How do they do it on Biggest Loser?

Options

Replies

• sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Among the many problems with the show is the over-emphasis on exercise as a weight loss tool. Exercise is for fitness and is an important part of health, but losing weight is mostly about eating at a calorie deficit. I see the effects of the exercise thinking all the time, especially here on the MFP boards among some of the users who can't understand why they aren't losing weight with the hundreds of hours of high intensity cardio they are doing.

Have you ever seen the show ?

They emphasize life style change...which includes exercise, healthy eating and portion control. They show some exercising, but they never touch on it like they do healthy eating and lifestyle change. They often get to the root cause of why those people got so big.

It's a shame you don't see that.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Editing. For sure. And I recall seeing injuries in that show.

They probably have them workout before the main shooting to ensure they can do the bare minimum. They might tell the contestants in the months prior to start walking or biking. Then even if they lost weight before the show starts, they'll still use the weight they wrote down when they first signed up so the first weigh-in sounds like lots of weight lost.

That's just my theory, no proof to back it up though. I just know that when you try out for the army, to become a cop or an ironworker, you have to pass a physical test to even START training with the facility/group. They must do the same thing. You can't guarantee your producers a good show when you don't know if your contestants can even walk 10mins or do a sit-up.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    They are on an isolated ranch for the duration of the show. The only thing they really can do is exercise. Plus, there is a lot of editing. A LOT of editing.
  • missgaby7
    Options
    I know for sure i would not be able to handle a BL type workout. Remember though that 250 k should be a HUGE motivation! plus they are not distracted by work, school, etc.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Just quick note:

There have been more than 200 contestants on the show. About 20 have kept the significant weight off. This is about the average for ANY dieting and exercise program out there on the market.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sm1zzle
    Options
    "The Biggest Loser" is actually a show on how NOT to properly lose weight. It is a "reality" show which means it is based in drama and ratings, not in reality....

Bob and Jillian say ALL THE TIME that people at home can't lose that amount of weight in that amount of time. People who watch the show know this. What they DO show is that losing weight is possible if you are willing to sacrifice and change your lifestyle.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I wonder how they can PHYSICALLY do it the next day. I mean I did the BL workout video with bob harper.. I did the whole thing including the warmup cool down.. I was CRYING the next day. I literally couldn't sit down or climb stairs or do anything that involved moving my quads. This lasted for a FULL WEEK! I'm not a baby, I have a pretty high threshold for pain but clearly this is beyond simple soreness that you feel after a good workout. All I could think is How do the contestants do it? I mean if my house was on fire and I had to go down the stairs to get out, I don't think I could have done it THAT'S how sore I was. Muscle soreness comes with the territory when you're hypothyroid, but this was a WHOLE NEW LEVEL of pain.
  • HeyHeyLynn
    HeyHeyLynn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I watched several early seasons of Biggest Loser, and I noticed several things: At first I was inspired and awed by the contestants' dedication. Then I felt bad because there was no way I could lose 6 or 10 or 15 pounds in a week (c'mon). And finally, I wanted to eat and eat while watching (lol). I stopped watching.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I found this interview with one of the former contestants interesting:
    http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/

I was about to post this as well. Explains a lot.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    "The Biggest Loser" is actually a show on how NOT to properly lose weight. It is a "reality" show which means it is based in drama and ratings, not in reality....

Bob and Jillian say ALL THE TIME that people at home can't lose that amount of weight in that amount of time. People who watch the show know this. What they DO show is that losing weight is possible if you are willing to sacrifice and change your lifestyle.
    Does it motivate people or discourage people?

I think those that are willing to put in the hard work are going to do what it takes regardless of their choice in television viewing. For those that are on the fence - trying to decide if they should exercise, the show could discourage them because it makes exercising seem far too intense. Exercise doesn't have to be intense to be beneficial. An obese person can benefit from a simple walk everyday.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/02/biggest-loser-viewers-turn-off-exercise_n_2059208.html
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've never seen the show, but I'd imagine they do some training before the televised bit begins, same for any reality TV I guess. I'm sure for X Factor for example, one they've chosen the final 12, they have a few weeks before the live shows begin.

I guess the contestants are motivated and also they're on TV so they'd want to try harder. Plus do they win something at the end?

I'd love to have an intense workout every day!
  • sm1zzle
    Options
    If a gunman held a gun to your head and said "if you don't complete this workout today, you're dead"...........................you'd find a way to complete it. That's their mentality. Unfortunately, most people don't feel this way about their life which is why they got very overweight or obese in the first place.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Exactly
  • sm1zzle
    Options

Does it motivate people or discourage people?

I think those that are willing to put in the hard work are going to do what it takes regardless of their choice in television viewing. For those that are on the fence - trying to decide if they should exercise, the show could discourage them because it makes exercising seem far too intense. Exercise doesn't have to be intense to be beneficial. An obese person can benefit from a simple walk everyday.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/02/biggest-loser-viewers-turn-off-exercise_n_2059208.html

I guess it depends on the person and what part of the show touches them. If I were someone that big, and they showed me the amount of fat that was deposited around my heart and other organs, which they do show, that would scare me bad and motivate me to do whatever I had to so that I would not die prematurely. There's way more to that show than the exercising. That's just a small part. They show the mistakes that people make everyday, educate them on healthy eating/living and show you what can happen if you do not change.
  • sm1zzle
    Options
    I've never seen the show, but I'd imagine they do some training before the televised bit begins, same for any reality TV I guess. I'm sure for X Factor for example, one they've chosen the final 12, they have a few weeks before the live shows begin.

I guess the contestants are motivated and also they're on TV so they'd want to try harder. Plus do they win something at the end?

I'd love to have an intense workout every day!

They do. Once they learn they're on the show they have to start a program until they get to the show.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Just quick note:
    There have been more than 200 contestants on the show. About 20 have kept the significant weight off. This is about the average for ANY dieting and exercise program out there on the market.
    10% success rate....ouch....I never knew that.....:huh:
    The same principle applies with finances.
    Whatever...I want to be counted among that committed 10%.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Just quick note:
    10% success rate....ouch....I never knew that.....:huh:
    The same principle applies with finances.
    Whatever...I want to be counted among that committed 10%.

I have read that somewhere before as well. The after show success rate is pretty low. Isolating them in the ranch helps them during the show, but in the long run, it does them no good.
  • mjYanaGirl
    Options
    There is a lot of creative editing I'm sure :P

This. ^
  • hannahcall2
    hannahcall2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    They get 250 grand if they win.
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Among the many problems with the show is the over-emphasis on exercise as a weight loss tool. Exercise is for fitness and is an important part of health, but losing weight is mostly about eating at a calorie deficit. I see the effects of the exercise thinking all the time, especially here on the MFP boards among some of the users who can't understand why they aren't losing weight with the hundreds of hours of high intensity cardio they are doing.
    so true!! I run 4 times a week and regularly do half marathons yet I have at least 30lb to lose. my own fault since I eat so flipping much! and another reason I like MFP as I can track how much I SHOULD be able to eat after a 6 mile run...never an entire pizza, for some reason...!!
  • MizManda180
    MizManda180 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Biggest Loser pushes the contestants to lose weight in an unhealthy way. They eat under 1,000 calories a day. They work out with injuries. They are treated badly by the staff, not the trainers, but the TV crew. I read an interesting interview with one of the contestants. She also said that their weigh in weeks are anywhere between 5 and 14 days.