13 Weeks in 2013 - Change Your Life Challenge!!!

This will be a different sort of group than the standard "weight loss" group because it will not only be centered on weight loss or gain but lifestyle changes. Everyone will choose their own goals (will go over S.M.A.R.T. goal setting) and work towards them and the weekly challenges are just about leading a healthier life (physical, emotional, intellectual, spiritual, environmental, occupational, and social).

The challenges will always be set up in 3 tiers so everyone can work within their level or stretch themselves to the next one (e.g. one week will be a sodium week - eating under 1000mg, 1500mg, or 2000mg for the entire week; another week is strength training - just starting with lifting of whatever you have at home 3 days/week and showing some basic lifts and than ranging to upping your current weights by 5-10lbs at gym or trying some more advanced body lifting exercises for triceps at home).

Then some weeks there will be bonus challenges like eating vegetarian for 1, 3, or 5 days; preparing a healthy meal for a friend and bringing it to their house to share etc. There will also be some mindfulnness, mediative and reflective challenges sprinkled throughout because I find these have had some of the some very profound effects on my own quest for wellness.

So, there you have it, the only thing I am wondering now is about starting it on the 1st of January or perhaps starting it on January 13th (2013) because many people already abandon their New Years Resolutions by then and this could be a little reboot and it will run for 13 weeks. What do you ladies and gents think? I am going to limit the size of this group because I would like everyone to really get to know one another; I think when a group gets too large it is easier to drop-out into obscurity. If you are interested, please post to this thread, and I will set up the group in the next few days. Please, if you are going to join be committed to check-in twice a week and stay with us for the entire 13 weeks.

Replies

• MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    I need all the help I can get, especially with the emotional part of this journey!!!!! I am new to groups so I might need some 'help' lol....but count me in!!!!!
  • EvikeVersits
    EvikeVersits Posts: 18 Member
    I am in!!!
    Keep me updated!!!
  • shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    It is sooooo good to have you. I have about 8 ladies from my Friends list wanting to join, as well. I am hoping to have about 30 people.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    I'm in :smile:
    I prefer the idea of starting later in January as I'm still at home and enjoying home cooking and post Xmas indulgence until 7th January. Any time around/after then would be perfect :smile:
  • tyedyechick0930
    tyedyechick0930 Posts: 232 Member
    Please count me in! I definitely need all the help and motivation I can! :)
  • I am in! I have lost all momentum! I need the support to keep me on track.....a group to reply to always helps!
  • Shannonk507
    Shannonk507 Posts: 252 Member
    I am excited. Thanks so much for creating this! I have this and a Biggest Loser one, too. I like the idea of the 13th, for a reboot, and for some time to get the year underway. I am cool with whatever, though.
  • myJOF
    myJOF Posts: 26
    I'm interested in the challenge.
  • daniellescsu
    daniellescsu Posts: 101 Member
    I'm interested, also like the idea of Jan 13th. It takes some time to get back in to routine after the holidays and that will give us a chance!
  • I'm interested. I need some accountability and freindly encouragment to keep on track. I am much more interested in a life style change rather than just getting pounds off. Starting later in January sounds perfect sense.
  • HeatherL0219
    HeatherL0219 Posts: 6 Member
    I'm definitely interested! I'm also new to the groups here on myfitnesspal, but I'm learning!! :smile:
  • SweetCaroline85
    SweetCaroline85 Posts: 8 Member
    I am definitely interested! How do I join? I need to lose this extra weight and haven't managed to in the last four years of trying. No one to hold me accountable. Point me in the right direction!
  • donald149
    donald149 Posts: 211 Member
    Count me in also! I like the concept...
  • pitterpatti
    pitterpatti Posts: 33 Member
    I would love to be a part of this challenge, especially it is aimed at the whole person instead of just weight loss. This new year, I am dedicated to finally shedding these extra pounds.
  • TumblingSuperhero
    TumblingSuperhero Posts: 16 Member
    I love this idea, so count me in! :-)
  • Ok ok you're right, I should join :flowerforyou:
  • ForTheSmile
    ForTheSmile Posts: 89 Member
    I would like to join! This year is going to be different!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    I'm interested
  • lildaug
    lildaug Posts: 90 Member
    Sounds like a great idea. I'm interested so count me in! I'm ready to start any day.
  • shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    Hey everyone, thanks for all the interest. I have gotten quite a few emails and the general consensus seems to be to start on January 13th after everyone has broken all their other resolutions. haha That works for me and I will send out emails to everyone that was interested with the group details within the next week. Happy New Years!!!!