Help with breastfeeding

Options
Hi, does anyone know if MFP takes nursing into consideration? I am nursing my baby full time and wondering if that means i can add 500 calories a day to my limit? Anyone know?

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Check the groups, I think there are a bunch of groups devoted to new mothers/breastfeeding specific challenges.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I added 500/day when I was exclusively breastfeeding. When she started solids, I dropped it to 300. It is listed under cardiovascular exercise and I eat the calories if I feel like it.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Put in breastfeeding when you add your food: exclusive will have -500, non-exclusive -300.

I actually separated part of my food diary specifically to remind myself to add those additional calories. =)
  • melmar76
    melmar76 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You should speak with your Dr about the need to add calories to your diet at all! I didn't make a conscious change to my diet with either of my children and none of us suffered :wink:
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Looks like you have got some good responses already. I would definitely second the logging it under food. It takes the body 26 calories to produce one ounce of breastmilk. Multiply that by however many ounces and times you nurse per day and the total really gets up there. The average is around 650. The number 500 is a reduced amount that enables you to keep up supply and still lose weight from the 150 calorie deficit. Just make sure you eat enough for you and your baby. I know if I get a little too enthuiastic in my weight loss efforts my supply tends to go down. Best wishes on your nursing and weight loss. Feel free to add me if you want. I am currently nursing my 11 month old twins and have nursed all of my other children too.