2013: What will you do differently?

Options
Every year people make their New Year's Resolution and I believe that health and fitness related goals are by far at the top of the list. One reason for this, is that most people start off great and then slip and have to start over each year!

So what is your plan this year to make sure that you succeed and don't lose the hard work that you put in? What are you going to do differently?

Please don't say, "This year I'm more determined and dedicated to making it happen" because let's be honest, last year you did not go into it thinking you would slip, hit a plateau, or quit part way through. You were most likely just as serious as you are now. So if that is the only "change" that you think you are making, read through the responses to this thread and get some ideas!

So my question remains the same. Let's help everyone achieve their goals and maintain them this year! What are you going to do differently?

Replies

• newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I will be focusing on taking a rest week the second week of the year after running a 5k tomorrow on 1/1. Then I will refocus my efforts by combining strength training and cardio. The strength training will be heavy weights with Chalean Extreme. I plan on just doing cardio 2x a week. I also need to work on curbing my appetite for sweets and I know that can be acheived by not having them. I just need to set my mind to it. My goal is to not eat bad and then think that exercising can undo my bad diet. That has been a downfall for me. Just eat well and exercise will happen. Too much cardio can be bad actually and lead to injury. I know now that a good diet is the foundation for everything else and I really want to work on that. I"m not saying I won't have a treat ever again but I can't treat myself every day all day like I have the past week and then expect to lose or stay the same. This is the formula for weight gain, especially FAT gain... goal is to get muscle higher so must work on diet, strength training and having a good focus. Also, need to work on understanding when I"m actually hungry and not just when I want food for emotional reasons.
  • L_Stradford
    L_Stradford Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Honsetly, I am going to set the tone for my 2013 self! I will be on the treadmill, running/jogging/walking when the ball drops.
  • EEpling89
    Options
    I will stop searching for the "magic well-kept secret" and stop denying my body what it needs.
  • irvinfitness
    Options
    I will be focusing on taking a rest week the second week of the year after running a 5k tomorrow on 1/1. Then I will refocus my efforts by combining strength training and cardio. The strength training will be heavy weights with Chalean Extreme. I plan on just doing cardio 2x a week. I also need to work on curbing my appetite for sweets and I know that can be acheived by not having them ... Also, need to work on understanding when I"m actually hungry and not just when I want food for emotional reasons.

Great! Thanks for sharing. Good luck at the 5k tomorrow!
    -By the way Chalean Extreme is a great program (if you haven't tried it before). I know some people that have gotten great results with it!

Yeah changing your diet and mental attitude toward nutrition will definitely help! Like you said, it's not ok to "cheat" everyday and think you can just work it off. Yes, an occasional "cheat" to stay sane and even reward is ok as long as it is just occasional. Good luck reaching your goals this year! I'm sure you can do it!
  • ValentineMomma
    ValentineMomma Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Well, I actually don't believe in new years resolutions. My thinking is, do it now, don't wait until the end our beginning of the year to get started. I started getting healthy in April 2012. I just started walking 2x a week, and now I have 1half marathon under my belt. What I will do differently this year, is do another 3, half marathons, trying to make a new PR. I'm also going to get more active with my boys outside. :) More biking, more parks, not as many inactive weekends. :)
  • irvinfitness
    Options
    Honsetly, I am going to set the tone for my 2013 self! I will be on the treadmill, running/jogging/walking when the ball drops.

Awesome! Make sure you don't try to overdue it too soon. you don't want to burn yourself out or you will end up taking 1 step forward, 2 steps back. However, if you stay motivated and keep pushing forward I'm sure you can achieve your goals. check this thread again once more people respond to get some great tips for staying motivated and achieving your goals!
    Good luck in 2013!
  • L_Stradford
    L_Stradford Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Awesome! Make sure you don't try to overdue it too soon. you don't want to burn yourself out or you will end up taking 1 step forward, 2 steps back. However, if you stay motivated and keep pushing forward I'm sure you can achieve your goals. check this thread again once more people respond to get some great tips for staying motivated and achieving your goals!
    Good luck in 2013!

Thanks so much! Great thread for tips also.
  • irvinfitness
    Options
    I will stop searching for the "magic well-kept secret" and stop denying my body what it needs.

So are you saying that instead of looking for pills or a magic diet that you are going to eat healthy foods and maintain proper nutrition! If so, that is awesome! There are so many people that waste years starving themselves or trying pills that are only harming them.

Focusing on great nutrition is the best approach! Best of luck to you! Thanks for sharing!
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I will not fall and break my leg in 2013!

I will eat at 1200-1400 calories as consistently as I can

I will aim to burn 1000 calories a day without eating back my exercise calories!
  • irvinfitness
    Options
    Well, I actually don't believe in new years resolutions. My thinking is, do it now, don't wait until the end our beginning of the year to get started. I started getting healthy in April 2012. I just started walking 2x a week, and now I have 1half marathon under my belt. What I will do differently this year, is do another 3, half marathons, trying to make a new PR. I'm also going to get more active with my boys outside. :) More biking, more parks, not as many inactive weekends. :)

Awesome! Thank you for sharing! I completely agree that no one should ever wait for a new year to try and achieve their goals. However, since we are getting ready to start a new year and many are making "resolutions", it only seemed fitting to discuss them. Congrats on competing the half marathon in 2012! I wish you the best of luck for the upcoming ones and hope you get that PR!

Also, staying active on the weekends is great advice! I fully believe 1 rest day is needed each week, but that doesn't mean you can't do anything and people run into trouble when a day turns into a weekend and then that turns into a week. By staying active on the weekends you maintain the right mental attitude!

Hope you have a great year!
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Having lost 10 lbs in 2012 and then regained it through November and December, and let's face it, doing the same thing in 2011, I have to stop seeing my program as something a can temporarily "go off" due to celebration or stress. It has to become part of who I AM. I am going to work on visualization and self-talk that supports my identity as a healthy person who keeps my own health as a priority. I must also stop the all or nothing thinking, I have to find a way of incorporating treats and celebrations without it turning into the "lost weekend". I have to find a way to deal with stress through walking, breathing, yoga, laughing and drinking tea, rather than abusing myself with alcohol and food when I am depressed or angry. It will be an ongoing process to make those changes, the key will be catching myself before I slip too far.
  • irvinfitness
    Options
    I will not fall and break my leg in 2013!

I will eat at 1200-1400 calories as consistently as I can

I will aim to burn 1000 calories a day without eating back my exercise calories!

Ouch! sorry to hear about the leg! Injuries are a huge topic though and while yours may not have been preventable, many times they are. I encourage everyone to do the proper warm-up and cool-downs including stretching for their workouts. Breaking a leg demonstrates just how much of a set-back an injury can be. So if you can do your best to prevent the injuries that can be prevented you will continue moving in the right direction.

I sure hope nothing like that happens to you again this year and wish you the best of luck achieving your goals.

Thanks for sharing!
  • SkinnyMusic
    Options
    Everything will be different. I'm even changing my room, changing my look, and how I act, and so on. I tried last year, but I was in a depression state that wasn't helping.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Gonna start lifting in 2013~!
  • dark_light
    Options
    I want to stop eating food that are high in carbs. and eat more than 700 calories.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I am going to start my own customized exercise routine made by me just for me, then if I stick with it I'll share:)
  • Texafornia23
    Texafornia23 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I will stop trying to be less awesome in 2013. I tried it in 2012 and found that my awesomeness cannot be contained nor limited. I have to learn to live with who I am.
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My main goal for myself is to become a better runner. My main goal for my family is to make sure my kids are drinking lots and lots of water!
  • zoober
    zoober Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm happy how I can perform when I am in my daily routine with exercise and mfp to keep me straight. However, I've always felt that you can't separate out one area of your life to fix, you have to have the whole picture in balance. One of the things that has gotten out of balance for me over the years is clutter. I am buried in clutter. I am deliberately de-cluttering this year. I think it takes a commitment, just like losing the weight and keeping it off. So that's my plan and I am stickin to it. 8-)
  • petite_boleyn
    Options
    Make more positive decisions - bring healthier people into my life, make wise food choices, and most of all not let any man break my heart again. If his name ain't Jeremy Renner, he ain't worth my time for the next 12 months.

As for tonight...

Hawkstar_zpsab1b4bee.gif