How do you get in 10,000 steps with a desk job??

Options
The goal is 10,000 steps a day, so I'm looking for ideas here! I already do the following (1) park in a far spot, (2) take stairs and not elevator, (3) try to get a few steps in every hour, and then I take a walk after work. 6,000 to 7,000 is my average.

Tomorrow I am going to start walking a mile at lunch no matter how cold it is!! That should help I guess.

Ok, ideas??

Replies

• plaingirly
    Options
    Would love some ideas too!

Really want a pedometer!! I already walk to and from work 5 days a week but sit down all day. x
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i work a desk job, and no matter how many "potty" breaks I take during the day, 7000 is about the most I can get in. Even with a walk after work. Let me know if you find the secret.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm not counting my steps but in general when possible i walk to people's desks to ask them quick questions rather than email or IM.
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I fill my water cup with only about 2 drinks, so it is an easy excuse to get up and walk to the water cooler several times an hour!

I work in a very small office, and the water cooler, which is pretty far away, is only like a 30 step round trip. I keep meaning to buy a pedomater - mostly to shame myself into getting my butt out of my chair more.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    When I worked my desk job I used to go for a 45 minute walk on my lunch everyday which helped. I would also go talk directly to people in the office instead of emailing them/calling their desk. Offer to do the coffee run at breaks. Visit the water cooler/bathroom more frequently then normal.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Walk in place maybe while your on the phone? Thats what I would do..
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    can you stand at your desk and walk in place??? Just a thought.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Also park as far away as you can so you get in a little walk before you get the building..
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I go for walks around the parking lot at my 9am break and 2pm break... believe it or not, it really adds up.....
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    Can you do a circuit around your house while watching TV? Many nights I've picked up 1500 to 2000 steps walking around my house during the commercials before the clock strikes midnight.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I was getting up at 5am.to walk or jog in summer... But it's too cold now. I enjoyed the 10000 steps for a while but found it not practical in winter. Now doing shorter more intense hit workouts. I have a Ki Fit so still see my steps but go off my TDEE more. The fitbit made me a little crazy. Lol. X
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Does the 10/15 steps to the printer count? I think some days I go to the printer may be 20 times of more:smile:
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    My question is how do you count the steps?
  • Sushifish87
    Options
    I just got a Fitbit and it's first goal is 10k/day! I'm in a similar spot but I work from home!!!! My job does not have any breaks but of course we can go get a drink or go to the bathroom but at home... I don't have very far to go! I can't get up and walk while on the phone since I need to be working on the computer to review and answer their questions. Not an easy task!!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/11/01/morning-mile/

this was a challenge for November, that i plan to restart in January, and hopefully for the rest of my life.

the goal is to wake up a little extra early to walk every morning. don't hit snooze. don't check your phone or computer for emails and messages. don't pour yourself coffee.

get dressed and go out, and great the world.

the whole process from the time you wake up to the time you return should only take twenty minutes.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I sometimes go jogging during my lunch and will run 5-7k. I have two German Shepherds as well so I walk them for an hour after work. I also workout out in the evening since I don't always jog on my lunch.

At work I've set it up so that I'm having a snack every hour and I also drink a lot of water. This means I'm constantly walking to the kitchen or washroom, lol. Another thing I do is instead of bring all my mail downstairs at the end of the day, I'll bring it down as I receive it so it means multiple trips.
  • StefPayne
    StefPayne Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My form of daily exercise is walking outside or on a treadmill simply because I do have a desk job. 30 minutes on the treadmill gets me about 4700 steps add in the rest of the day's activities and I usually get 10,000 to 12,000 a day. Desk jobs are tough on getting steps in, so I just try to do as much as I can on my feet and be as active as I can after work.
  • KarenJ15
    KarenJ15 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Even when I move around a lot, I find it hard to break 5,000 in a day. Yesterday was an exception because I shoveled snow and took a long walk afterwards, so I exceeded 10,000. But usually that's not the case.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Stand up and work - little or no sitting.
    It's simple, and there are actual work stations that are geared toward standing.
    Good Luck:flowerforyou:
  • brighteyes31143
    Options
    bump