Exercise and Natural Hair!

Options
BeautifulVirgo
BeautifulVirgo Posts: 72 Member
I'm a natural and every time i go to the gym my hair is a mess i have to wash it every night which is a 2 hour process. so any of you guys have tips on what i should do about any styles or protective style like braids tell me what you do? thanks

Replies

• jo69
    jo69 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Here's some blogs you can check out www.curlynikki.com/2011/02/exercise-routine-and-natural-hair.html

www.afrobella.com/2011/11/07/black-women-hair-and-exercise-tips-from-the-pros/

Interesting articles....hope this helps..
  • Breathe_Glamour
    Options
    Hmmm, I have not tried it, but since I had my big chop today (YAY ME!!!!) I'm strongly considering the hair wrap thing that actress Nicole Ari Parker "created" - here's the website: http://saveyourdo.com/. They're $24.95 and $29.95 depending on which width you purchase.
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I put my hair in braids or twist normally...currently just do two braids and bun/clip them
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I just wear a headband. However I wash, blow dry and flat iron my hair daily/every other day. Inbetween I use a dry shampoo spray like Oscar Blandi Pronto.
  • jo69
    jo69 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the big chop!!:flowerforyou: Thanks for info, will defnitley be looking that up.
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I just put mine in a ponytail........
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    My hair is long, curly, and frizzes at the mere thought of moisture, so I put it in a loose braid. It works very well. If it were short I'd have to wash it and put defrizz stuff in it every day, there would be no way around it.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I corn roll my hair every night before I go to bed. I also wash my hair twice a week with and go heavy with the conditioner. Also brushing your natural hair will help with the cleanses in between washing.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I have locs, so just put them up in a ponytail out of the way.

On days that I don't shampoo after a workout, I give it a prolonged rinse.
  • Rebirth08
    Rebirth08 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I wear dreadlocks. But I could stand to wash my hair every other day when exercising. But to answer your question, it may be good to put it in large plaits,and put a sweatband around your head. With the parts in your hair (for the plaits), that will help any sweat to not accumulate in your hair b/c of the air available :-) That may help some to wear you can go between workouts to wash instead of every other day.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I only do weight training at the gym, currently.
    So I sweat less than when I did cardio also.
    I only wash my hair on Wed and Saturday. I also "do " my hair on those days. I touch it up on other days.
    I can do some cardio right before I wash it.
    This has saved me sooooo much time, and i am happy with how my hair looks each day.

Key for me is to use good shampoo and especially conditioner. Curly hair (mine's wavy) is "thirsty" it seem for moisture.
    I use a non-sulfate shampoo and conditioner, then use another conditioner on the ends called Carol's Daughter Monoi. It's coconut oil and other oils, and, even though it has been 8 months since my last cut, I have virtually no split ends.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    Curly hair (mine's wavy) is "thirsty" it seem for moisture.

This is true. One reason I don't keep mine short is, standard shampoos and conditioners take out the natural oils that protect hair, as does just washing with just tap water. My hair is much happier not being washed every day. However, it still gets little frizzies in it even with the weight of the length. Especially during Summer. Ugh!
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Hello there! Fellow natural here too :) I rarely go to the gym or exercise, but when I do, my hair frizzes and tangles. I co-wash every day, but if it's too time consuming for you, I suggest braids pulled into a pony or a fairly tight bun. Also, you could wrap your hair. But like the other ladies suggested, go on CurlyNikki.com or another natural website and there's likely to be some good suggestions on there :)
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options

This is true. One reason I don't keep mine short is, standard shampoos and conditioners take out the natural oils that protect hair, as does just washing with just tap water. My hair is much happier not being washed every day. However, it still gets little frizzies in it even with the weight of the length. Especially during Summer. Ugh!

Co-wash your hair! I co-wash daily and don't use extra moisture, and my hair isn't dry :)
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I also have dreadlocks! But many moons ago before I was locked though I would do big twists. You can wash your hair even if it's in big twists. Cuts down drastically on the amount of time you have to spend doing your hair after washing it.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

Co-wash your hair! I co-wash daily and don't use extra moisture, and my hair isn't dry :)

Thanks, been thinking about doing this, but I'll need to invest in a conditioner that I didn't buy at dollar general!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    My hair is long, curly, and frizzes at the mere thought of moisture, so I put it in a loose braid. It works very well. If it were short I'd have to wash it and put defrizz stuff in it every day, there would be no way around it.
    The conditioner Carol's Daughter Monoi can be put on your hair after you towel dry...just put it toward the ends and actually leave it in your hair. The oils actually penetrate the hair and do not leave your hair oily at all, just perfect. It's amazing! And it smells incredible.
    This same conditioner you can use on your skin as well, just like lotion....sometimes I mix it into my favorite lotion.