Post c-section exercises?

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
I know with my last baby (my third c-section), I tried to ride an exercise bike at 4 weeks, and I was super sore in my abs for over a week. I just restarted exercising (at 28 weeks pregnant) this time around, and I would like to not take a huge break when I have the baby before exercising again. I know waiting until the 6-8 week post-op checkup would be best, but can I at least walk on the treadmill or something? I don't want to overdo it, but I also don't want to just sit around the entire time. Of course, if I am super sore, I won't do anything. Any BTDTs or advice? Thanks!

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    hardest workout is taking care of a newborn! Go for a slow walk if you are up to it, but stay away from cardio equipment!
    I'm delivering next week and plan on sitting on my butt, eating good food, going for walks in the mall, and bonding with new ankle biter until Valentines when I'm cleared to work out again.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I know with my last baby (my third c-section), I tried to ride an exercise bike at 4 weeks, and I was super sore in my abs for over a week. I just restarted exercising (at 28 weeks pregnant) this time around, and I would like to not take a huge break when I have the baby before exercising again. I know waiting until the 6-8 week post-op checkup would be best, but can I at least walk on the treadmill or something? I don't want to overdo it, but I also don't want to just sit around the entire time. Of course, if I am super sore, I won't do anything. Any BTDTs or advice? Thanks!

a girl I know was back walking on the track with the baby in a front carrier within 7-10 days, but I think she had a vaginal delivery. I would wait at least a month before you do more than walking--you want everything to be healed up.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Its very individual to your situation so 1) Talk to your OB first and foremost since they know your situation the best and 2) really let your body guide you. This is not a time to push through. I have had 2 CSections and another major abdominal surgery. After my first, I was walking as soon as I was comfortable (around 2). After the 2nd, I had to wait a little longer due to pain but I was good by 4 weeks. I was not doing anything other than walking however until 6-8 weeks to allow the muscles to heal and that was only minimal strength training
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    People discount C-Sections because they're so common, but they're still major abdominal surgery! There's a reason you're not supposed to exercise for the first 6 weeks - so you can recover! You're at an increased risk for hernias and all sorts of other things post surgery so follow the doctor's advice and rest.
  • westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend waiting until you are cleared by your doctor to exercise again - usually a minimum of 6 weeks post partum. With my first, I had a really hard time recovering, and when I did finally start exercising again (probably 8-10 weeks later), my incision which looked perfectly healed re-opened. And then it happened again 3 weeks later. My doctor explained that it takes up to 6 months for your body to be truly healed on the inside! Your body needs lots of time to heal and recover, it's major surgery. With my second I was back in the gym at the 6-week mark and have had no issues. Take the time to bond with baby and enjoy the down time!!