At 45, my one year update, Jan 2012 to Dec 2012

Options
scssam
scssam Posts: 23 Member
I started using MFP a year ago.. it was very instrumental in my success. ..thanks for a awesome app and website community!

I can remember the exact date. December 27th 2011, I looked in the mirror and had to tell myself the cold brutal truth. I was overweight, not feeling good and my quality of life just was not what I wanted it to be.

jan-to-decemberr_zps98fcfda82_zps91958746.jpg

There are many things in one’s life that a person cannot control. For most people, being overweight and living a poor quality of life just is not one. If you truly think about it, if you are sick, no amount of money, toys, can make you physically feel any better. Your health, at the end of the day is the only thing that truly matters.

“And all your money won’t another minute buy..” –Kansas

This was the thought that came to mind that faithful December day. I had taken some friends fishing for a couple days. We did inshore fairly easy fishing. No long runs, no bad weather and they next day, I had to take several Ibuprofen just so I could function. I thought to myself, I did not want to live the rest of my life depending on Ibuprofen just so I could get through the day.

No longer in my 20’s I knew this was not going to be an easy road. But I also knew it is quite possible to achieve. I wanted to achieve this the all-natural way, living right.

Now that the goal was set, it was time to figure how to get there. Like most people who have battle weight issues, I was no stranger to diets. I have tried many and many of them did work quite well. However, they were not sustainable at least not for me. Once I went back to my old habit, the weight quickly returned.

Low carb, low calories, low fat, HCG hormones, cabbage, salads, none of these were sustainable for me. I started to do research via youtube and came across a video of a guy name Shay Carl. I remember a video of him in Jan 2011, he was 300lbs starting a weight lost program. The title of the current video said “I lost 100lbs!” I saw the thumbnail and quickly clicked on it. It wasn’t a work out video it was him talking about the mentality of it all.

In one of his videos, he explained it this way, “I looked at what fat people did and l looked at what fit people did. I was doing the exact same thing the fat person was doing, there for I was fat.” Somehow this simple concept made a lot of sense to me. I looked at the way I live and sure enough I was doing what a fat person does and the result was, I was fat.

I go fishing, I eat fried foods, I shoot photos, I sit in front of the computer for hours and I would eat whatever tasted good to me. None of these activities equate to what a fit person does. A fit person would have a routine of some type of exercise; they would watch what they ate and indulge sparingly.

It was quite simple, If I wanted to feel better and sustain it, I had to start living like a fit person. The goal was also not to be one of those crazy fit person who ends up having zero life. After all, what good is being fit when you are locked up in the house/gym all the time?

My intentions were not only did I want to lose the pounds naturally, I also wanted to look fit. I mean, Jared from the Subways commercial lost a bunch of weight, but he did not look fit to me. I wanted to look like the guy it the Solo Flex commercial. I did not want to look like a marathon runner; I wanted to look like a sprinter.

Before I go any further I want to say that I took the time to write this entry not to brag about myself. I write this in hopes of empowering and helping people to reach their fitness goals, the same way Shay Carl motivated me. Hopefully I can help some people out there that might need that little push.

In my 40’s, in December 2011, I was 5’ 7” 226lbs. 38-40inch waist and wearing an XL shirt. By any standards I was obese at best. Waking up with back pains, out of breath when walking up stairs, terrible sleep and to top it all off had really bad dandruff.

After getting into my routine, within a couple weeks, my skin started to clear up. Within a month, I was starting to feel better and wanted to work out. Within in 3 months I had dropped over 20lbs and the clothes were getting baggy on me.

As I type this, December 25th 2012 almost one year later, I am 190lbs 32”-34” waist and wearing a Large or Medium shirts. I just wanted to add that the journey does not end. This is not a diet, this is the way I will try to live.

I wanted to end this entry with one of my favorite quote from an old movie that has kept me going.

“That every passing minute is a another chance to turn it all around.” –Vanilla sky(2001)

Replies

• NoMoreJellyRolls
    Options
    WOW. Congrats! you look awesome
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    You look incredible. Not to mention younger. That guy in the first pic looks like he could be your dad! But what I'm really impressed with is the muscle tone you put on. And you didn't do it by living 24/7 at the gym?

There is hope for me yet! Great job, great motivation! :drinker:
  • m1oscar
    m1oscar Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Excellent post, awesome progress and words to live by! I have long felt that the only plan that will work for me is one I can sustain long term. Staying active without being obsessive and enjoying life and food without going overboard. Vigilant consistency...and the ability to quickly get back on track after normal derailments! Kudos to you!
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    GREAT post, and congrats on your success. Yes, everyone is obsessed with losing weight and not changing their lifestyle.

Sustainability is also important to me and I am glad you mentioned it.

What a great way to start the new year!

Kudos and good job! I am going to look that guy Shay Carl up.
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    OUTSTANDING!!! You're my new inspiration. Thanks for sharing.
  • ColleenHollis
    Options
    THAT is an amazing transformation! Mind and body. You seriously look 15 to 20 years younger. Isn't it great! Add me as a friend I would love to see how you are doing during this next year :o)
  • scssam
    scssam Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks.. guys.. it was a long road filled with many speed bumps along the way.

I have not felt this good in over 10 years. :)
  • mayerrocks
    mayerrocks Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!! GREAT JOB!!
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Wow you look great
  • jigglewiggles
    jigglewiggles Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!! Great job, and very inspirational!!
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    High five!
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    You look great. And nice synopsis; it was good to read. My 44th birthday is coming up in a few weeks; it would be good to spend my 44th year as well as you did.
  • MountainMamaMarissa
    MountainMamaMarissa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success! Very inspiring!
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You are right...you have to be in the right mindset for this to work! And it is a lifestyle, not a "diet"!!! You have done great and I am as confident as you that this is you for life! Again, I say congratulations!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    amazing transformation!!! congrats!!!!!
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Looking good
  • Rachelmilloy
    Rachelmilloy Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You look magnificent! Thank you so much for sharing your insight/motivation. I have no doubt you will continue to live as a fit person! All the best!
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Awesome. I am 45 also and started at 216 and I am now between 155-158. A little higher than normal due to the Holidays. I plan on getting back to under 155. I went from a size 16 to a size 8... It is about choosing a healthier lifestyle. All you said really hit home with me. You said how I feel but could never put it into words.
  • hprchlik1
    Options
    Great post! Thank you for sharing this!
  • kmacgera
    kmacgera Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Your pictures are an inspiration! Ya did good! I will lose 20 lbs again this next year, for a total of 50.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!