Are sneakers washable?

Options
toots99
toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
Mine are a mess! I want to put them in the washing machine but don't want to ruin them. Any tips for me?

Replies

• ♥seoid♥
    ♥seoid♥ Posts: 476
    Options
    what kind are they? leather? if so i would get a scrub brush and detergent and wash them that way.
  • youngs
    youngs Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I wash my sneakers all the time but I try to set them out in the sun or around so heat to dry...but sometimes I do put in the dryer.. I dont do anything special...just add my water, laundry soap, and if white shoes add just a little bit of bleach..(not to much)..wash in warm water...I do not was anything else with them just my sneakers...and be sure to tie your shoe strings tight..so they dont get tangled up ...Thats it..Good Luck..
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    When you're drying them, stuff them with some wadded up newspaper or something like that so they kind of keep their shape.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Mine sneakers were washed all the time in the washing machine when I was a kid.

I haven't done it yet as an adult, but I might be willing to try it soon with an older pair (worn out runners, they are now my yard work shoes).

Are the insides of your shoes dirty? If not, can you not take a bucket and a scrub brush to them, then leave them in the sunlight to dry?
  • IKnowICan
    IKnowICan Posts: 86
    Options
    My kids are older now & they buy these expensive sneaker/shoes.

:heart: WHITE LEATHER SHOES:

I've washed the white leather in Cold Water (so not to shrink them). the rubber soles sides may not come clean in the washer. We then have to scrub with a tooth brush the rubber bottom side part only with soft scrub bleach. brushing down keeps the bleach from spraying on your own shirt while your working so you don't wreck the shirt your wearing.

Drying outside in the hot sun (open them up a bit to get to the toe area) or on the heater with a towel over them to keep the heat in the shoes. Take out the rubber insert to speed the dryer (if it doesn't already come out on it's own in the washer).

* Don't take too long to dry them as they could get mildewed.

I would NEVER put them in the dryer...they could melt or damage/scrape the leather off.

:heart: SUEDE/FABRIC SHOES:

My son likes to go muddin in his Truck/Jeep & so we just brush them with a brush to get the mud off the suede then clean the rubber sides soles again with soft scrub being careful not to get on the suede area.

They do sell shoe cleaner/brush at the mall if you are afraid to use the washing machine.

Good Luck....They are Never them same after you wash them but it's still better than being dirty:drinker:
  • queensara2478
    Options
    I do wash my sneakers in the washing machine but do NOT dry them in the dryer, they lose thier shape. Instead wad up newspaper stick it inside the shoe and leave it to air dry either in the house or outside in the sun.
  • SunShineBeastess
    SunShineBeastess Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    What type of food diet are you following?
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    I would recommend using those Mr. Clean magic erasers if they are white and it is just the outsides of them that are dirty. It works wonders on mine. Sometimes, I really do believe they are magic.

Good luck.
  • toots99
    Options
    What type of food diet are you following?

Who are you referring to?

Thanks for the tips...much appreciated!
  • NotSurprised
    NotSurprised Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Theoretically no I mean Yes.:wink: Ugh I suggest bringing them to get professionally cleaned, however it is they do that, it should be atleast theoretically well better be, than just throwing them in a washing machine unless they are a pair you can live without.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I would recommend using those Mr. Clean magic erasers if they are white and it is just the outsides of them that are dirty. It works wonders on mine. Sometimes, I really do believe they are magic.

Good luck.

THIS

they are the best cleaning product of all time, hands down, PERIOD!!!!!

but they can't do anything for the inside if the shoes are stinky LOL
  • toots99
    Options

Good luck.

THIS

they are the best cleaning product of all time, hands down, PERIOD!!!!!

but they can't do anything for the inside if the shoes are stinky LOL

That's exactly what I'm going to try. I don't really want to put them in the washer, I don't want them to lose their shape.

Thanks!