Cleaning a HRM!

Options
Hi friends,
I just got a Polar Ft4 for Christmas and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I have used it four times and it says to clean it after the fifth time for the best reading. How am I supposed to clean the HRM strap?

Also, is it bad to run it under water where the rubber strap is that goes along the chest. I usually turn the water down to come out at a steady slow stream and then run it under there real quick, is this okay?

Thanks

Replies

• rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    You can just throw it in the washing machine..don't use fabric softner and then hang dry.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Take it in the shower with you and wash it gently with shampoo or soap. Rinse and hang. They are waterproof so getting it wet doesn't matter. I usually take the transmitter off the strap first so I can watch the strap properly though.
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I take my transmitter off my FT40 and wash off the strap under running water after each use. Then about every 5th use or so, I put the strap in a mesh laundry bag & throw it in the washer. Just remember don't use detergent with bleach or fabric softener :wink: After it is washed, I towel dry it & lay it out flat to air dry....
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You should always take the transmitter off the strap when you aren't using it to preserve the battery life. I rinse mine well under the tap every time I take it off and hang it in the shower to dry. You need to make sure there's no build up of salts from sweat in the mesh panels to keep it transmitting. It says you can throw it in the wash but I've had mine 2 years and never done more than wash it out in the sink after use.
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Sondrasr
    Options
    I have a ft7 and I was mine with body wash every time I wear it. I tried just rinsing it with water and ended up with nasty huge zits on my back where the strap was. I guess I am a big back sweater. Washing it after use with body wash seems to keep it clean and stop the big back zits. Sorry to be so graphic. Good luck to you.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Had a similar question myself, thanks for posting. No back zits though