I don't usually care, but...

Options
iorahkwano
iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
Today I'd like to say how it amuses me that...

1) People (Men & women) think that most women have a choice in whether our body is "skinny or curvy." As if telling a skinny girl to eat more will make her grow boobs, widen her hipbones & magically turn her into Kim Kardashian. Or telling a big-boned or thick gal to workout will magically shrink her in the right places to look like a Victoria's Secret model. If it were that easy, wouldn't everyone do it? Most of us would put fat on our belly, arms, thighs and other unwanted places if we just "ate more." We'd look like apples or oversized pears. Many women who work out to "get skinny" will slim down (or put on muscle) but they can't shrink their ribcages or hipbones to get that skinny look. Body types are only capable of so much.

2) When people celebrate "curvy" or "plus-size," they always choose pictures of the small percentage of women who manage to only store fat in 2 places and none whatsoever on their belly. D+ boobs with a flat stomach & a round perky behind... Really? Bigger or curvy gals are only good if their stomachs are flat? Or if they look like hour glasses? Most plus-size and curvy women do not have a perfect stomach like that. What about the apple, pear or ruler body types? Again, people are glorifying a body type that is rare and relies mainly on genetics.

3) Most celebrities/actresses have breast implants because a super toned body with a curvy chest and butt is just not attainable for most women. (Just Barbie & a few lucky ones). Even the women who do have that body get slammed as soon as they wander that invisible line between "hourglass" and "Apple/Pear." (i.e. Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Tyra Banks).

Why separate bodies into 2 categories? Or try to label one as good and one as bad? No one does that to men... Expect all of them to attain a certain specific body fat percentage & muscle build. Tell them where their biggest muscles should be, where they should be husky and slimmer. I think we should just realize that there are MANY body types and they all have their perks. If there's some you're not a fan if, oh well. Don't force a body type on an entire population of women with vast differences in genetics! You're really just telling them to have an eating disorder, get lipo or get implants :/

Replies

• zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Cliffs: Men are evil.
  • iorahkwano
    Options
    No, women do this too. Women support these ideas just as much as men.
  • iorahkwano
    Options
    On Facebook, girls always post photos celebrating "curvy" or "big gals" but it's never a picture of someone who defies the perfect hourglass thing that I described.
  • MattTheWaterRat
    MattTheWaterRat Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It's not like any woman will let us measure vaj length or circumference.
  • iorahkwano
    Options
    The point is not to say we should do it to each other or that it never happens to men, but in general we shouldn't be trying to tell everyone to look a certain way when a lot of it is out of genetic reach.
  • stephaniern21
    Options
    Amen to that girl.. and to all the different body types out there! I hate the stereotypes too- makes a girl go crazy trying to fit into a certain category instead of her own individual body type.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Curvy is a term that is way over used and I also hate the saying that "real women have curves" the saying is true but I feel like a lot of women just use it to justify being overweight.

Too many women try to fit themselves into the curvy category. Just because a ball has curves doesn't mean a woman should consider themself curvy. Round is not a shape a person should be.

Guys do a ton of the same **** too. Not just trying to jump on the women . Just easier examples I guess.
  • iorahkwano
    Options
    Amen to that girl.. and to all the different body types out there! I hate the stereotypes too- makes a girl go crazy trying to fit into a certain category instead of her own individual body type.

Exactly! It's as if we replaced the "be a skinny malnourished model!" slogan to "be a curvy genetic-hour glass!"

If there was a workout to get bigger boobs or a smaller ribcage, I'd do it but there is none!

It's not enough to be healthy, but now we have to be curvy as well. I saw a diagram before of different muscle builds for men... It'd be equivalent to everyone telling men that being healthy isn't enough. "We only like *insert muscle build* and the others are no good. We shouldn't do that to anyone.

Ectomorph-body-type-e1337456834204.png
  • iorahkwano
    Options
    Curvy is a term that is way over used and I also hate the saying that "real women have curves" the saying is true but I feel like a lot of women just use it to justify being overweight.

I agree with this too! Or that it is grounds to bash slim women. Thick women don't like being called fat, so why do the same thing and call a slim girl "bones"? Everyone needs to get over their insecurities and stop exerting it on others.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Even more ironic, a lot of the curvy girl posts on FB mention Marilyn Monroe. I have to wonder if anyone has ever googled her actual size and measurements?

She was 5'5" and a size 2 most of her career, but she's the very image that girls rely on when they say some taller person with similar dimensions is too skinny. In MM's case, it was the fact that she had a freakishly tiny waist that made her hips and chest look bigger, but she was tiny. Oh, and photoshop didn't exist the same way back then.
  • iorahkwano
    Options
    Exactly! People try to say she was a size 12, but a size 12 in her day was A LOT smaller than ours. She probably was what today 's size 2 or 4 is. I find a lot of girls use her to justify being overweight or not working out, but sources close to Marilyn say she worked out every day. And you can see it in her arms and legs, she had muscle definition in her thighs and calves! Dancing was probably quite a workout too.
  • vice350z
    vice350z Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I always thought "curvy" meant slim but with very hour glass shape, large breasts and ample butt...making them curvy. Then I tried out Match.com a while back and realized "curvy" meant something totally different according to the women on there.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Exactly! People try to say she was a size 12, but a size 12 in her day was A LOT smaller than ours. She probably was what today 's size 2 or 4 is. I find a lot of girls use her to justify being overweight or not working out, but sources close to Marilyn say she worked out every day. And you can see it in her arms and legs, she had muscle definition in her thighs and calves! Dancing was probably quite a workout too.

The Seven Year Itch dress, the famous white one, was a zero. Her largest size was 8, which is the one photo that's posted, and she wasn't that size for more than a year in her life. I'm thin now, and I'd never try to get to her dimensions because I don't think it is possible.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Maybe the most beautiful bodies are those that are natural and that have been embraced and accepted as they are by the people inhabiting them. I think so many, including myself, spend their entire lives trying to fight against nature, trying to change themselves into something they are not, and losing out on a lot of the joy in life, in doing so.
  • iorahkwano
    Options
    Maybe the most beautiful bodies are those that are natural and that have been embraced and accepted as they are by the people inhabiting them. I think so many, including myself, spend their entire lives trying to fight against nature, trying to change themselves into something they are not, and losing out on a lot of the joy in life, in doing so.

Great point! I remember when I was 13-17 years old, I disliked that I had small boobs. AA to A-cup. Shirts didn't fit me right, and I was one of the few girls that were "flat." Of all people, it was girls who had a problem with my body. I used to pray for a growth spurt or tell myself I was a late bloomer. The boobs never really came in. I started hiding behind push-up bras when I was 18-20 years old but soon realized small boobs were not so terrible. I started hearing the laments of big-breasted women (Sagging, back pain, huge nipples, sports bra troubles) and heard convos/read some polls where men said they were not so picky on size or that some even preferred small.

I'm a b-cup now, and still find I am small... but I feel better accepting it and focusing on the positive instead of trying to look like something I'm not. I don't wear push-up bras much anymore (Not that they ever succeed in giving me cleavage anyway! lol).

I can only hope other people learn to drop the obsession with what is "perfect" or "should be." Or stop enforcing it.
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Even more ironic, a lot of the curvy girl posts on FB mention Marilyn Monroe. I have to wonder if anyone has ever googled her actual size and measurements?

She was 5'5" and a size 2 most of her career, but she's the very image that girls rely on when they say some taller person with similar dimensions is too skinny. In MM's case, it was the fact that she had a freakishly tiny waist that made her hips and chest look bigger, but she was tiny. Oh, and photoshop didn't exist the same way back then.

Right? She was tiny. People forget a current size 12 and size 12 of her time are completely different.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Is there a tl;dr version?
  • iorahkwano
    Options
    What is tl;dr?
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    What is tl;dr?

Too long, didn't read.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    It's not like any woman will let us measure vaj length or circumference.

:noway: