Dear New Years Fitness Wannabees

Options
Dear New Years Fitness Wannabees:

Tomorrow, you will brave your New Year's Eve hangover reeking of alcohol and stale smoke and trudge into your nearest gym or fitness center. You will plunk down some money and truly believe that your fitness this year will be different than last year. And the year before. And the year before that. You will sweat too much, too soon, doing exercises you shouldn't even be considering for several weeks until your body has adapted to your new "way of life." You will suffer some nagging injury or combination of injuries and be gone from your pricey gym or fitness center by St. Patrick's Day, surely as your dinner plate will be covered in a pile of corned beef and cabbage that night. You will shake your fists at the powers that be and curse the fact that you were "never meant" to get fit.

Before all that happens, may I offer a ten suggestions to maximize your chance of obtaining improved fitness.

First, get into a doctor's office and have a complete physical. Nothing ruins the glow of a good Bowl Season like a newbie dying of cardiac arrest while huffing and puffing on an elliptical machine or in a swimming pool. Make sure that your body can handle the new stresses that you are about to put on it.

Second, get yourself a fitness evaluation and a fitness plan from a QUALIFIED personal trainer or fitness instructor. There's a reason the networks make contestants on The Biggest Loser sign all sorts of binding and scary legal waivers. You can get seriously injured or even die doing things that your body is not yet ready to do. A qualified trainer or instructor will know how far to push you so that you obtain maximum benefit from your workout with minimum risk of injury or death.

Third, adapt your other personal habits to your new commitment to fitness. Smoking, eating badly, illegal or prescription drug use, excessive alcohol consumption, insufficient sleep and rest, and other aspects of your life outside the gym are likely to directly impact upon your success inside the gym.

Fourth, ignore Nike. Don't "just do it." If you "do it" incorrectly, you can seriously and permanently injure yourself. LEARN the proper techniques for utilizing weight training and cardio machines.

Fifth, stick to it. This is not a sprint. It's a marathon. Your results accumulate over time. They will not show up your first day, week, or few weeks. But they WILL show up if you are faithful to your new regimen and lifestyle.

Sixth, don't be discouraged by the crowds at the gym or fitness center. 80% of your fellow "fitness enthusiasts" will be gone by the time pitchers and catchers report to spring training. How do I know? Because I was one of them the past three years before this past year.

Seventh, it's a fitness center, not a singles bar. Many of the women who are there are far more dedicated to what they're doing than a lot of the guys. Cut them some slack and let them do their fitness thaing without fending off your advances.

Eighth, please consider your personal hydration before exercising. Dehydration is a leading cause of fitness-related illness.

Ninth, mirrors are inexpensive. Nothing personal, but I would rather not see your nut sack while I'm working out. And ladies, if you want to be taken seriously, you might want to consider not dressing as though you're doing a Hustler photo shoot.

Finally, wipe off your damn machine after you use it. As much as I like you (nah, I probably don't), I would rather not slide around in your bodily fluids. As I'm sure you wouldn't want to slide around in mine.

Who am I to be giving you advice? Well, I started MFP on July 25, 2012, and have lost 88 pounds in a little more than five months. When I began, I couldn't slowly shuffle for more than 1/10th of a mile. Now, I'm walking fast for 3-5 miles per day, six days per week and beginning my efforts with free weights.

I wish you the very best of success with your New Year's resolution. I hope you obtain the results and personal satisfaction that I have over the past half year. But if you don't, remember, there's always next year.

Scott R. in Houston, Tx.

Replies

• mgnmsn
    mgnmsn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    :D
  • Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Amen to all this! Great post!
  • bryanamb
    bryanamb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Well said!
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Beautifully put, as ever! but you forgot to say - Don't be afraid, it might just work and you might enjoy it (I know I have!)
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    snort.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    People who are mentally ready and committed don't say "I'm going to get through the holidays and REALLY get after it on January 1". They get going right away. And make no mistake about it, If you're not mentally ready, you won't get through the dark days and there will be some of those. I say this from experience because I went many years before I was mentally ready.
  • kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Amen! I love this:)
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year!
  • 03shearere
    Options
    thanks, iv already started my get fit but from tomorrow its serious, have cut down on the drink, coming off the *kitten*.down to 3 a day and ready to get excercising. Well done to you all who have done so well :) xx
  • beanerific518
    Options
    Very kind and insightful! Good luck with the free weights - you are going to LOVE LOVE LOVE the results!
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Thumbs up to you TFT! :smile: Hope you and the missus have a wonderful new year!
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Love this. And congrats on your lifestyle change and weight loss!
  • KoGettinFit
    KoGettinFit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Well said, & CONGRATS on your success! I for one am not looking forward to waiting for a treadmill or EFX b/c of all
    the new members who will be gone in 3 months tops! My husband is probably one of them to HAHA :)
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    So well put! You have a way with words Mr TFT!
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    A tip from me for the newbies:
    Don't be afraid to ask for help. There are people who don't like "noobs" in "their gym", but most of us are psyched about anyone who is serious. If you are too intimidated to ask someone in your gym, you can ask here. Ask questions, add friends, introduce yourself. Be involved in your change. We want you here and we would love to help you stick to your goals. I started unintentionally losing weight in April, but didn't start at my gym or MFP until August. Without the support I've gotten, I probably wouldn't be here now and definitely wouldn't have lost 50lbs. You're not alone. You aren't the first and you won't be the last to start. We're here and WANT to help. :wink:
    All of the OP's tips were great. I just didn't want this to get left out.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    lmbo congrats on the wtloss first of all! And thank you for saying what we all think regardless if thats us firsties in the gym only to give up by march to say the hell with it its too hard- I am too busy-I have no support etc etc!! I loved the part of the body parts hanging out and picking up gym "hangers on" for lack of better term lol Now that was funny!!
    Other than the funny parts....it was great advice and true! Thank you!!
  • karabear1985
    Options
    Bump
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    and THIS is why I love you!

You are an amazing inspiration. My fitbit is charged, the problem linking to my computer solved (at least for the moment) and my treadmill is ready for it's miminum of 3.1 miles/day minimum 5 days per week. I will remind myself daily of how good I feel when I exercise and how crappy I feel when I don't. THANK YOU for putting up with me! My fire has been reignited!
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    and THATS why I added you, such wise words!! :D
  • futurestarz
    Options
    Nice advice!