Worried :(

Options
I am currently looking at loosing about 70-80lb which would take me to 120lb and in 5"6. I will be 21 in a couple of weeks

I am very very worried about loose skin, as I think that will be just as damaging on my confidence as being fat currently is.

I've been told because I'm young and only had extra weight on me for 4ish years it shouldn't be a problem but I'm not sure :(

Am I at high risk of this happening (I am not planning on loosing weight too quick going to try and keep it no more than 2lb although at the start due to water weight etc it could be 3-4lb)

Replies

• AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    When I was about 20, I lost 80 pounds. I had no lose skin, and my stretch marks faded significantly. When I got pregnant at 32, I gained back all this weight and then some, and once I lost it, I had some lose skin...I got pregnant again 2 years later, and after losing most of the weight, I am feeling a little bit like a shar pei (not sure of the spelling, but you know the wrinkly dogs from China?)...I am almost 40...I have lost a lot of collegen, and I don't have the time I had when I was younger to take care of myself.

I will suggest that you check out t-tapp.com. Teresa Tapp sells a line of skin tightening products that may be helpful (I used them alot prechildren), and I still brush my skin. I'm not sure if the brushing is tightening my skin, but it sure as heck feels good!

Good luck...I think you'll be fine as long as you lose slowly and don't fluctuate alot.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    What is the alternative? Staying heavy? Even if you end up with some lose skin, being fit and healthy will be better than heavy with tight skin.
  • flabbytofabby
    Options
    No. It is just a huge worry of mine and always looking for ways to reduce it is all.
  • flabbytofabby
    Options
    Ah ok that's good to hear I hope I'm the same. Thankyou :)
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    This is one of those things that you probably shouldn't worry about until you get there.
  • aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm 21, 22 in Feb and have lost 60 lbs so far. I've only been over weight as well for about 4 years. I think it depends on where you wear your weight. I wore it in my hips and thighs, some in my stomach and in my arms. So far I have not noticed any sagging or loose skin. i still have roughly 10-25 lbs left, and I don't think I will have any problems with skin. I do some weight lifting and plan to up it up when I get closer to my goal.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Lose weight slowly (1-2lbs a week). Lift weights. Get sufficient protein (1gram for every pound of your goal weight would work). Eat fruits, veggies, get enough fat (fat is good for skin), take vitamins, and fish oil. I think that's all you can do. I don't think any of those lotions are worth the money.
  • aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    What is the alternative? Staying heavy? Even if you end up with some lose skin, being fit and healthy will be better than heavy with tight skin.
    ^^this! I was so going to say that
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    strength train, you're young, you'll be fine. Also if you lose the weight slowly you won't have as much loose skin because you'll give it time to tighten up ;)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You should not have a problem as you are young - the skin may take a little time to 'bounce back'. You seem to have a sensible expectation of your losses which is good and should help. After you lose a decent amount, I would drop that expectation down to 1lb a week.

ETA: I also agree with the recommendations to strength train.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    And really, with your eyes, noone will notice a little lose skin. :wink:
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I'm 37 and lost 90 lbs, going from 215 to 125.

I have no loose skin, either than some minor stretch marks.

There is hope!
  • cristaine
    Options
    Your skin is young, it will bounce back nicely given TIME and if you lose weight slowly, plus exercise and keep the blood flowing to it with exercise, weight training etc. I lost 100 pounds when I was that age (ok, almost 100, more like 92) and i had NO loose skin at all, after a year around that.

Now, I worry, but I am 40. That said, I would still much rather wear the loose skin than the fat underneath the same amount of skin. =) But at your age, don't worry about such things. Just eat right, exercise and let your youth do its job :)
  • HeatherScottTN
    HeatherScottTN Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You are YOUNG and Your Skin if very young too...so it will grow with you in whatever direction you go... up or DOWN like you have plans to do!

Stop Worrying and start taking the baby steps to start living the dreams you want as they relate to your health, fitness and Body Beautiful!

You CAN DO THIS! You will not have any problems with "skin" being too lose if you do it healthy..
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Dry skin brushing toward the heart is said to help, also massaging with a nice, rich lotion. At your age, I don't think you have much to worry about. Been there, done that, no loose skin.
  • flabbytofabby
    Options
    Thankyou, I'm just being a little worrier. (I have very bad anxiety)

I'm going to go and have to learn more about strength training, luckily somebody at the gym offered to help me get started on the weights (for free) as I have no clue lol.

I also heard Pilates is good for this?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Take it slow and all should be well. Water + Dietary fats are very important - get plenty of both, and perhaps consider a fish oil supplement :)
  • Marie294
    Marie294 Posts: 304
    Options
    What I'm working on is losing weight slowly, using a lot of lotion (I've read this is supposed to help) and lifting weights to lessen the jiggle. I've also heard drinking a lot of water helps, because it keeps your skin moist.

I've heard it can take a while for the skin to catch up after weight loss, so be patient. Great time to lose the weight while you are still young and the skin should bounce right back to where it should be :) Good luck on your journey, You can do it! :)
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 and have lost 45 lbs with more to go, and I have loose akin on my stomach. As much as I hate it, I hated the extra weight more.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    You should not have a problem as you are young - the skin may take a little time to 'bounce back'. You seem to have a sensible expectation of your losses which is good and should help. After you lose a decent amount, I would drop that expectation down to 1lb a week.

ETA: I also agree with the recommendations to strength train.

I agree. :)