lady question

Options
DanceForever904
DanceForever904 Posts: 611 Member
i need other possible reasons for why my period is late. i am on day 42 (1 week and 6 days late) ive taken a pregnancy test and its negative. i also came off birth control in july and just started getting my periods back in october. and on november 19th i had a 16 day god awful long period now nothing since december 5th....are there any other reasons beside pregnancy as to why my period is late

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    What kind of birth control was it? I was on Depo years ago and it took nearly a year to get back to normal.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I don't like suggesting this, but have you ruled out a possible pregnancy and early miscarriage?
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    PCOS or anovulatory cycles are possible. Could also be you ovulated really late this cycle and you're getting close to starting. Most gynos will see you after no period for 60 days and can give you medication to start your cycle over. Maybe you can get in to your doc then and get some testing done if your cycles are usually long like this.
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    There are so many variables. I'd make an appointment with an ob/gyn.
  • ashumeow
    ashumeow Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Consult a Gynecologist... they are good in these issues.. Hope u get better soon!
  • kasslass2
    kasslass2 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Definitely could be type of BC. I was on DEPO once and it took like 18 months to get back to normal. In that time frame my periods were ALLLLLL over the place.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I was told by my doctor, before I had the contraceptive bar implanted in my arm, that if I had it out it could take a year for my periods to 'tidy up' as she said. To be fair mine were pretty inconsistent to begin with, hence the implant.
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    see a doctor
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    i need other possible reasons for why my period is late. i am on day 42 (1 week and 6 days late) ive taken a pregnancy test and its negative. i also came off birth control in july and just started getting my periods back in october. and on november 19th i had a 16 day god awful long period now nothing since december 5th....are there any other reasons beside pregnancy as to why my period is late
    Going off hormonal BC can mess your periods up for a while, even months later. If the PG test was negative and you don't FEEL like you're pregnant, you probably aren't. But if you're really worried, see your doctor.

Also, stress can mess with your cycle. I once, in a period of stress after also going off the pill about a year earlier, skipped my period for three months. It might have been longer, but I restarted the pill, which forced a period a month later.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    There are all kinds of reasons. Take another PG test though.
  • _KATzMeow
    _KATzMeow Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    go ask your doctor
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    As others said, there are lots of reasons. If you experienced major stress close to your ovulation, it could have delayed ovulation which would then delay the onset of your period.
  • rcolours7
    Options
    get an appt w/ur gyn or primary to rule some common things out.

when was ur last gyn exam w/pap?

just keep track in the meantime of when u do get ur periods & the days spacing. this info will be very helpful to the dr. (either one).

when u do make the appt, ask to talk w/a dr & see if they want blood work & try & get that done prior to the visit. that way, when u do get to see the dr, the dr. will have the results and will have more conclusive answers to any questions that come up. it is also easier to go to the 1x then 2x for the same thing (saves $$)

when u do get ur period - are they fairly normal in how long u have it & are they painful or just uncomfortable & annoying? if there's a ton of pain that seems to be than just cramping, it definitely could mean there's something else than ur body trying to readjust from not being on "the pill"
  • drummer_lady
    drummer_lady Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Have you changed your activity level recently? I skipped a period when I increased the frequency and intensity of my workouts, and I've heard of this happening with other women when they start working out or bump up their intensity.

Another cause could potentially be stress. My cycle gets super messed up when I am under extreme amounts of stress, even though I am usually quite regular.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It could be that your hormones are still out of whack from quitting birth control. I would make an appt with your gyno, though, and be sure to ask if there is anything you can do to help regulate things more.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Have you changed your activity level recently? I skipped a period when I increased the frequency and intensity of my workouts, and I've heard of this happening with other women when they start working out or bump up their intensity.

Another cause could potentially be stress. My cycle gets super messed up when I am under extreme amounts of stress, even though I am usually quite regular.

Agreed on both counts. I skipped recently and I had been like clockwork for literally 10 years. I was just extremely stressed out.