How to Diet with no Money

Replies

• Monicapierce
    Monicapierce Posts: 126 Member
    Sounds like you need some temporary help from the governement. Dont be ashamed of asking for food stamps, that is what they are there for! Also, I think it would be awesome to actually see someone use foodstamps for fruits and veggies rather than cake, pizza, and soda....
  • First, admit the situation sucks. Second, get ready to stretch your dollar and improve your cooking skills. There have been some good tips on here about getting bulk, food pantry and sale items; these are all good ideas. But what you'll want to do is get all the cheap stuff prepared into meals that are both healthy and enjoyable. It is possible, but it will take some practice. It is glib to say that this is an opportunity, but it is. Not only can you make good food and lose weight, the feeling of accomplishment will help you get through the days of unemployment. Trust me, I've been there too. Best of luck.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    By in BULK!
    split peas
    legumes
    brown rice

veggies, bruised ones taste just fine when you have $20 to spend
    save every bit of them to onion skins to potato peels etc. and make your own broth for soups
    Dollar Store shopping food section
    Plan ahead, scour the net for ideas
    Search on MFP in the archives for a billion awesome threads on this topic, lots of great idea were shared.

Food Net or Food Pantry if you qualify, Asian Markets etc. for very very low cost dry good and delicious veggies

There is food out there and help is available, if you have to swallow your pride and cut back all extras in your life to do it.

We make our choices of what's most important, wasting money on quick junk food for two days or a load of legumes, bruised veggies, soy, etc.

The sky is the limit, it's actually a fun time when the chips are down and you get to see how resourceful you actually are.

Loads of great thread have been shown on this very topic!
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    First of all, I feel for you. My husband and i went through a very tough financial time. Being jobless affords you a good amount of exercise time! Don't feel guilty--use the time! The energy that exercise will return to you will feed your stamina to search out a good job! The open highway is the largest, cheapest gym in the world--go run--go walk!

With regard to food--a few tips... Avoid anything branded or packaged. Find a good local farmers market for fruit/veges--they will be fresher and cheaper. Buy bulk eggs--if you can't afford a costco or sams membership, you can buy one of their giftcards at the store for any amount and then shop there without a membership. If you live somewhere where there is growing this time of year, meet up with local farmers etc and offer to volunteer a few hours a week in exchange for some really healthy produce. I have a sort of "roll up your sleeves" approach to getting what you need.

$20 is a real challenge for a month of groceries! Avoid the low fiber carbs--they simply make you hungrier as you gain weight eating unproductive/empty calories!

Here's my favorite cheap/healthy foods:
    eggs (focus on the whites)
    sweet potatoes
    tomatoes (1 tomato greased with olive oil, doused with salt/pepper and baked in oven is a delicious meal!)--on the surface, not cheap but super beneficial and can serve as a whole meal.
    Nothing wrong with buying thighs--just trim the fat. You cook those long enough and they really lean out.

Good luck and the $ will come. Focus on your good health--that no one can afford to lose!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    There's nothing wrong with beans, rice and pasta, you just have to watch your portions. Frozen veggies are just as nutritious as fresh and are much cheaper. Canned tuna packed in water is a good protein source. Watch for chicken breast on sale. Frozen fish can often be cheap if you don't buy the fancy types.

Since you have time to cook create combo meals using those ingredients together in a stir fry. As long as you stay in your calorie budget it doesn't matter what the food is that you're eating as far as weight loss goes.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    I am currently unemployed. I want to use this time to get healthier and lose weight because I finally have time to cook meals and exercise. When I go to the store to buy mostly fresh produce and proteins my grocery bill triples! Because I have 0 income I feel pressured to buy things that will last longer and cost less such as Ramen Noodles, Beans, Rice, Pasta, etc. I know that these things should not be the bulk of what I am eating but my cabinets are empty and I don't know what else to do. I am truly always HUNGRY. Even though I have been more active, I have actually gained weight because of my carb intake. I have $20 to buy my food for the next month. There has to be an affordable solution to this problem. Please Help.

You don't gain weight cause of high carbs. You don't lose weight by eating protein.

You want to lose weight, burn more calories than you consume, that's it. Don't make it complicated. That means you can eat, ramen noodles, beans, rice, pasta etc... just stay under your calories.
    Right, now is not the time to focus on anything other than working with what is real and possible.
    Forget macro's, diets and anything outside your budget.
    When funds permit, sprinkle your grocery list with lean meats, fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, low fat dairy, whole grains and some supplements if you like.

One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity.
    Albert Schweitzer
  • Steph4454
    Steph4454 Posts: 164 Member
    Ramen Noodles, Beans, Rice, Pasta, etc......whatever, it is what it is...include some muli-vitamins and worry not.
    I've been where you are.
    Never forget these lean times, because when things get good, your appreciation for life's blessings will remain.
    Just make the best of this situation and stay motivated.
    No matter the challenges, no matter the trials, no matter the setbacks.
    Just stay inspired, motivated and always push hard toward your goals.
    All Is Possible!

My new hero!
  • SammyKatt13
    SammyKatt13 Posts: 124 Member

You don't gain weight cause of high carbs. You don't lose weight by eating protein.

You want to lose weight, burn more calories than you consume, that's it. Don't make it complicated. That means you can eat, ramen noodles, beans, rice, pasta etc... just stay under your calories.

Some people do gain because of carbs... I can eat 1600 calories of 200 carbs a day and I WILL gain weight. If I eat 1600 cals of 50 carbs and high fat I lose weight... So just staying under calories doesnt ALWAYS work.
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Buy things in bulk. If there is a health food store or an Asian grocery store nearby--shop there. The prices are usually cheaper (esp. at an Asian grocery store) and you can buy things like brown rice, which is healthier than ramen, in bulk. Don't forget about frozen produce! When there's a sale (like 10 packets of frozen spinach for $10), I just stock up and end up eating a lot of spinach. What really helped me, when I had no money, was soup. I made a big pot of soup at the beginning of the week and just ate it everyday. It was super cheap. Black bean soup and lentil soup are both really cheap to make. I can make a big pot of lentil soup for about $6 and it lasts me for a week!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    legumes are actually pretty good for you and filling, as well as a good source of protein...add some meat in small quantities to make it a complete protein. Buy dried legumes (various beans, split peas, lentils, etc) and prepare them at home (they go a long way and are dirt cheap). Serve them with brown rice or other whole grains like quinoa, couscous, etc

If you have or have friends who have memberships to Coscto or Sam's Club, stock up on meats and freeze them...also things like canned tuna and canned salmon which can be purchased in bulk at these types of stores and you can save a lot of $$. I personally recommend frozen fruits and veg to fresh if you're on a budget...they seem to be cheaper and go a bit further...they also usually have more nutrients than fresh.

If you haven't done so, you should look into assistance such as food stamps...no shame in it.
  • DanTillson
    DanTillson Posts: 71 Member
    Oats. Nice slow filling carbs, good for breaky and super cheap (80p a kilo) :) I mix with protein powder for flavour which still works out cheap (about a dollar I think) but without is super cheap.

Eggs are cheap and versatile too, save you having the same meal day in day out even with same ingredients.

Beans. You can buy kidney beans in the UK for 18p a can (lidl). I stock up whenever I go there. 25 cans for under a fiver can't be bad.

Potato. Again super cheap and last a long time. Would expect you can buy a bag for a dollar or two.

Frozen Veg. A couple of kilos here is a couple of quid.

The above is all I eat when on a budget, not sure if it would fit under $20 but it hits all your food groups well and I spend less on food than anyone I know. Hope this helps.
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Well first I'd suggest either seeking unemployment or benefits from the government, that is why it is there afterall, secondly, check out your local food pantry if you are in need of more options(many times they have some selections of fresh veg). I'd recommend things like turkey chili(ground turkey is bulk is cheap and you can use rice and beans to make large portions and freeze/refridge it). I'd recommend a site called Budget Bites, which focues on cheap recipes.

Thanks for the site recommendation, they have some very tasty loooking recipes on there and it's awesome how they break down the cost of the ingredients. I'm adding this to my favorties! :wink:
  • PermissionGranted
    PermissionGranted Posts: 203 Member
    The issue with eating those foods is that 1 pack of ramen noodles is around 400 calories. That won't feel you up. If you have a produce junction, they sell produce in bulk for really cheap. One trick I have is making a bag of broccoli, califlower and carrots. A large bag can run around 100 calories and it fills you up. Get assistance! Go you for not being ashamed of posting this. Many of us are struggling. I wish you well!
  • ncruso24
    ncruso24 Posts: 37 Member
    I'm sorry you're going through this. I know I've been there. I've actually saved a lot of money by dieting believe it or not. I don't buy too much fresh produce because I don't eat a lot (I gained from eating bad foods, not a lot of it). I buy a lot of canned veggies which is filling and actually really affordable. For lunches I buy campbells vegetable soup! 100 calories for 1/2 a can and its usually about $1. It's not ideal but it is what it is. The diet foods like the healthy choice meals sometimes are good too! The new healthy choice baked taste is only $2.50 for a meal of 180 calories. That helped me when I usually spend about $7 at taco bell or burger king. I hope that helps.
  • PermissionGranted
    PermissionGranted Posts: 203 Member
    The issue with eating those foods is that 1 pack of ramen noodles is around 400 calories. That won't feel you up. If you have a produce junction, they sell produce in bulk for really cheap. One trick I have is making a bag of broccoli, califlower and carrots. A large bag can run around 100 calories and it fills you up. Get assistance! Go you for not being ashamed of posting this. Many of us are struggling. I wish you well!

*fill
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    I am currently unemployed. I want to use this time to get healthier and lose weight because I finally have time to cook meals and exercise. When I go to the store to buy mostly fresh produce and proteins my grocery bill triples! Because I have 0 income I feel pressured to buy things that will last longer and cost less such as Ramen Noodles, Beans, Rice, Pasta, etc. I know that these things should not be the bulk of what I am eating but my cabinets are empty and I don't know what else to do. I am truly always HUNGRY. Even though I have been more active, I have actually gained weight because of my carb intake. I have $20 to buy my food for the next month. There has to be an affordable solution to this problem. Please Help.

Right, now is not the time to focus on anything other than working with what is real and possible.
    Forget macro's, diets and anything outside your budget.
    When the time comes when funds permit, sprinkle your grocery list with lean meats, fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, low fat dairy, whole grains and some supplements if you like.
    Good Luck!

This was my excuse when i was younger, when i was like 14-18. "I can't lose weight cause I don't have money." I realized it was a big lie.
    Right, at day's end, it's calories in vs calories out.
    I too was full of excuses.
    And yes, poverty sucks...but we are still in control.
    Being aware of our excuses is the mark of a successful person on his or her way to potential realized.
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    the site I use for my meal plan has a section for $1 recipes and less. It changes every week. http://www.soscuisine.com/?sos_l=en

I buy a lot in the discounted bins. After a while if you go every day to check at the store, you'll know on what time and day they usually discount produces and you will be able to get first choice. Same goes for dairy products. Check the dates on the products and come by a few days before the expiry date, chances are the unsold ones will be discounted then.

Look for cooking and purchasing groups. The members buy together and get a lower price then they cook huge batches of food together and share the results. You can skip the cooking part and only use the group buying discount.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,654 Member

Buy frozen veggies. They are cheaper and last longer. look for sales. Tuna is cheap. Eggs are cheap. You can usually find chicken on sale for pretty low prices. Cut out all liquids that cost money. a $2 soda can buy a pound of chicken breasts on sale.
    You can still have Ramen noodles, but add frozen veggies and protein to them. Sliced boiled eggs, chicken breasts, pork roast, etc.
    Buy meat in bulk and when on sale. Separate it into individual servings in baggies and freeze it for later meals.
    Cook all your own food. Convenience foods are much higher priced.

It can be done, just takes planning and good choices.
  • km202
    km202 Posts: 112
    Oatmeal would be an awesome breakfast idea. It is cheap and super filling. You can use whatever you have extra to make it better (honey, sugar, fruit, nuts, even maple syrup. Like I said, whatever you have)

A big pot of soup is cheap, healthy, and goes a long way. You can make a big pot at the beginning of the week. Potato soup, vegetable soup, chicken noodle, whatever you like. You can choose what goes in so it is much healthier than ramen or canned soup and it is surprisingly pretty cheap in the long run.

Stir-fry is one of my favorite dinners. Buy whatever meat you can find on sale (beef, chicken, pork, whatever will work) and do the same with frozen vegetables. Walmart sells frozen stir-fry vegetables of $0.98. Any vegetables will work. Rice or pasta, meat, veggies, and maybe even eggs if the are on sale. You can spice it up or buy a cheap bottle of sauce. It goes along way and you can always change up the veggies or sauce so you don't get burned out.

Good luck!
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    do you have an aldis in your area? they have inexpensive frozen vegetables.. buy peanut butter, eggs , tuna and oatmeal.. but really you should go to the local social services and apply for food stamps . you can also go to a food pantry to get things. dont be ashamed to do it either. i was dirt poor at one time in my life and i got help . today im doing well in my life and ive made sure i always help out people in need . good luck with all that!!