No gym membership???

Options
Ok so one thing I have realised recently is that people seem to think you need a gym membership in order to lose weight….this is RUBBISH!

Yes, it can help but if you're committed you can workout at home and lose weight….probably take a tiny bit more work but there's no travelling!

There are plenty of resources available online! Feel free to PM me if you want some ore information!

Adam

Replies

• Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Ok so one thing I have realised recently is that people seem to think you need a gym membership in order to lose weight….this is RUBBISH!

Yes, it can help but if you're committed you can workout at home and lose weight….probably take a tiny bit more work but there's no travelling!

There are plenty of resources available online! Feel free to PM me if you want some ore information!

Adam
    You don't need online resources. wait.gif

If you have access to outside the building, use the road as your threadmill for running or buy a bicycle and ride.
    Buy a cheap set of second-hand weights (e-bay, etc).
  • AdamBellfpt
    AdamBellfpt Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Online was an example!

The point I'm making is that just because you don't have a gym membership doesn't mean you cant get fit!
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    so true I never go to the gym nothing against the gym I just like doing things at home and outside.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i like going to the gym. the energy there gives me energy to workout harder.. plus with my busy schedule its nice to stop there, shower u p and then continue on with work or wherever i have to be. i work out at home too . i turned one of my livingrooms in to a gym and have invested a minimal about of money to have it . i let everyone know if they had any workout equipment they were looking to get rid of to let me know. there is a local online group where people give things away and i was able to get stuff from that too.. i asked everyone to give me a home depot card for xmas and have invested that money in workout flooring and paint to redecorate my new home gym ..its all just awesome !! outside in the summer i set up obstacle courses and use my pool and of course hoof it out on the streets and in the parks .. the local health insurance companies have been setting up exercies classes outside in the parks for the summer time . so yes tons of other ways to make things work besides going to a gym.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options

Adam
    You don't need online resources. wait.gif

If you have access to outside the building, use the road as your threadmill for running or buy a bicycle and ride.
    Buy a cheap set of second-hand weights (e-bay, etc).

THIS /\

i haver a 2nd hand bike from a peper :)
    a wii(thats how i started off) and walking/running is totally free of charge! :)
  • DanTillson
    DanTillson Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Very true! lost all my weight and trained for a triathlon BEFORE I joined the gym. Did join a local swimming pool though, hard to practise swimming in the bath lol.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I havent been to the GYM at all since I have been on here. Started on September 1,2012.
  • shellux
    shellux Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I can't go to the gym as it isn't open the time that I want to work out but there is so much available without having to go. I totally agree. Plenty on You Tube to keep it varied. Admittedly you don't have the support from trainers at the gym but that is what MFP is for. I've learnt a lot from here.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I like the gym for the pool and sauna. Now if I could just find those two alone....
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    ... people seem to think you need a gym membership in order to lose weight….this is RUBBISH!
    I agree 100%.

Once you make the mental commitment for positive changes, you stop with the excuses and get on with improving your life.
  • ChristinaR720
    Options
    I'm not a gym person and I don't think I ever will be. I started exercising at home and eating right the week after Thanksgiving, and I'm down 15 lbs! If you truly want to make a lifestyle change, not having a gym membership shouldn't stop you!!!
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    My membership runs out in Feb and I am not going back. My goal is to lose weight AND save money this year. I burn just as many calories at home. ANYTHING is possible!
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym definitely isn't necessary. However I like the ability to get away from the house and all the responsibilities and just focus on me.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Adam

Nope, all you need is a calorie deficit, and certainly don't need to buy into multi-level-marketing schemes.
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about joining planet fitness to use their treadmills during the winter, its only $10 a month and cheaper than buying a new treadmill. I don't like wasting money on gyms, I have my own equipment.