What to do with Tilapia.

Options

Replies

• Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    My daughter has decided NOT to eat Tilapia. She had it once a year ago, came down sick and blamed it on the fish now she won't eat it. I'd like to HIDE it in something and see if she really gets sick or if it's all in her head. I need a recipe to hide it in.....
    What a horrible thing to do to someone. My parents 'hid vegetables' in my food when I was 7. I never ate another home-cooked meal. I can't tell you how violated I felt, but it stuck with me for decades, I couldn't eat food without first picking it into small enough pieces to know there wasn't something awful hidden in it.

You can't possibly be doing this for her benefit, she's not going to miss out on all the good things in life because she doesn't eat tilapia, nor is she going to be ostracized for it.

Horrible? Violated? Friend you have issues but I dont think it is rooted in your food being "camouflaged".

There is nothing wrong with trying to prepare food in a manner that a child will find acceptable - and you have to admit, it's a heck of a lot better then just tossing fast food on the table. It is a responsible parent who tries to provide the very best nutrition for their child.

One may not like plain ole steamed rice, but will go wild over it in a jambalaya...so just where is the violation?
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I tend to not trick my kids with food or they look at things suspect. My daughter was a vegetarian for 5 years and I just wouldn't have done that to her. She still doesn't eat fish -- it makes her gag. Why does she have to eat tilapia?
  • jsnearly
    Options
    Tilapia is pretty gross fish. Your daughter has good taste buds. Salmon and steelhead trout are reasonably priced and taste way better.
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    My daughter has decided NOT to eat Tilapia. She had it once a year ago, came down sick and blamed it on the fish now she won't eat it. I'd like to HIDE it in something and see if she really gets sick or if it's all in her head. I need a recipe to hide it in.....
    What a horrible thing to do to someone. My parents 'hid vegetables' in my food when I was 7. I never ate another home-cooked meal. I can't tell you how violated I felt, but it stuck with me for decades, I couldn't eat food without first picking it into small enough pieces to know there wasn't something awful hidden in it.

You can't possibly be doing this for her benefit, she's not going to miss out on all the good things in life because she doesn't eat tilapia, nor is she going to be ostracized for it.

hmmm well maybe do it the once and see if she actually LIKES the fish and it was just a bad experience that put her off, me and mushrooms are a no-no, always have been to the point when I was little I'd flick them out the window when my parents turned their backs, turns out I actually like them in certain rice dishes, had it not been for my parents hiding them I'd still be running from any meals containing mushrooms.
    It's neither horrible nor a violation of anything, if the child doesn't like the fish after then at least you tried... violated is a TAD bit extreme
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    tilapia has no flavor to it but its good for you and its not expensive .i used to eat it but decided to spring for the stuff i like instead which is boneless skinless haddock
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

edit: "Tilapia has become the third most important fish in aquaculture after carp and salmon"...uh, I'll eat one of those! Hah! Carp tacos??? Heh :noway:
    Carp? Ugghh, not even with somebody else's taste buds. Only thing good about carp is that they grow big and grow big quickly. They taste terrible and are bottom feeders so if they are wild caught, they're just disgusting. Isn't the super salmon genetically crossed with some type of carp?
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    have you considered a marinade? I like to use a small amount of maple syrup, dijon mustard and red wine vinegar. You don't have to marinade long - 10 min should do it for a thawed piece of fish.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Dont hide food thats just mean. I dont see it as a big deal, so she cant stomach tilapia I can stomach salmon no matter how its prepared. There are plenty of other fish out there to try.

And to those saying Tilapia is crap fish (LOL not sure what defines a crap fish). Lets not forget some of our good fish like tuna and salmon can be loaded with mercury. Anyways, tilapia is a very sustainable fish. You can even have a fish farm in your backyard. It's a light tasting fish, and easy to get kids and adults who dont like fish to eat.

So dont hide food or bag on tilapia. Although maybe tilapia wouldnt mind being known as a crap fish then it wouldnt be eaten.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Horrible? Violated? Friend you have issues but I dont think it is rooted in your food being "camouflaged".

There is nothing wrong with trying to prepare food in a manner that a child will find acceptable - and you have to admit, it's a heck of a lot better then just tossing fast food on the table. It is a responsible parent who tries to provide the very best nutrition for their child.

One may not like plain ole steamed rice, but will go wild over it in a jambalaya...so just where is the violation?
    The violation is in being purposely fed something that may make her sick, not for her own benefit but for the benefit of her mother. How would you feel if someone fed you 90% of a lethal dose of cyanide just to see if it's really not lethal? Again, she isn't going to suffer from malnutrition or anything else if she never eats tilapia again in her life. It also shows a total lack of respect and total lack of faith in the kid to ever be able to make decisions for herself, and lack of concern for her well being.

If she likes girls, also be sure to hook her up with a transvestite so you can "cure" her.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Options

The violation is in being purposely fed something that may make her sick, not for her own benefit but for the benefit of her mother. How would you feel if someone fed you 90% of a lethal dose of cyanide just to see if it's really not lethal? Again, she isn't going to suffer from malnutrition or anything else if she never eats tilapia again in her life. It also shows a total lack of respect and total lack of faith in the kid to ever be able to make decisions for herself, and lack of concern for her well being.

If she likes girls, also be sure to hook her up with a transvestite so you can "cure" her.

LMAO

I think someone has only one oar in the water....
  • miasapearl
    miasapearl Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Let her decide when to try fish again. Maybe serve a different types of fish? My mom ruined fish for me when I was little and I still won't eat fish at home to this day... I will eat sashimi and fish taco that's about it. I tried fish again after high school when I was introduce to it by friends.

Don't hide the food. My mom did that with ginger and even now I will sift through all of the food at my mom's and pick out every little minced piece of ginger. O:) I have no trust in her not hiding things in my food.
  • Christabelle79
    Christabelle79 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Not going to offer any sort of parenting advice (not my place) but I have a great recipe that I use with white fish all the time.

Broil on high for 3 minutes on one side

Flip over and broil for another 3 minutes

Mix together:
    2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
    1 Tbsp light mayo
    1 Tbsp lime juice
    1 tsp dried Italian seasoning

Slather mixture over fish and broil for another 2 minutes.

Calories: 120.5
    Total Fat: 2.6 g
    Cholesterol: 57.0 mg
    Sodium: 119.5 mg
    Total Carbs: 1.0 g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.0 g
    Protein: 22.1 g

(Nutrition Breakdown from Sparkpeople.com)
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    wrap in bacon and pan fry...OMG
  • nay_nay11
    nay_nay11 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I make pamesean tilapia I broil it for 20 mins & its great! My 3 year old niece loves it & its also VERY healthy maybe you could try that or all the many other great recipes people have suggested! good luck
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    If you really want to hide a healthy fish in food, it'd probably be better to do so with a fish with some actual substance. In terms of protein and omega-3, Tilapia is like the celery of the fish kingdom.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

What a deliciously crazy post. I hope you stick around the forums.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options

WTH????? LMAO
  • Unique_ways
    Unique_ways Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My Mother hid Rabbit in my food told me it was chicken I didn't touch her meat ever since that was 20 years ago...
    I wouldn't do that to my child be honest if she wants to try it let her try it on her own but don't violate her trust like that.
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options

Completely agree wtith this! I had food hang ups growing up because of getting sick around the same time. People had tried to "hide it" or "trick me" into eating it, and it shattered my trust with them and damaged my relationship with those foods completely. I think it's a bit troubling that you want to "see if it's all in her head" by hiding it. It seems like I really big "I TOLD YOU SO" game, and that's really childish.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Options

What a deliciously crazy post. I hope you stick around the forums.

Just remember; do not make eye contact with him.....