Roasting veg

I'm trying to improve my diet and know I should eat more veg but to be honest I really don't like them that much. The only way I eat them is roasting them and was wondering if this is OK health and calorie wise. I just boil them for a bit then in the oven with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, is this ok?

Replies

• MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Steaming them would be better, that way you dont lose any nutrients. But if boiling is the only way you can tolerate the taste then any if better than none at all.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Try not boiling them. Use olive oil spray on the pan, then on the veggies. They will cook through.

Another thing that's good on top is parmesan cheese. Adds some flavor and texture.
  • L_Stradford
    L_Stradford Posts: 156 Member
    I do roast my veggies. But I also steam and boil them. With each, I cook between 5 and 7 minutes to really just warm them up and get them seasoned but still maintain my crunch and most of the nutrients. However, I am just like you, I don't care too much for vegetables and as long as I eat some with two meals a day (that's as far as it's going), then I am satisfied with my meals. You could be eating a double cheese burger instead.

So, roast on!
  • SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Roasted veggies are yummy! Try to work some raw ones in there a little bit at a time. You might come to like some eventually.
  • returntorural
    returntorural Posts: 339 Member
    I love roasted veggies. I prefer them to steamed anytime.
    Any way you can get yourself to eat your veggies I think is good.
  • LosingMyMarbles
    LosingMyMarbles Posts: 168 Member
    I roast also, but don't boil first.
  • Thanks for the reply's everyone, sounds like I'm doing ok with them and like someone said, I could be eating a cheeseburger! lol I'm not sure about not boiling them first, wouldn't they be rather tough? Would steaming them before roasting keep more of the nutrients in them?
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Have you tried "hiding" veggies in your food? Like throwing spinach or pureed carrots in your soup/chili/stew or mashing cauliflour and adding it to your mashed potatoes? There's lots of ways to sneak veggies into food that you already find delicious for the extra nutritional value without the veggie taste...
  • not sure where you live but here in Cali we grill our veggies a lot. We love them off the grill! A tiny bit of olive oil and some salt and pepper and it's a great break from steaming and roasting. My second fav is the steamer bags, SO easy!
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    If you don't like veggies I would strongly advise against steaming. (or even boiling) I find it completely overrated in every imaginable way.

For most people, roasting will provide the best flavor for vegetables. (except deep frying of course) But you shouldn't boil them beforehand, that will ruin the texture. The vegetables should be completely dry before putting in the oven. Simply toss in olive oil when raw (add salt/pepper/garlic powder as you like) and roast in high heat until they develop a nice baked color. Finish with parmesan if you can eat cheese and try lemon zest too.

I find this works best with broccoli, I haven't met anyone who will say no to this. Any other way of cooking broccoli simply doesn't compare. If you're not loving it, you're doing it wrong, believe me :) (unless you very specifically hate broccoli)

Also look into light casseroles, great way to get your veggies.

This. I just had roasted brussel sprouts for lunch. I hate brussel sprouts in any other form, but broiling them is pretty tasty. When people say they dislike vegetables, it's normally due to their method of preparation
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    If you don't like veggies I would strongly advise against steaming. (or even boiling) I find it completely overrated in every imaginable way.

For most people, roasting will provide the best flavor for vegetables. (except deep frying of course) But you shouldn't boil them beforehand, that will ruin the texture. The vegetables should be completely dry before putting in the oven. Simply toss in olive oil when raw (add salt/pepper/garlic powder as you like) and roast in high heat until they develop a nice baked color. Finish with parmesan if you can eat cheese and try lemon zest too.

I find this works best with broccoli, I haven't met anyone who will say no to this. Any other way of cooking broccoli simply doesn't compare. If you're not loving it, you're doing it wrong, believe me :) (unless you very specifically hate broccoli)

Also look into light casseroles, great way to get your veggies.

All of the above. Cauliflower is SO GOOD roasted until it gets a bit carmelized. Zucchini and yellow squash are really good roasted as well.
  • I'll give not boiling them a try then, can't hurt :-)

My favorite is sweet potato and butternut squash at the moment with parsnips coming close.
  • jillbeanschoop
    jillbeanschoop Posts: 61 Member
    I'm not sure about not boiling them first, wouldn't they be rather tough? Would steaming them before roasting keep more of the nutrients in them?
    No, they won't be tough. I spread my cut veggies evenly on a cookie sheet and spray them with olive oil spray. Then I sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper and sometime rosemary and/or thyme. I roast them at 400 or 450 degrees for about 20 minutes stirring two or three times during the process. I find the important thing is to cut the veggies to the appropriate sizes so they will all get done at relatively similar times. I usually do any of the following veggies together depending on availability:
    * green pepper quartered and then I cut the quarters in half again
    * yellow or zucchini squash cut into about 1 inch slices
    * whole or halved button mushrooms
    * onions, quartered
    * potatoes or sweet potatoes cut fairly thinly and small, maybe 1/2 to 1-inch cubes (they take the longest to roast)
    * whole green onions (most of the green tips cut off or they burn)
    * Roma tomatoes quartered
    * beets, also cut fairly small because they take forever to roast
    * broccoli flowerettes

The best part is what you do with the roasted veggies! Sometimes I mix with grilled chicken, salsa, shredded cheddar and wrap in a thin tortilla. I also mix the veggies with a small can of low sodium V8 for a quick soup. YOu can add a 1/2 cup of brown rice with just the veggies or in the soup mixture too. Mixed with whole wheat pasta and a few ounces of cooked salmon is good too. You can make a roasted veggie pizza using a tortilla and some pizza sauce. All of these mixtures make the veggies more enjoyable than eating just plain roasted veggies (although I like that too). I hope this gives you some ideas. Good luck and enjoy those roasted veggies :-)
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Roasted peppers, squash, carrots and onions are totally delicious. And I don't use any oil, Just straight in the tray and into the oven. Works just fine.
  • Could you blend the roasted veg to make a soup? I just prefer the roasted taste and it would be good if you could get that in a soup :-)
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Roasted veg is a great way of going

Try with a spary of olive oil but add one of the following for extra yummyness

red flakes
    seasoned sea salt smoke or rosemary
    smoke paprika
    portabella mushroom powder - Dole for extra vitamin D
    Garlic minced
    Fresh herbs
    Whole cumin
    Whole caraway seed
    Whole celery seeds
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    I make loads at the weekend and warm them up thro' the week
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I love all veggies - especially roasted.

I roast beets, potatoes, turnips, yams, and carrots in the slow cooker - tastier and easier than the oven. You don't add anything - just toss them in and turn on overnight.

If you want some variety that is simple and don't want a vegetarian one, try any of Jamie Oliver's cookbooks - especially How To Cook. Free recipes are here: http://www.jamieoliver.com/

His cooking is quite creative with simple ingredients. Watch the butter and oils though.

You can also add your roasted veggies to a thick soup (just chop the veggies and add stock and perhaps a bit of flour or barley for thickener). A touch of soy sauce or Worcester will give you that roast flavor in almost any soup - particularly things like pea or lentil. Anchovie paste (surprise!) also adds more flavor than you can imagine with just a teaspoon per pot.

I've also taken my roasted veggies and thrown them in a food processer with stock for a soup/stew.

You might try kohlrabi soup as well if you like roast veggies. It's my son's favorite. Can be made with brussel sprouts too.
  • jillbeanschoop
    jillbeanschoop Posts: 61 Member
    Could you blend the roasted veg to make a soup? I just prefer the roasted taste and it would be good if you could get that in a soup :-)

Absolutely. I have a potato soup recipe where you roast garlic and carmelize onions FIRST, then make the rest of the potato soup. It really boosts the flavor. I would blend the roasted veggies with some type of liquid - chicken stock, vegetable stock, V8, boullion, or something of that nature. I'm not sure the veggies alone would have enough liquid to make a soup - you'd end up with paste :-) But I think you are totally on to something with blending the veggies, just add some type of liquid to get a soup consistency. Let us know how that turns out!