Embarrassed

Options
I have lost weight many times in my life and usually the right way, but I always fall back into unhealthy habits. Now I am heaviest I have ever been and it is embarrassing. People know that I know how to lose and how to keep it off so it seems stupid that I am heavy again. How do I break through disappointing myself and my loved ones...again.

Replies

• intrepidity
    Options
    Dont be embarrassed. Do something about it. Add me :)
  • ginipig
    Options
    Hi Happy New Year!
    Don't be hard on yourself - being honest with yourself is a good starting point to making positive daily changes for the rest of your life.
    I've been using My Fitness Pal since September 2011. I'm a Scottish 40 year old. Female & 5ft 2inches
    I've gone from 9.12 to my current weight of 8.2 (although after Christmas I may weigh a few pounds more temporarily )
    Without MFP, I'd would never be able to maintain and lose my extra blubber.
    I log my diet and exercise - each and everyday - even if I've been naughty!
    I'm also looking for friends whom like to live a healthy lifestyle.
    Look forward to hearing from you.
    Ginipig
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    You need to make it a lifestyle change - stop dieting. If you can't control your portions, as in your weight goes up and down, do so by measuring everything and never changing your lifestyle diet. Once you reach your weight, I would consider maintaining your diary and not stop your measurements - eat what you're supposed to eat. Basically, you need to keep it up long enough to keep the weight off and probably should insert exercise several times a week as a regular habit. If you find you don't trust yourself, keep up with the measuring. In the long run, you'll be happier. Also, you need to look at your dinner plates and start cooking super healthy by making sure you've got veggies and things that are filling. Basically, part of it is to learn to cook healthier and keep up that trend. I believe that's going to be my route. I know I love food and it wouldn't take much for me to balloon up so I'm going to have to do portion controls to keep myself thinner.

Monica
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Many of us go through the same thing as the above poster said being honest with yourself.. is key now embarassment over and time to work to your goal... we are here to help :) feel free to add me :)
  • lesleyblock3
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support. I am looking forward to having MFP help me out and all of you!
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    You have to make it a priority in your life. Weigh yourself weekly and if you're up a few pounds, then watch what you eat for a few weeks. If you make it a priority, you will succeed. Good Luck!
  • rwhawkes
    rwhawkes Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am no expert cuz I have done many times what you've described. I think that the trick is to get off the slippery slope ASAP when you find yourself on it. For example, Christmas baking is a big problem with me and I easily put on 10 lbs in December. So now, December is over and I'm putting that all behind me and jumping off that slippery slope.

Another thing might be to determine if you eat to dull some kind of emotional pain (hurt, self esteem, boredom) and take steps to alleviate the emotional pain. Self love is a powerful diet aid.
  • mmerya
    mmerya Posts: 3
    Options
    HA! Been there and am there now...
  • alimarie53
    alimarie53 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are singing my song!

I am also at my heaviest. I have lost weight and then gained it back multiple times... But this time an extra 10 for good measure decided to creep up on me.

When it comes to embarrassment so much of it is just a head game. While we think that others are judging us they really aren't. We are our own worst judge and the brain will make us think all kinds of things. ::Thanks Stupid Brain::

Even if you are embarrassed just take the first step! It gets easier. :) And if you fail (like me...yesterday I hate Cold Stone hahaha) just know that it's not the end of the world and get right back into the routine! :)
  • jheilala63
    Options
    I know how you feel because I'm currently in that rut myself. The thing that hurts the most right now is that I've let myself down...it's time to get back on that bike and keep riding!

Anyone can feel free to add me! I'm going to need more help on this voyage!
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Good for you for recognizing your problem. You can do it, this time...just focus on keeping it off.
    I'm always looking for committed friends so please add me if you like.

Good luck this time, and may it be the last time!
  • flatblade
    flatblade Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Keep trying! The most important battle is to keep trying. I've spent at least 90% of my adult life overweight and probably 75% of it classed as obese, but I am enjoying my success right now. You can do it, you have done it before.
  • lesleyblock3
    Options
    I think my major issue is the feeling that I have to feed to growing boys tons of food so then I of course join in. These guys eat 24/7 and even though I do not keep junk food in the house...2 Bowls of Cheerios is not healthy either. I also have to give up Soda! I used to hate it and then boys got old enough to want it and so I keep it and it is an easy grab so now I am hooked on it. I know Everything I need to do I just wish it did not feel like getting ready for a root canal.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Lesley I've done the same thing time and time again. I'm going to try hard to make 2013 MY year to do this and to keep it up. I really really want to get this weight off! Feel free to add me and we can motivate one another!
  • kat2475
    kat2475 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    So many of us here have been there, done that. Don' be embarrassed. Just keep restarting until you reach your goal. Beating yourself up over it isn't going to make you feel better. Trust me, I've tried.
  • jheilala63
    Options
    Instead of being negative about it, we all have to realize that there is a positive...maybe weights go up and down but that doesn't change our beauty!
  • lesleyblock3
    Options
    Jheilala63 Thanks that is pretty awesome
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I think we can all relate to this on some level.
    I myself have lost and gained, lost and gained, many times.

Before I would use a program and when I was done I would go back to my old habits.
    This time I had to make changes and form habits that I knew I could stick with FOR LIFE!
    It has to be a lifestyle change, not a diet. It can never end, if I want to be successful for life I will probably be on here just as long :)

That being said, I have my moments still though. Christmast this year was HARD on me, and I find the closer I get to my goal the slacker I become. It doesn't have to be a bad thing, but the positive I see now is that I can QUICKLY pick myself up and recognize I am on that slippery slope. I keep telling myself, I don't want to be fat again, I won't be fat again, and I come here for support.

You got this :)
  • LaboratoryScientist
    Options
    You're human. Turn the negative energy into positive energy! Get moving, make positive choices, and surround yourself with positive people! Feel free to add me if you wish!
  • DocMarr
    DocMarr Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I sympathise and want you to know you are not alone in that. I spent 14 years of my life dieting and regaining, dieting and regaining. I found the only way to take it off and keep it off was to STOP DIETING and realise that I had to change my eating habits forever. I also had to change my focus from achieving a goal weight to achieving a healthy balance. If you have a goal weight in mind then when you reach it, you tend to stop dieting - that's when you fall back into old habits. However, if your goal is to be healthy and fit, then you never reach that goal because you can always become fitter and healthier so it's always just out of reach, so you always keep striving for it. So you never stop.

I also follow the 80/20 rule. 80% of my intake is good and wholesome and I allow up to 20% of my weekly calorie total to be stuff that is a bit more induglent. That way I don't deprive myself of things I like to eat, but I eat them in a healthy and controlled way that is sustainable.

My final tip would be not to set too low a daily calorie allowance. Just under maintenance, I've found, is the most effective level at which to safely lose weight. It's slow but it comes off at a pace where you can retrain yourself to eat and exercise well. It's much more likely to stay off.

All of the above have helped me to maintain my weight pretty much steadily for the past 5 years. Refining it even more, in this past year using MFP (to measure my intake) and FitBit (to measure my output) have combined to help me balance my weight to within 2 pounds consistently since last April.

The hardest part of weight loss is undoubtedly getting your head into the right place. If you have a weight problem it is unlikely you will ever be a naturally thin person - you have to learn how to balance and manage your intake in a sustainable way that you can do for the rest of your life. Short term fixes won't work - as you have found.

I hope this helps in some way. Good luck and may 2013 be your year!