hunger after running

Options
hi i have been running a few months now . and can manage a 10 k run but i find that i am so
hungry afterwards . have you any help or tips to keep the hunger at bay ?

Replies

• annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Maybe your body is trying to tell you that you need nutrients because you've expended a lot running? Maybe you could try a protein shake after your run? On a side note, sugar free chewing gum helps between meals and keeps me from snacking when I shouldn't.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Eat something....10km takes quite a bit of fuel, so you need to replace it.....Just keep track of how much you burn and eat a little under that...A protein shake after a run usually helps for me....
  • cwelch2677
    cwelch2677 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm on a banana and peanut butter kick. 1tbsp of peanut butter and a banana is a little under 200cals and keeps me from eating junk after a run :)
  • kenhelms17720
    Options
    Your body is running out of fuel. It needs to replace the glycogen stores.

On a side note, you can train your body to burn fat for fuel during endurance sessions.
    It's called fat adaptation, some people are better at it than others.... it's a gene thing.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    hi i have been running a few months now . and can manage a 10 k run but i find that i am so
    hungry afterwards . have you any help or tips to keep the hunger at bay ?

I suggest eating. Eating tends to keep my hunger at bay.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You need to replace glycogen and electrolytes. I generally have a protein shake made with real milk after a long run, or a banana and a glass of milk. Unless you're in ketosis, have some carbs and electrolytes.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    You need to replace glycogen and electrolytes. I generally have a protein shake made with real milk after a long run, or a banana and a glass of milk. Unless you're in ketosis, have some carbs and electrolytes.

Yes. Food.
  • sluedu09
    sluedu09 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    After I run I don't try to keep hunger at bay. Once I calm down enough and drink some water, I eat!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Yes. Food.

is that what you call that **** she was talking about? why didn't she just say so?!?! I had to google 50% of what she wrote!

so which one of those fancy words means "cheeseburger"?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Yes. Food.

is that what you call that **** she was talking about? why didn't she just say so?!?! I had to google 50% of what she wrote!

I'll put it in terms you know well: GATORADE
    :laugh:
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Your body is running out of fuel. It needs to replace the glycogen stores.

On a side note, you can train your body to burn fat for fuel during endurance sessions.
    It's called fat adaptation, some people are better at it than others.... it's a gene thing.

How do you train your body to do this if it's genetic?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Yes. Food.

Yes, we may be fitness minded here..but...we tend to keep it simple like...food, water, chocolate.....cheeseburger... :D
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Yes. Food.

I think it's either "glass"or "ketosis"
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough before your run?