egg substitutes for vegans?

Options
What's a good "egg substitute" for vegans?

Like, I've heard of people subbing Tofu and pumpkin, but if I say, randomly put in a 1/2 cup of pumpkin instead of 2 eggs in say, a pancake recipe, won't that taste weird?...

I'm looking for something that actually "cooks" the same way as eggs - like, things that won't mess up the recipe in pancakes/bread/etc.

Thank you so much!!!

Replies

• jpwic
    jpwic Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Mashed banana, apple sauce, psyllium husk, ground flax seed are the ones that are often recommened to me, althoguh I tend to use the apple sauce more than anything else.
  • chris745
    Options
    There's an Australian product from a company called Orgran that's available in the US and in the UK called No Egg. It's actually made of (reading from the packet) vpotato starch, tapioca flour, calcium carbonate, citriuc acuidm vegetable gum (stabiliser) and methylcellulose, and you can literally substitute it for egg. Hope this helps.
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    nothing is going to replace an egg exactly...you've got to keep an open mind! ground flax, about a Tbl mixed with 1/4-1/3 cup water for each egg (allow a few minutes to thicken and chill in fridge) usually works well in breads and cakes. a product called ener-g egg replacer works better than flax in pancakes, and tofu is good for scrambles, quiches, etc.
  • cheerchicksie
    cheerchicksie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    thank you so much everyone! I'm definitely trying all of these :)
  • cwrugiraffe
    cwrugiraffe Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Unless its just replacing one egg (baking powder, oil, and water) I try to just find a different option without egg. We live on these for breakfast http://www.colourfulpalate.com/2011/06/22/vegan-banana-oatmeal-pancakes/ .... they are amazing!
  • cheerchicksie
    cheerchicksie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Unless its just replacing one egg (baking powder, oil, and water) I try to just find a different option without egg. We live on these for breakfast http://www.colourfulpalate.com/2011/06/22/vegan-banana-oatmeal-pancakes/ .... they are amazing!

that looks so good! i'm definitely trying that!