Why I won't be drinking tonight. Shock horror!

Options
Firstly, I'm an ex bar manager and cocktail connoseur. i LOVE my drink. But tonight, on New Years Eve, I've decided to not drink. Usually it's my excuse, get fully hammered and enjoy the evening, because tomorrow is another year right? Fresh start. But I thnk I've kinda been doing that all my life, making excuses like:

"It's my birthday, I should have eat/drink what I want"
"It's Xmas I should eat/drink what I want"
"it's 28th December, well New years is coming up I can start again on the 1st"
"It's New Years Eve, i can drink/eat tonight, tomorrow is a new year"

Now I'm all for having the odd excuse and letting go, but I make them far too often, so I thought this close of year it'd be different. I ran a 5k on Xmas day with the hope that any other day I think of an excuse not to, I can remember that I did a 5k on Xmas day so can today.

So tonight I won't drink, 2013 will be my best year, think of it like a race, 2013 is my new race, my endgame. Would you get drunk and start race day with a hangover or feeling crap. No I plan to start the year feeling better than ever and ready to give it 110%. I'll get drunk and off my face in 365 days time to celebrate how much 2013 was my year and that I did it.*

*Might retype this after failing 2013 :wink:

Replies

• Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Love the motivation! I heard it said on the radio the other day that we will start the new year exactly how we ended the last so to start motivated and ready to hit it is an awesome plan. Let's show 2013 that we're the boss!
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    yup hear ya! Plan on not having any tonight as well- had a few last night and didnt really do anything for me so why bother? Besides like you ...I am getting tired of waking up hungover and wasting my days and calories on the hangover eating binge!! How dumb can you get?!?!? lol
    No FAILING allowed!!! Heres to 2013 :flowerforyou:
  • randysbombshellgirl
    Options
    What a great post! I really needed that motivation. I myself will also not be drinking tonight & will try to keep the eating in check for a few reasons.
    1. Why should I blow it after all my hard work
    2. Empty empty empty calories!!
    3. It takes a lot if alcohol to get the desired effect
    4. I'm plunging in the freezing cold Atlantic ocean tomorrow. @ 10 AM.
    Have a safe and happy New Year MFP peeps
  • lamarnnem
    Options
    Great post. Ill take you up on this as well.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are determined to succeed, and that is great. I learned a long time ago that getting my drunk on is just not worth it for many reasons: useless calories, costs too much, hate the hangover, and the things that can happen when your judgement is impaired can have lifelong consequences. I enjoy activities all the time without booze, NYE is just another one.

I love what sweet sugar said, how you end one year is how we start the next. I have been so focused on making the healthy choices this week, I do indeed hope it continues. Glad to know others are sending/starting strong!!

And the only time you truly fail is when you give up!!!

Have a fun, safe evening. Stick to your plan and you'll do great!
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I'm with you all too! Haven't drank since Christmas and have felt amazing AND done better on my workouts! Already 2013 is looking better!
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I don't plan to drink tonight either. Maybe a small glass of champagne before bed, as I have to work in the morning!

I started 2012 in healthy mode and ended it in healthy mode (and 20+ lbs lighter!) . I plan to do the SAME thing this year.
  • suzmathew
    Options
    I'm in! Great idea to start the year early.
    if anyone can help motivate me exercise, would be good to have someone behind me?

:smile: :smile: :smile:
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Great Post, i'll drink your share for you :drinker:

Happy New Year everybody heres to a great 2013 :flowerforyou:
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! 2013 is our year of win, no excuses!
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    GREAT idea! i let myself go over all these couple of holidays and i gained about 5 lbs....which when i looked at it like this "omg! a few days of sabotaging my good habits....set me back almost a whole month!" smh as much as i would LOVE to get hammered in the new year, i think id rather start off the new year on the right foot!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Me too dude! On board!
  • Princessmia65
    Options
    Best of luck in the new year...........:smile:
  • nc805397
    nc805397 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm not drinking tonight either!! I have a weigh-in tomorrow morning!! LOL being bloated and hungover doesn't sound like a good plan to start my fitness challenge on the right foot lol!
  • weepywhitedavy
    Options
    Nice to see a non-drinking topic here, instead of the usual "how to drink and not gain too much weight" topic.
    Sober and fit is the way to go.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I am proud of you, i said the same thing all morning, i have since changed my mind.
  • veggieluver2
    veggieluver2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm onboard with no drinking tonight too even though it's NYE. It's also Monday, and I prefer to have wine towards the weekend--not the beginning of the week. I'll probably be asleep by 9:00. :0
  • CinnamonKai
    CinnamonKai Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I enjoy this post so much! I thought I was the only "lamer" that decided to NOT drink this New Years Eve. I want to start my new year with a clear mind, body, and spirit. I do not want to have it toxified with being hungover.

So, it's nice to know I am not alone. :)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    All your drink are belong to us.

d6eff3f5-ed34-4afd-ac9f-105e37b26463.jpg
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    enjoy!!

i'll be drinking.