Anyone know a great vegetarian burger recipe?

Options
skinnyplease1001
skinnyplease1001 Posts: 20 Member
I tried looking for one online, but most of them are made with beans, which I despise immensely. So if anyone knows a recipe without beans, Please do tell me. Thanks

Replies

• Stdavis53
    Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Easiest recipe ever! Go to nearest grocery store, purchase Boca veggie burgers. Cook on skillet for 5 min each side. Enjoy!

Seriously though, I would be interested if anybody posts a recipe on here. The Boca's are good, but I wouldn't mind trying making one from scratch.
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    http://www.food.com/recipe/tvp-veggie-burgers-295505

If you don't like beans, then you are pretty much stuck with TVP based veggie burgers. You can buy TVP in the health food section or on Amazon.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    No lentils too?
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Not sure if this will help, I copied this from somewhere else, I've not actually made these

A great standby meal for my large family is 'patties'. They're cheap to make and are a family favourite. Into a large dish I grate whatever vegetables I have available, for example, carrot, potato, pumpkin, sweet potato, broccoli and stem, zucchini and so on. I then add some finely chopped onion, garlic and celery tops, including the leaves. I throw in a very generous amount of mixed herbs for flavour, add salt to taste, eggs to bind, and some flour for the binding as well. I blend up some rolled oats to make oat flour, about 1/2 cup for a small batch of patties. The rolled oats makes the patties firmer. I mix all the ingredients together, adding water if the mix is too dry or flour if the mix is too wet.
    I heat a pan and pour in just enough oil to cover the bottom. I use olive oil, and have the oil hot enough to seal the patties as they're being cooked. If the oil is not hot enough to seal, the patties will absorb the oil and make the patties too greasy. I turn the patties after a few minutes to cook the other side until golden brown. I serve with salad or vegetables for a main meal, or use them as a terrific sandwich filling.
    NOTE: I use an ice cream scoop to pick up the mixture and put it into the pan. This means the patties are the same size and look really good.
  • ChristineS_51
    Options
    PATTIES Basil ricotta cakes with tomato, cucumber & radish salad
    Preparation Time 20 minutes
    Cooking Time 8 minutes
    Ingredients (serves 4)
    • 100g pkt walnut pieces
    • 600g low-fat ricotta
    • 1/2 bunch basil, washed, dried, leaves picked, shredded
    • 3 green shallots, trimmed, thinly sliced
    • Salt & freshly ground black pepper
    • Plain flour, to dust
    • 1 tbs olive oil
    tomato, cucumber & radish salad
    • 2 tomatoes, cut into 12 wedges each
    • 1 Lebanese cucumber, thinly sliced
    • 1 bunch radishes, trimmed, thinly sliced
    • 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
    • 1 tbs white wine vinegar
    Method
    1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Spread the walnuts on a baking tray and bake in preheated oven for 5 minutes or until lightly toasted. Transfer to a plate and set aside for 5 minutes to cool.
    2. Meanwhile, to make the tomato, cucumber & radish salad: combine the tomatoes, cucumber and radishes in a medium serving bowl. Combine the oil and vinegar in a small bowl. Drizzle over the salad and toss to combine. Cover and set aside.
    3. Finely chop the walnuts and place in a large bowl. Add the ricotta, basil and green shallots, season with salt and pepper, and mix well.
    4. Divide the ricotta mixture evenly into 8 portions. Use wetted hands to shape each portion into round 8cm patties. Dust each side of the ricotta patties lightly with flour and shake off any excess.
    5. Heat the oil in a medium non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add half the patties, and cook for 2 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a plate, cover loosely with foil to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining patties. Serve immediately with the tomato, cucumber & radish salad.

Not burgers, but something you could use in place of a burger?

Also TVP as someone suggsted.
  • ChristineS_51
    Options
    Also get those giant flat field mushrooms, grill them as a burger replacement?
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You can use minced mushrooms as burger base, they are delicious, have lots of proteins. Just replace meat in hamburgers with mushrooms, make them stick using flour (the mushrooms will give enough water). You can also add grated potatoes, carots and spinach in the burger. Diced onions and garlic are a must.

Mushrooms are always a good meat replacement.

http://americanfood.about.com/od/vegetarian/r/Mushroom_Burger.htm
  • edwarddreary
    edwarddreary Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Two of the best I've tried are below. I've done the calorie count on the Beetroot burgers. It comes out at 477 calories per serve (2 burgers). The recipe could be made with fewer calories though by replacing the olive oil with low fat cooking spray. In any case, they're very filling. You could easily eat just one burger for lunch with some salad. Measurements are all metric (sorry!). The recipes are from David Herbert in The Australian weekend magazine.

BEETROOT & ZUCCHINI BURGERS
    Serves 4
    2-3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 red onion, finely chopped
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 raw beetroot, grated
    2 zucchini, grated
    1 large carrot, grated
    100g wholemeal bread, no crusts
    400g tin chickpeas, drained
    3 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
    1 egg yolk
    3 tablespoons chopped parsley

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan and fry onion and garlic for 4 minutes. Add grated vegies and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, then drain off any liquid. Put bread, chickpeas, peanut butter and egg yolk in a food processor and pulse to combine. Transfer mixture to a bowl, stir through grated vegetables and parsley, and season generously. Make 8 burgers. Heat remaining oil and fry for 3 minutes on each side.

SPICED CARROT BURGERS
    Serves 4
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    4 spring onions, sliced thinly
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
    8 medium carrots, grated
    3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/2 teaspoon crushed dried chilli
    2 egg whites
    2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
    Juice 1/2 lime
    1/4 cup breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 180C. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan, add spring onions, garlic and ginger and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in carrots, spices and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, for 5-7 minutes. In a mixing bowl, whisk egg whites, peanut butter and lime juice. Fold in carrot mixture and breadcrumbs. Let sit for about 10 minutes then season to taste. Shape into 4 burgers. Heat remaining oil in frying pan over high heat; add burgers and cook until browned, then transfer pan to oven for 10 minutes.
  • ChristineS_51
    Options
    @edwarddreary - yum, going to add them to my collection of vegetarian recipes

and @clementine, thanks for sharing, added to my collection as well - they sound great :smile:
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I used to love the way my mum made her rissoles, and have missed them since I've become a vegetarian. Never fear! These do the trick. This recipe makes around 20 rissoles, so adjust according to your situation.

I serve with baked potato, pumpkin, peas, gravy and corn on the cob, or even broad beans, tomato, baby spinach leaves, etc. They can also be served well as a burger patty

Vegetarian Rissoles

Ingredients:

1 large onion (diced)
    200g fresh mushroom (sliced)
    1 capsicum (diced)
    2 garlic cloves (sliced)
    1 medium carrot (diced)
    1 cup prepared lentils (see lentil package for instruction)
    2/3 cup flour (plain or wholemeal)
    1-1/2 cup breadcrumbs
    1 free range egg
    pinch of salt
    dash of pepper
    oil for cooking
    2 Tbsp butter

Method:

1. Sautee onion in butter until it goes golden and opaque.

2. Add mushroom, cook for about 5 mins add the rest of your veges cook gently for 10-15 mins. Allow to cool.

3. In mixing bowl add prepared lentils, egg, salt and pepper, mix very well until combined.

4. Add sauteed vegetables mix well until combined.

5. Gradually add 1/2 a cup of plain flour and 1 cup of breadcrumbs until you can form firm round rissoles.

6. Form the rissoles by placing 2 tablespoons of mixture rolled in your hands, Keep adding until desired texture is reached.

7. on a dinner plate add 1/3 of a cup of plain flour and 1/2 cup of bread crumbs mix together (or 1 cup of flour). Roll your prepared rissoles in this mixture ensuring an even coat.There are a few ways these can be cooked.For the health conscious, bake on a greased tray in a 220 deg celsius oven for around 20 minutes per side or until golden.Otherwise, fry in a frying pan with sufficient oil to half cover the rissoles. The oil must be hot. Place the rissoles in the oil and cook for around 5-10 minutes until a deep gold, then turn the rissoles over.

NOTE: Try not to turn the rissoles more than once as they can break apart.

Serves: 4-6
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I tried looking for one online, but most of them are made with beans, which I despise immensely. So if anyone knows a recipe without beans, Please do tell me. Thanks

Quinoa burger patties.

ETA: Millet burger patties
  • skinnyplease1001
    skinnyplease1001 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the recipes, I will try some of the suggestions, many sound incredibly delicious :)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Here's a few links to check out:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/zucchini-patties/detail.aspx *With some tweaks this one could be made healthier.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/portobello-mushroom-burgers/detail.aspx *Mmm yum!

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/maindishentreerecipes/r/vegveggieburger.htm

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/maindishentreerecipes/r/lentilburger.htm *these sound Awesome if you eat lentils!

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/maindishentreerecipes/r/tofuveggieburg.htm

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/veggieburgerrecipes/r/potatoburgers.htm

I know there are also sweet potato recipes out there for veggie burgers, recipes with mixed veggies that make great patties... so the sky is the limit. Try taking a recipe that sounds yummy to you and if it has beans in it, substitute another ingredient instead that will keep the patty from falling apart.
    ***This is for anyone that loves beans and would like to try this recipe out:

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/veggieburgerrecipes/r/mushroomburger.htm