Neck Measurements Question

Options
How big should a woman's neck be? I've lost a half inch off my neck since June, started at 13.5 inches and now it's 13 inches. I'm curious because I've had massive inch losses everywhere else, so I guess I was expecting a bit more than half an inch off my neck. Is 13 inches a decent non-fat size of neck? When I pull on my neck it doesn't seem 'fat' but I don't know.

I'm 5 feet 6 inches, 40 years old, and currently weigh 167 pounds. Started at 238 pounds. My goal weight is 130. When I first measured my neck at 214 pounds it was 13.5 inches. Seems like when I get to 130 pounds it would a lot less, right?

Replies

• luvsyoga
    luvsyoga Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Good question, I'd like to know the answer as well. I've lost many inches but none on my neck.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Very intersting question. I just recently measured myself and if I did it correctly my neck is 15 inches and I am about 5 foot 11 inches and at 226 lbs.
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Good question! Mine has gone down 1/2 inch from 13 to 12.5 in a year with a weight loss of 54lb, and I'm 5'7 1/2" (aged 43) - I'm happy with that, but I have no idea of what a 'normal' sized neck would be, lol
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Since there is no way to spot reduce, its an academic question.

How does it look?

By the way, congrats on the weight loss, good luck.
  • Moiraza
    Moiraza Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that my neck has got increasingly fatter because short necklaces are tighter. Now I'm looking forward to my neck getting increasingly thinner. :)
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    we have the same neck measurements ! and we've gone down in measurements the same :bigsmile:
    no idea to the answer for your question though
  • suckerlove
    Options
    I am 5'3 and started my journey at 285lbs and my neck was 17 in when I started, I am down nearly 75 lbs and my last neck measurement was 15.25.
  • lemontress
    Options
    My neck is 13" as well.
    I'm 5'5" and 138lbs. I'm not really looking to lose too much more weight, just tone everything. I don't think 13" would be considered a "fat neck".
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same as I done my month end measurements. I was surprised because my neck dropped 3/4 inch from last month alone. But I am sure that is not fat loss as I began supplement kelp to help my thyroid which was a bit swollen despite being on synthroid. The kelp must surely be working to give me that drop in a month. It hasn't felt swollen for a while now. :-)

My neck started at about 17" when I was 335 lbs.
    Last month end I was at 295lbs it was 15.25"
    Now at 285.2 lbs it was 14.5"

I do still have fat on my upper neck as my I still have more chins than I want. :-(

I am 5"6" tall.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7", weigh 123 pounds, and have a 13" neck that probably couldn't go any smaller without looking bad.
  • zosia141
    zosia141 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Neck measurements are one of the measurements used to estimate body far. I was wondering e
    where you measre. is it up below the chin? down by the clvicles? in the middle around the adam's apple?
  • metalloz
    metalloz Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" at 118 pounds and it measures at 11.75"
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Mine is 12.5 - no loss in this area at all
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Mine is 12 inches, I'm 5'5" and 112lbs
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Neck measurements are one of the measurements used to estimate body far. I was wondering e
    where you measre. is it up below the chin? down by the clvicles? in the middle around the adam's apple?

In the middle
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies...it sounds like my neck loss is normal. :smile:
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Well, a short necklace is usually16" and a long one is 18". So 13"sounds perfectly normal. I have another 25ish lbs to lose and my neck is 14".
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Mine is 12.5 - no loss in this area at all

Haha. How random posted yesterday no loss. Measured this morning and neck is now 12
  • Galaxygirl23
    Options
    My neck is 13 inches and I am 134 and 5'4''. I am losing weight now and getting into shape but I do not expect my neck size to get much smaller. I have a lot of fat around other parts of my body( IE : stomach etc..) but not on my neck. I have had a man once tell me that I have a strong looking neck ( whatever that means ? )...LOL...I have even had guys make comments on how my arms are bigger than theirs etc which made me feel less feminine and kind of hurt... But after some thought.. I think that they are just wimps who need to go to the gym and get some muscle themselves..this way they wouldn't think a woman's arms were bigger than theirs !..LOL... I guess our necks usually don't have as much fat on them as the rest of our bodies do and are mostly bone structure that give size. I am sure on can lose fat there if there is fat there and the size would decrease a lot more...but for those who don't have much fat there the decrease in size would be very little with weight loss.
  • wahelga
    wahelga Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    No real idea what is normal but remember being told that if your hands don't comfortably meet around your neck then you are at higher risk of sleep apnea