I DONT drink Alcohol!

Options

Replies

• LesleyGillan
    Options
    I have the occasional drink though not much, mainly because I don't like the way it makes me feel if I have too many. another side effect for me is I don't sleep if I drink. Case in point....Xmas night I was at a big party and for the first time in years I had a few too many and I never slept. I put it down to a strange bed, strange noises ( my friends have a seriously big rat in the roof who was throwing his own party) and a snoring husband. But last night I had 2 beers and the same thing happened......

I don't get questioned but I do get the Oh go on, have a drink, be sociable etc. This year I am hitting the gym and healthy eating with a vengeance, not drinking will those empty calories will so not be a problem for me !
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    All my friends drive drunk. In fact, everyone I know drives drunk. There seems to be this under belly world where everyone says they don't drink and drive, but they all do it. Anyway, I just said that because no one cares about having a DD. I've mentioned it and they either laugh or say they don't need that.

This whole issue is a PITA. I'm just trying to meet new people where drinking is not such a huge priority. My friends are di*ks. But, I am finding that everyone seems to drink fairly regularly and fairly heavily. It's a trip. You don't notice it until you stop. Then it's like, "does anyone do anything sans alcohol?" It's sad that everyone around me is self-medicating their boring lives with alcohol.

Sorry, I'm a bit bitter about this right now.
  • animefan914
    animefan914 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    When I was in college and my friends asked why I wasn't drinking, I told them that I did not like the taste of alcohol because I didn't want to drink underage. They understood and never asked me again even after I turned 21(except once when the person forgot, and he apologized about forgetting after)

My problem are my brothers. They know I don't like most alcohol, so they always try to get me to taste their drink just so they can see the look on my face.

I tell people I like one beer and one ale. Root Beer and Ginger Ale:happy:
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Just say you don't drink. Plain and simple. Or you can tell them that someone (I mean you) needs to stay sober to remind them what they did that night. :drinker:
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I dont drink either! People think I am weird.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    while i do consume alcohol from time to time, no one should pressure you to do so. kudos for making the choices that fit you best regardless of the peer pressure.
  • Shrelana
    Shrelana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't drink b/c I can't stand the after taste, and don't need to get buzzed or drunk to enjoy myself. I tell people I think it's sad that they need to get drunk/buzzed/have alcohol to have fun.
  • ohtobe140
    Options
    I don't drink anymore either. My standard answer is "No thanks, I'm good" but often they don't leave it at that, so now I say, if I have to "You know, I've already had a lot to drink, I drank my share, your share, and their share a long time ago and my liver isn't allowed any more drink tickets" That usually either makes the uncomfortable and they leave me alone or they laugh and let it go.
  • Mountainbiker2015
    Mountainbiker2015 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I do not drink but that is because I have been in recovery from alcoholism for many, many years. I was in trouble with drinking before I hit legal age LOL. I think if you don't drink, fine.....If you do...fine also. I agree with a previous post that you don't and should not have to explain yourself. Too each his or her own in my opinion. Happy New Years to you!
  • ChristinaR720
    Options
    I very rarely drink, too (maybe 2 drinks per year). I don't go to bars and don't really hang out with people who do, but another option would be to order your drink separately from the bar and order a club soda with lime or Sprite with lime. It looks just like a vodka tonic and if your friends have been drinking, they will have no clue that it's not an alcoholic beverage.

But, if your friends truly care about you, they will respect the fact that you don't like to drink and leave you alone once you've told them so.
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I don't drink, can't stand the taste. I used say I'm allergic, driving or taking a break from drinking. Now I'm older and no one comments.
  • donald149
    donald149 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    After awhile your friends will accept the fact you don't drink. Simply because they'll have to! It's partly the age group (dating myself), mostly because there's little consequences for being hung over and sleeping in the next day. With jobs, kids, sports, people find the fun of drinking often diminishes.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    To the OP, don't explain yourself, there's no need and it's nobody's business. When they ask if you want a drink just say "no thanks" and if they ask why just say you aren't drinking alcohol. Or say, "yes! I'd love something to drink. How about some orange juice." The point being, you don't need to explain yourself.

To some of the other responders that don't drink, you're self righteousness and disdain toward people that do enjoy alcohol is astounding!
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    ME!! I drink it once in awhile.. BUT ONLY IF I CAN STAND THE TASTE! most of it tastes awful! If I buy a drink out I usually give it to my hubby. He will drink it. I understand what you are saying. I am always asked the same things. I just dont like it.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I don't really like the taste of hard booze. If I want to get drunk (which I don't often) then it's Long Island Iced Teas and whiskey sours for me, anything that is sweet or tart enough to mask that alcoholic taste. My body REALLY doesn't process booze well though, I've been known to puke/get hung over just being BUZZED! I like to taste of some beers though. All said and done I'd rather smoke a...:smokin:

2 NYE ago I hung out with friends at the bar, one of my good friends who has never tasted alcohol before and doesn't drink because of his alcoholic father, which I totally respect. But we were also with his BF and two other friends, all of whom drink but didn't that night because of his influence I guess? and I was the only one drinking in the group of 5. It's not very fun if you're the only sober one, same for when you're the only drunk one in the group!
  • m8605
    m8605 Posts: 102
    Options
    Never personally had that kind of problem, maybe cause I'm a guy at that. People are usually just surprised at that when I tell them I haven't had one sip of beer(which I bloody hate typing, seriously)/alcohol in my 25-26 years. If anything they just ask why and I simply say I hate how it changes my friends and I've never simply cared for it. I'm more "what you see is what you get".
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Not drinking in Wisconsin is blasphemy and you will be kicked out.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I am Christian but my Christianity does not forbid me from taking a drink if I so choose (as long as I don't drink to get drunk)... However, I choose not to drink. In this part of the US, I am not pressured to drink (though when I was younger there was some pressure to do so)... I used to drink. I don't any more. That is my choice. A true friend will respect that about me. There is nothing wrong with not drinking.... You are actually saving yourself a lot of problems, not the least of which is a lot of empty calories.
  • cdpark617
    cdpark617 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I drank enough in college, I just don't do it anymore. Not that I avoid it, I just don't.
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I don't drink and it's none of anybody's business why not. If you need a quick answer, tell them you're allergic to it. That shuts them up immediately!