!!

I forgot the one can of cream of mushroom soup. I use the low fat one.
  • sweetcheeks1978
    Options
    Thanks so much guys for the recommendations - really appreciated.

Gonna put the crock pot to the test tomorrow, will let y'all know how it turns out.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KJ7777
    KJ7777 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sweetcheeks1978
    Options
    Rice, Chicken and Gungo Peas Pelau

-3 Chicken Thighs
    -Tin of Gungo peas
    -1 cup of rice
    -Table spoon of brown sugar

Marinade the chicken overnight (marinade - in soy sauce, tomato ketchup, garlic, black pepper, ground ginger, ground nutmeg), then when ready, add 1 tbsp of olive oil in a pan with 1 tbsp of brown sugar wait until it just about to burn then add the chicken and stir, once chicken is brown (in colour) put in the slow cooker along with 1 tin of gungo peas and leave on low for approx 4 hrs. Then add 1 cup of rice and a little water, leave for further 1 hr, on low, and you’ll end up with a delicious pelau.