Worried :(

Options
2»

Replies

• chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    You are young and that is the best thing to help against loose skin. So lose the weight while you are young!

Best things you can do:
    1. Stay hydrated.
    2. Stay moisturized. Lotions with cocoa butter, CoQ10, or collagen elastin help. Luv the collagen elastin lotion from St. Ives!
    3. Don't yo-yo diet, your skin can't keep up. Same with rapid weightloss. Don't aim to lose more than 2 lbs a week.
    4. Massage helps.
    5. Most importantly, exercise! Especially strength training helps with loose skin. Don't wait till you reach goal to pick up some weights.

I lost nearly 70 lbs when I was 30 and didnt have any extra skin. Gained it back but I have lost nearly 60 lbs this time around and I still dont have loose skin yet. And I'm 35. So I think you'll be fine losing 80 lbs at 21 years old.
  • currierand
    currierand Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Just a quick tip/suggestion if you decide to purchase a fish oil supplement. I have taking Barleans Omega Swirl Fish oil in the lemon flavor for about a month now. I get mine from a health food store but I have seen it online as well. It is a "liquid" form and frankly tastes like lemon pie filling (tasty stuff)! I was taking pills before and I hated the taste and the fish burps that came with them. This stuff seems like a treat and I haven't had any of those side effects. (It's about 40 calories for 2 teaspoons/daily)

Anyway, I realize I sound like an infomercial, but I really like this product so far. Good luck to you.

Kelly
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I lost 80 lbs in 9 months at age 41 and don't have any loose skin. . My good friend lost the same amount of weight in 12 months at age 28 and she has tons of loose skin. We followed the same exercise schedule - bootcamp 3 or 4 days a week. A lot of whether your skin bounces back is genetics.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I am currently looking at loosing about 70-80lb which would take me to 120lb and in 5"6. I will be 21 in a couple of weeks

I am very very worried about loose skin, as I think that will be just as damaging on my confidence as being fat currently is.

I've been told because I'm young and only had extra weight on me for 4ish years it shouldn't be a problem but I'm not sure :(

Am I at high risk of this happening (I am not planning on loosing weight too quick going to try and keep it no more than 2lb although at the start due to water weight etc it could be 3-4lb)

Don't worry.
    Just don't do it too fast.
    And take goooooood care of your skin. Peeling once a week and body cream every time after shower.
    Actually you shoud do it after you lose weight too.
  • kandeelopez
    kandeelopez Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Loose skin is a result of excess fat still under the skin. If you continue to get in shape, it will reduce.
  • flabbytofabby
    Options
    I feel much better now yay.
    So
    Lose weight slowly
    Eat good fats
    Take fish oil supplement (try and find the lemon one lol)
    Strength train
    And lotion.

Yippee
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I've lost 85lbs, I have some loose skin, particularly on my arms and lower abdomen. I am about a decade older than you. Genetics will play a big part in whether or not you get it, and I'm sure your age will be an advantage. I've never heard any definitive answers on things that definitely work, but the things that seem to be mentioned over and over are to lose weight as slowly as possible (not a bad idea anyway to be honest), to keep well hydrated, to strength train as you lose and to keep the skin moisturised. Bio oil by Bioré is one that I've seen recommended for stretch marks and loose skin.

Mine hasn't improved very much so far, but I've also heard people say that time can work wonders, and that a couple of years after reaching your goal, things should have improved.

Really, my loose skin isn't that bad, and it's only visible to most people if I wear strapless tops. I have to say though, even if it was a lot worse, losing the weight is still absolutely 100% worth it. Work on that confidence now! I know it's a cliché, but confidence really does come from within. Loose skin will only drag your confidence down if you let it. You're a beautiful young woman, and you're going to rock that new body. Build up your confidence to go with the body, and people won't even notice the flaws. I know it sounds easier said than done. I read on your profile that you want to like what you see in the mirror. For many years, that's what I really wanted too. Yesterday, I was looking in the mirror, and I was so busy admiring the definition in the top of my upper arms, that I didn't remember the loose skin underneath. I would quite happily go out showing my arms off, and knowing that they look just as good (if not better) than a lot of other people's.

I didn't always feel that confidence, and I know that some of it comes with age, and not being surrounded with so many image-obsessed young things, as maybe you are at 20. Something to think about though, and definitely don't let it put you off losing the weight, or showing off your body (if that's what you want to do!) as you get more comfortable with it.
  • 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I started here at 248 pounds and after 16 months, I'm 161. The only loose skin I have is on my stomach, and that is from being pregnant. My legs and arms are toned and tight. And I've always been somewhat overweight. I'm sure you won't have a problem! My stomach is in pretty bad shape, but it keeps getting better and I can say I love my body now. It beats being overweight, hands down!
  • flabbytofabby
    Options
    Thankyou JesterMFP and congrats and the weight loss

Congrats to you to 20shan08 x