portion control

Options
one big thing i am awful at is portion control. whenever i go out to eat or say, make some pasta at home... it was always double or even triple what i have now learned is an actual portion size for a meal. so now, as a start this weight loss journey i am trying to figure out a way to control my portion sizes and teach myself what an actual serving of food is. and learn to not be hungry after i am finished. i have gotten a lot of lean cuisine frozen meals to start with along with some small bags of chex mix, fruit, and mixed nuts but does anyone have suggestions on this? is anyone going through the same problem?

Replies

• pwprice59
    pwprice59 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I use a scale. Also you can eat mass quantities of vegetables that have very little calories.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Portion control is my main issue. The best way I found to try and help this is by making big batches of food for the week and then putting them in individual Tupperware containers in small portions. I immediately freeze them (well, after they cool). This way I have a good portion and ill add a small side salad or some fresh cut veggies. I try to avoid cooking large amounts of things that I can't freeze as a leftover meal as if its there, ill probably end up eating it all. A scale will help too!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale and weigh all your food before you prepare or eat it. Choose your meal before you go out if possible, look at the many visual representations of a portion of pasta/ meat etc online beforehand, consider asking the waitress to switch some or all of the starches for extra vegetables.

You should not need to learn not to be hungry, simply eat more filling foods and eat small mouthfuls, chew them thoroughly, eat slowly so your brain has time to catch up with your stomach. Filling foods include those rich in fibre, water, protein and to a lesser extend fat - many ready meals are low in these - be sure to eat your nine servings of low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables every day and protein little and often from breakfast.
  • rosyjjj
    rosyjjj Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone.. all good advice. it's going to take me awhile to get used to eating lots of veggies and such. i will have to invest in a scale
  • miasapearl
    miasapearl Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Eat more veggies. They're lower in calorie and fills you up more. Then go for protein. Leave carbs for last. You can also use smaller plates for portion control and limit yourself to one small plate (lunch plate). Use a blue plate if you happen to have one, it help curb your appetite.
    Here's a link to learn more about portion size: http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-portion-size-plate
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    the thing that has helped me most with portion control is HOW i eat my food.
    So, my food is in front of me, i take a mouthful, put my cutlery down and chew slowly then repeat.
    By eating slower and being aware of eating i feel full quicker and stop eating when i'm full.
    Seriously try it!
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this as well...as a child, I was a (forced) member of the clean plate club that followed me into adulthood. My husband and children bought me a digital scale for Christmas....BEST PRESENT EVER!!!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything now. I stopped inhaling my food and started really tasting and enjoying it. It does take a while to learn to control your hunger. I drank LOTS of water and ate Lots of veggies.
  • RockstarPunch
    RockstarPunch Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    1. smaller plate ware
    2. use measuring cups till you can eyeball portion
    3. do kid sizes in food:smile:
    4. when you see an average plate cut in in 1/2 to1/4 depending on what state your in (portions are crazier in some areas than others)
    5. Share and split food when in doubt
    6. remember your stomach is the size of your fist* no more no less
    7. break up your meals:smile:
    8. drink a 16oz of water before you eat a meal
    9. eat the fats last and chase it with warm tea or lemon water or ice water:flowerforyou:
    10. understand the food isnt going anywhere and you will eat tomorrow
    11. keep a goal in your head and fight boredom when eating
    12. eat when you are hungry and when hunger pangs are gone stop- we eat to feed our bodies NOT to be full-stuffed-suffocated.:noway:
    13. keep pushing--keep trying-progress not perfection
    > Progress:happy:
  • katiedidit1
    katiedidit1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Such great tips! You all are amazing! I weigh or measure everything. And we no longer watch tv while eating. Helps slow down. Good luck in the New Year!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I use a plastic scale from bed bath beyond for about $5. It is really a great learning tool. Weigh out two ounces of pasta....it really helps trains you to know. I do it with meat too. Three ounces of chicken and steak.. I know what it looks like now. use it religiously and before you know it..you'll have it down.
  • Cant0na
    Cant0na Posts: 34
    Options
    Portion control is my main issue. The best way I found to try and help this is by making big batches of food for the week and then putting them in individual Tupperware containers in small portions. I immediately freeze them (well, after they cool). This way I have a good portion and ill add a small side salad or some fresh cut veggies. I try to avoid cooking large amounts of things that I can't freeze as a leftover meal as if its there, ill probably end up eating it all. A scale will help too!

This really works!
    The added bonus is the time it saves each night in food preparation that you can then use for excercise.