Musicians

Options
Is there any real exercise involved when playing for two hours that I should take note of? I mean I can easily imagine a drummer getting a good work out. I doubt id get the same workout being a sax player

Replies

• oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    According to bootsdiets.com you burn about 130 per hour. As a pianist I burn about 162 per hour. Do you think if we play allegro we burn them faster? :bigsmile:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't look at it as a workout as such, but maybe adjust your base activity level upwards if this is something you're doing often. Also, drummers usually sit down, don't they? I know sax players aren't as frenetic, but at least they get to stand up! :wink:
  • m8605
    m8605 Posts: 102
    Options
    mmhm yes concert band = sitting down; rock band = standing up. Usually for the rock band its practice monday/wednesday nights and a gig if we're lucky on friday which can be 2hrs or more.
  • m8605
    m8605 Posts: 102
    Options
    According to bootsdiets.com you burn about 130 per hour. As a pianist I burn about 162 per hour. Do you think if we play allegro we burn them faster? :bigsmile:

If only! I only have music performance capstone & piano lessons next semester so I'm just practicing music all semester
  • merith101
    merith101 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I play harp. I didn't think it would count towards exercise at all, but possibly similar to piano..
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I really don't think so. I play flute and we have 2-hour rehearsals in orchestra. It is nothing like a workout session. I wouldn't bother trying to count calories from it.
  • tomservo
    Options
    mmhm yes concert band = sitting down; rock band = standing up. Usually for the rock band its practice monday/wednesday nights and a gig if we're lucky on friday for which can be 2hrs or more.

If you're in the sort of rock band who try and have a great stage presence to energise the audience (i.e. the RIGHT kind :bigsmile: ) then I'd hazard a guess at you burning at least 600 calories over the 2 hours.
  • D0ry
    D0ry Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I sing in a rock band. Singing wasn't listed here as an activity, but I found it in another site and now I do log it because I tend to be really active while performing in a club or on a stage (the bigger the stage, the more dynamic moves I make) :)
    Sure I don't log a 1 hour rehearsal, as I don't jump and dance around the studio and then the burn is relatively smaller. A 3-4 hours rehearsal is exhausting though...

The point is that it really depends on how you play what you play. I can't believe playing sax is not making you tired. You sure have to use your diaphragm way more than I do. And if you perform on stage, you may incorporate some dance moves too. Log it or not, it is still an activity.

Look at the calculators here: http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php, find something similar and decide if it's worth it to eat back those calories or just have them as a bonus activity for yourself :)

Good luck!
  • D0ry
    D0ry Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If you're in the sort of rock band who try and have a great stage presence to energise the audience (i.e. the RIGHT kind :bigsmile: ) then I'd hazard a guess at you burning at least 600 calories over the 2 hours.

This!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Back BMR out of there and it's negligible. This is considered normal daily activity.