Shin Splints: rest or push through it?

Options

Replies

• Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend special shoes. You'd rather build up the pace and distance slower until form, muscle and joints are all ready for the same "goal". Or you'll just be moving your problem around by buying something you're training your body for.

Bad advice. Orthotics have save many runners who have structural anomalies. At this point I am not suggesting orthotics, I am suggesting adequate and professionally fitted running shoes. What shoe works for one will not necessarily work for another. (I have 3 pair of the same shoe and alternate them)

Often shin splints are the result of foot/shoe problems. Flat feet, inadequate arch support, over pronation. OP if you take anything away from this thread it is; "never try to run through shin splints." Shin splints require good ole fashion "butt time"

Shin splints can also be caused by different factors, such as the "Terrible Toos"...running too hard, running too fast, running too long, running on too hard of a surface.

This site may help some - http://www.medicinenet.com/shin_splints/article.htm
  • Christina32_
    Options
    get new shoes! i bought new saucony's and they are great!
  • wrkout2bfit
    wrkout2bfit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Agree with getting proper shoes for your gait. I was wearing the wrong kind of shoes for years. Go to a running store, they will watch the way your foot strikes. The right shoe is so important. Good Luck!
  • Michellelmt
    Michellelmt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm a Massage Therapist. I suggest you ice, rest, stretch...& maybe look into getting a new pair of shoes. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Michellelmt
    Michellelmt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    ps...getting a massage will help tremendously!!
  • BldHny2002
    BldHny2002 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I run everyday doing c25k and I started getting shin splints in my left leg. I ran through the pain until My run was severely affected - almost collapsing midstride due to the overwhelming feeling as though my shin bone had fractured. It hadn't, but I immediately purchased a pair of proper running shoes. I rested at work for a few hours then attempted another run-- and noticed an immediate difference. The pain had reduced by half. The next day, I couldn't feel the pain unlessi consciously looked for it. Two weeks later and I have forgotten I even had shin splints.

Get good running shoes. I went to the Running Room and they evaluated my gait and stride and I'm in a pair of Asics.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Rest and stretch.

Running through it won't help you heal. It could even set you up for worse injury.

See a sports masseuse, if you can. Best thing I've ever done for my legs.

^^^What she said! And when they get better, look up some stretches to help shin splints and do them on a regular basis to help manage flare ups..
  • jakesplace1
    Options
    Take a cube of ice and wrap in in a soft towell, wet the end with the cube and softly run in over your shin where you feel the pain. this should help with the discomfort. rest and elevate. get properly fitted for running shoes if your running.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Rest. Would you rather run in pain or run pain free?

I was getting shin splints while running on pavement. Talked to my running buddy who has been running marathons for at least 10 years. He told me it was my shoes. He told me to go to a store that specializes in running shoes. He also told me they could be rather expensive.

Unfortunately, I can't afford these "expensive shoes" right now. Perhaps maybe when tax season comes, I'll be able to go in and get it checked out. So for right now, I run on the treadmill which helped me tons. No shin splints at all! I try to get a pavement run in when I can because ultimately, I would like to run a 5k on pavement.
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I got them when I first started on the treadmill the trainer in the gym told me to take a rolling pin and roll right over them..I thought he was insane he said I promise you it will help..so what they heck I tried it and he was right! Also I got a new pair of sneakers as he said mine looked like the tread was worn..almost like on a car tire! But the rolling pin was amazing..
  • hillarychristina
    Options
    rest!! i tried to push through my shin splint a couple weeks ago and i'm still paying for it now
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Rest and work your upper body.

When you get your shoes, make sure the guy looks at your stride to evaluate you. Expect to spend around $100 USD,
  • hannahcall2
    hannahcall2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    So, I have been convinced to rest. Though I'm still a little hesitant about the rolling pin idea. :noway:
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Not sure if a foam roller would work for shin splints, but sounds less painful than a rolling pin =)
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Rest and maybe even try a new pair of shoes.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    When I started jogging I also had shin splints and the only thing that helped was rest and a better pair of shoes.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Good advice in general in this thread. RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) are the best treatment for shin splints. A couple of additions:

Rest! And ice! Don't hurt yourself... Trust me on this, you don't want to put yourself out because of an injury (not that I know from experience :blushing:
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I've had these in the past. What helped me was rest and TONS of icing. You don't have to completely stop running, but I would definitely scale back for a while. For the inflammation I took ibuprofen and wrapping your legs with Ace bandages or using compression socks throughout the day helps as well.

Please take them seriously because ignoring them can cause stress fractures in the tibia.... from what I've read.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    As for the rolling pin, I think it would help. The foam roller may work too, if you can figure out how to roll the muscle. Freeze ice in a water bottle and roll those on the muscle.
  • sunshine421969
    sunshine421969 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Stretching helps..before and after a run..