how do people do it?

Options

Replies

• chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Well...first of all...stop giving up! You are only giving up on yourself!

Be kind to yourself. It will take time.The weight did not get there in 4 weeks.

Stop putting a timeline on yourself. Weight loss does not work that way, no matter how much you want it to.

Don't look at the big picture. It can be too overwhelming. Set smaller goals, some that aren't even necessarily weight related. Stop drinking soda. Park farther away. Take the stairs. Drink one more cup of water today than yesterday.

Set a goal to lose 5 pounds. However long it takes. Do it. Then, once you do it once, you know you can, so do it again.

It's taken me over 3 years to get to where I am now, and I still am not where I want to be, but I know I will be one day, and it doesn't matter anymore how long it takes, because I won't be going back to where I came from anyway.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • chinoplata
    chinoplata Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have honestly been on my lifestyle for a couple years now and the first year my weight and body fat did not budge. After that weight just started dropping really fast. I have went from 230 lbs to 155 since. I realized that after working out for so long your metabolic rate raises dramatically and lbs just drop. The longer i dieted the more "loose" my diet was.
  • lucysmommy
    Options
    You have to be ready to do it as well. I have had so many false starts in the past. When I first started I used to get frustrated seeing my friends on here eating chocolate and crisps and still loosing, where I was completely off them.

I learned that I am about excess, and I will never be able to just have one biscuit. I knew I was ready when after 4 weeks I was snack free. If you are the same try to give the 'bad' foods a break from your diet. If you stick it for a month you know you're ready to see it through.

Good luck

thanks for this

i am not a sweet or chocolate eater - it takeaway and wine for me - time to cut it out - the thing with the wine and takeaway is that i want it and then after it i would have enjoyed something else much better!
  • elsalily
    elsalily Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The keys for me on losing weight was finding a long term goal to look forward to (like my wedding, etc.) and also as far as exercise was to find something that was fun and that I wanted to keep doing and that was Zumba...talk about fun and kept me interested and burns tons and tons of calories for a one hour workout. I would try that! :-) Good luck!

That sounds like a very reasonnable idea to me. You can also try more short term goals if it helps (ie 2 pounds off by the end of january...) But as said before, don't forget to enjoy life :)
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I am seriously bad at trying to lose weight - i have plenty motiviation for the first 4weeks and when i dont see the losses i want - i go off the tracks and then i am back at square one

i am 216lbs and 5ft 5in and need to lose about 70lbs - i was wondering how people have lost weight such as calorie amount, exercise regimes etc

i work 12 hrs shifts as a staff nurse in a very busy ward so i am on my feet for about 7hrs of my 12 hrs shifts - i would seriously know how much i burn but on my Days off i dont do much and this is something i need to change as well.

thanks

You need to be more down to earth with your expectations, what exactly are you hoping to see in just 4 weeks?

Make sure you eat at a sensible calorie deficit and incorporate some workouts into your week. The progress will come, you need patience and determination to stick with it.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    - the thing with the wine and takeaway is that i want it and then after it i would have enjoyed something else much better!

Regarding the takeaway: this often happens when we wait until we are really hungry, and then something fattening and fast seems the most appealing. Try to have a healthy snack prepared and ready so you don't get into that mode where you want something fattening RIGHT NOW bc you are so hungry. If you aren't super hungry, you will have more strength to make better decisions.

also, don't worry too much about not having time to exercise, most weight change comes from our food choices. yes activity good for us, but it won't make or break your weight loss success.
  • cindysho
    cindysho Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree!
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    For some people (me included) you have to give yourself mini goals... Sometimes if you look at it and say "I have to lose 70+ pounds" it becomes so overwhelming that you can't see how it's possible to attain. I made my goals in increments. This time I only had about 20 pounds to lose so I gave myself 5 pound goals and a non-food reward at the end of each success. I have two pounds to goal now and I'm getting myself all new lingerie when I hit it! A number of years ago I found myself 70 pounds overweight and lost it successfully by giving myself these smaller goals. Kept it off for 5 years before regaining 17 over a two year period. I went back to what worked the first time and it's working again. Portion control.. eat fewer calories than you're burning and you can't fail!
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said, focus on the journey and health, not the numbers on the scale. Take your measurements. A much better way to track how you're doing. Take pictures of yourself and compare as you move along. Lift weights on your days off. New Rules of Lifting for Women is an excellent 'starter' program for lifting for women. So good for you and makes you feel so strong and powerful. Track everything you eat. Drink a ton of water. Cut down on processed food. Don't expect everything to change overnight. Baby steps. Think about where you want to be next New Years... not where you want to be in February. Good luck!!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Everyone who starts to lose weight has motivation of some sort. You need more than that though, you need determination. You need to accept that it's going to be hard, it's going to be boring, and it's going to take a long time. It might take you a year, it might take even longer (It took me nearly a year to lose my last 55 lbs). When you reach your goal, it will still be hard. You'll still have to put in the work, but without any "results" at all, so you need to find a deeper determination to keep going.

One tip I have - it's not for everyone, but it works for me - is not to make massive changes overnight that you can't sustain long-term. After four weeks, when you're not seeing the results you want, you should be living a lifestyle that it's (relatively) easy to continue. If you are overly restrictive with your diet, then you're likely to want to throw in the towel as soon as your motivation falters. And it will, probably lots of times. Try to build healthier habits that you can continue, even if you're sick of dieting. Start by looking at your calorie intake. It sounds like you have quite an active job, so you should have a reasonable number of calories to play with. Eat what you like, and fit it into your calorie goal. Over time, if you feel you want to make changes to your diet, you can, but make them gradually, so that you're sure you can carry them on. Keep the wine and takeaway if you want to - just fit it into your diet. Or, you may well find that you no longer want them. Personally I still drink wine, but a little less and a little less often. I occasionally have takeaways, but don't find that I fancy it much any more. Once you start paying attention to your calories and macronutrients, you'll find that a lot of it falls into place.

Exercise is definitely recommended, but try to make sure you are doing things that you like, that you can easily make a habit. Exercising on top of a long shift on your feet is definitely do-able; there are lots of people here who manage it, but it can be a bit daunting at first. Don't set yourself up with a regime that will make you burn out within a few weeks. Find something that's fun, or something that you can make very clear goals in. That way, you'll stop looking at exercise as just a way to burn calories, but want to do it for its own sake.

I think the biggest thing for me has been logging. Seeing those numbers makes me make different choices, and pre-logging things I'm craving sometimes makes me change my mind. Not always, but enough to make a difference!
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I have not done the best lately, but I love the way exercise makes me feel. I get up an hour early to get my "me time" in. I work full time as a teacher and then do 36 hours (up from 20 hours,starting this week) of home care nights and weekends. It's hard, but if we want to be healthy, we have to keep at it. Our house started the past year with small changes, like not eating anything from a box. One step at a time, one day at a time! Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • conpapp
    conpapp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was like that for many years. I didn't give any routine I was using enough time to work. Things started working for me when I decided I was not going to change anything for 12 weeks. Hang in there and don't give up!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    10 pounds in 4 weeks is an awfully high expectation. Most people with a decent amount to lose would consider 8 pounds on the high end of what you can lose in 4 weeks. I'd rethink your expectations and not get discouraged because you assume you should lose X amount of weight in X amount of time. It doesn't always work that way, some people lose slower or faster than others.
  • Wol5894
    Wol5894 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    1. BE PATIENT! Trying to lose a lot in a short time is a BIG mistake and only leads to disillusionment.

2. Use MFP to set your calorie limit - you can choose to lose anything from 2lbs per week down to half a pound a week but each time, MFP will give you a limit based on the data you enter (and be honest about what you enter). I am sticking with 1lb per week off , as this works for me but look at it in the LONG term: 1lb per week sustained is 52 lbs off in a year (i.e. nearly 4 stone),so DON'T be impatient.

3. Don't go below 1200 calories, especially in the hope of losing faster - it doesn't work and this has to be a lifestyle change that you can LIVE with. Don't see it as a "diet" but as a change in eating habits. Once you have got to the weight that is right for you, then you can tell MFP that you want to maintain your weight and it will give you a new calorie limit.

4. You say you are a terror for the wine and takeaway; like another poster, you must not wait until you are so hungry and tired that you can't be bothered and hence get the takeaway as a quick fix. Use your days off to plan, plan, PLAN your meals for the next batch of shifts ahead, bearing in mind that breaks could be all over the place. If you are on an early and get home at night wanting a meal, then make sure there is one waiting for you, either by batch cooking and freezing in portions, or invest in a decent slow cooker, put all the ingredients for your meal in it, turn it on and it will be ready for you when you come home (there's some great deals in all the major supermarkets on slow cookers and similar things at the moment, so take advantage).

5. Yes, you CAN have A glass of wine - just make sure it IS ONLY a glass. I love wine too and although it is more expensive,
    I buy the miniature bottles of wine (they are 187 mls, which is a quarter of a standard bottle). I know fine well that I can't trust myself around a large and open bottle of wine, so I decided to cut the size of the bottle! Oh, and if you do have the wine, make sure you log it and take time to thoroughly enjoy it.

6. You are doing a lot of walking on your shifts - I know when I was nursing, I could walk as much as 10 miles in a day, what with going up and down a ward and walking to the staff canteen and back (it was a l-o-n-g way to our staff canteen!). As a result, for your days off, you likely don't want to do anything much. Given that you will be planning and cooking for at least one of your days off, what about devoting the other day to some sort of activity? Do you like to swim? Do you like to dance? Maybe Zumba is your thing (it isn't for me!) or perhaps you can find a game you like, such as tennis - the key is finding something you ENJOY because otherwise you won't sustain it. I always loved hill walking, despite the fact that I was walking at work - the change of scenery was wonderful.

See if there are people on here on MFP that can give you help and support - sometimes they are the ONLY ones who give you support when you are down, so choose friends carefully.

Keep smiling and DON'T, whatever you do, tell your work colleagues you are on a diet because I guarantee that they will unintentionally derail your efforts almost immediately by offering you treats, sweets etc, or making remarks like "you don't need to lose weight". OK, perhaps confide in one good work friend but make sure it is someone you can trust to support you in your efforts.

I hope some of the above helps you - losing 1lb a week sounds slow but I have now been going for 28 weeks and, on average, have actually lost nearer a pound and a quarter per week. Yes, I have had setbacks when I haven't lost weight and, of course, this past week I have put 3 lbs on but I am now dealing with that and looking forward to 2013 and all the loss that I can achieve then. I have LOTS to lose (like 140 lbs all told, if I decide to go that far), so try to think LONG TERM.

Trying to lose weight when you are a nurse is tough but you CAN do it!
  • seamatt
    seamatt Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    You have to be ready to do it as well. I have had so many false starts in the past. When I first started I used to get frustrated seeing my friends on here eating chocolate and crisps and still loosing, where I was completely off them.

I learned that I am about excess, and I will never be able to just have one biscuit. I knew I was ready when after 4 weeks I was snack free. If you are the same try to give the 'bad' foods a break from your diet. If you stick it for a month you know you're ready to see it through.

Good luck

thanks for this

i am not a sweet or chocolate eater - it takeaway and wine for me - time to cut it out - the thing with the wine and takeaway is that i want it and then after it i would have enjoyed something else much better!

Funny you should say that, after 3 months plus we decided to have one meal off, and we had been craving a kebab from our old takeaway.

Not long after we started we said we wish we had just had grilled chicken and rice like normal.
  • lucysmommy
    Options
    1. BE PATIENT! Trying to lose a lot in a short time is a BIG mistake and only leads to disillusionment.

2. Use MFP to set your calorie limit - you can choose to lose anything from 2lbs per week down to half a pound a week but each time, MFP will give you a limit based on the data you enter (and be honest about what you enter). I am sticking with 1lb per week off , as this works for me but look at it in the LONG term: 1lb per week sustained is 52 lbs off in a year (i.e. nearly 4 stone),so DON'T be impatient.

3. Don't go below 1200 calories, especially in the hope of losing faster - it doesn't work and this has to be a lifestyle change that you can LIVE with. Don't see it as a "diet" but as a change in eating habits. Once you have got to the weight that is right for you, then you can tell MFP that you want to maintain your weight and it will give you a new calorie limit.

4. You say you are a terror for the wine and takeaway; like another poster, you must not wait until you are so hungry and tired that you can't be bothered and hence get the takeaway as a quick fix. Use your days off to plan, plan, PLAN your meals for the next batch of shifts ahead, bearing in mind that breaks could be all over the place. If you are on an early and get home at night wanting a meal, then make sure there is one waiting for you, either by batch cooking and freezing in portions, or invest in a decent slow cooker, put all the ingredients for your meal in it, turn it on and it will be ready for you when you come home (there's some great deals in all the major supermarkets on slow cookers and similar things at the moment, so take advantage).

5. Yes, you CAN have A glass of wine - just make sure it IS ONLY a glass. I love wine too and although it is more expensive,
    I buy the miniature bottles of wine (they are 187 mls, which is a quarter of a standard bottle). I know fine well that I can't trust myself around a large and open bottle of wine, so I decided to cut the size of the bottle! Oh, and if you do have the wine, make sure you log it and take time to thoroughly enjoy it.

6. You are doing a lot of walking on your shifts - I know when I was nursing, I could walk as much as 10 miles in a day, what with going up and down a ward and walking to the staff canteen and back (it was a l-o-n-g way to our staff canteen!). As a result, for your days off, you likely don't want to do anything much. Given that you will be planning and cooking for at least one of your days off, what about devoting the other day to some sort of activity? Do you like to swim? Do you like to dance? Maybe Zumba is your thing (it isn't for me!) or perhaps you can find a game you like, such as tennis - the key is finding something you ENJOY because otherwise you won't sustain it. I always loved hill walking, despite the fact that I was walking at work - the change of scenery was wonderful.

See if there are people on here on MFP that can give you help and support - sometimes they are the ONLY ones who give you support when you are down, so choose friends carefully.

Keep smiling and DON'T, whatever you do, tell your work colleagues you are on a diet because I guarantee that they will unintentionally derail your efforts almost immediately by offering you treats, sweets etc, or making remarks like "you don't need to lose weight". OK, perhaps confide in one good work friend but make sure it is someone you can trust to support you in your efforts.

I hope some of the above helps you - losing 1lb a week sounds slow but I have now been going for 28 weeks and, on average, have actually lost nearer a pound and a quarter per week. Yes, I have had setbacks when I haven't lost weight and, of course, this past week I have put 3 lbs on but I am now dealing with that and looking forward to 2013 and all the loss that I can achieve then. I have LOTS to lose (like 140 lbs all told, if I decide to go that far), so try to think LONG TERM.

Trying to lose weight when you are a nurse is tough but you CAN do it!

wow what a fab response :-) so far in work i have been pretty good - only 3 toffees have passed my mouth over christmas, healthier breakfast and lunches, i actually think my days off might be the downfall :-( oh and a nicely toned partner (he is the devil takeaway person as well)

i love just dance for the WII and i assume that this is exercise cos you really do sweat lol
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I started out at 250 lbs at 5ft 3in, I was losing 2-4 lbs a week in my first month. That has slowed down, Now every 2 weeks I might get a 2 lb drop but it's been about a month now that I've not had a drop. My own fault though. You did not put it on over night, it will not fall off over night. You have to stop focusing on how long it will take you and focus on what you want the most and just strive for it every day. Tell your mind to shut up and keep going, once you can take control over your mind the rest will come with it.
  • Amatambi
    Options
    My mom is also a nurse, so I understand the 12 hour, on feet all day shifts. Have you thought about wearing a pedometer when you're at work to keep track of the steps you take? Something kind of fun I do, is write rewards on notecards, like a can of soda, or some cookies, and even rewards that aren't food-related, like getting my nails done. Then I write "step prices" on them, like 15, 000 steps for the manicure, and I keep track of my steps so when I get to 15,000 I "trade them in" for my manicure.
  • lucysmommy
    Options
    My mom is also a nurse, so I understand the 12 hour, on feet all day shifts. Have you thought about wearing a pedometer when you're at work to keep track of the steps you take? Something kind of fun I do, is write rewards on notecards, like a can of soda, or some cookies, and even rewards that aren't food-related, like getting my nails done. Then I write "step prices" on them, like 15, 000 steps for the manicure, and I keep track of my steps so when I get to 15,000 I "trade them in" for my manicure.

i want a fitbit - my partner was getting me one for xmas but decided himself that i didnt need one and bought me something else - mega disappointed - will get myself one at the end of the month x