table of calorie values

Options
Hi, I am very new to this site and still finding my way around. Sitting here after lunch trying to plan some meals for the coming week and can't seem to find a table of calorie values anywhere. In planning meals and snacks for the day I think it would be very useful to be able to see a list of foods and their calories to enable us choose from the lowest, instead of choosing a food possibility first and then searching. If there is a table somewhere on here could someone please let me know? Thanks

Replies

• CloverCreeper
    CloverCreeper Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    There's way too many foods to have a table of them.
    I think the search system is pretty useful.

My meals are usually pretty simple with 2-4 components.
    Like brown rice and black beans, or tofu stir fry with broccoli
    or something like that. *shrug*
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    No, there is nothing like that on here. After a while you will learn what will be low cals and what will be higher. If you are trying to plan ahead, stick to fruits, veg, lean meats etc and you can't go far wrong. PORTIONS are important. Read the packets.

Try using some low cal recipes from here or other online sites to set you in the right direction
  • highwhite
    Options
    Yep thanks for that, I guess I just have to get into the swing of it. I was thinking of something along the lines of the little calorie booklet you sometimes used to see at supermarket checkouts!! However I am sure it will be quite easy and largely common sense. Probably will just create a little excel table for myself for reference. Cheers and thanks
  • anikanoor
    Options
    I have some calorie booklets.I can post it.u can give your email id so that i can send you those pdf files
  • Medic911ETH
    Medic911ETH Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You can look up specific foods http://www.fatsecret.com. I use this site whenever the database here doesn't have just what I'm looking for. I've been editing my post several times in unsuccessful attempts to provide a working link, sorry.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I probably wouldn't go downloading files from complete strangers...

You don't have to to get it right day one, or even week one.
    Keep trying whatever foods you want and use the data you learn from logging food and aiming for your goals (the numbers in green/red at the end of the day) to slowly improve your food choices.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    If you go to the food database and search for the item you can click on the different items to see their values without logging it to your diary. Often it's better to do this BEFORE you eat something as it can definitely affect portion size! :laugh:
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    If you go to the food database and search for the item you can click on the different items to see their values without logging it to your diary. Often it's better to do this BEFORE you eat something as it can definitely affect portion size! :laugh:

Some users plan and add an entire day before eating it. Not my approach, but whatever works, and the whole concept of this site is that it is a customisable tool, not a single diet approach.