Calories and eating (almost) clean

Options
I eat clean most of the time and have for years even though I am heavy (257) and now that I'm actually following a plan and working out regularly I'm noticing I don't eat nearly enough. How on Earth do I manage to get to 1800 calories, I feel like I've been eating all day and barely broke 1,000?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    hm....then how did you get to 257 pounds? Maybe your estimations are waaaay off.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    If you are not using a food scale and measuring everything out you are probably underestimating your cals
  • kiyakiyaflem
    Options
    No They aren't estimations, the numbers are the result of careful counting but If you have actual suggestions that would help I would love to hear them.
  • Infauna
    Infauna Posts: 89
    Options
    I'd say your estimations are way off, it's easy to underestimate what you're eating. If not, eat more calorie-dense foods such as peanut butter, nuts, eggs, etc.
  • deepbreaths_strongmoves
    Options
    To up my calorie intake while eating whole foods I include food like nuts, peanut butter, yogurt, and homemade granola. Things that are a little higher in calories but still healthy. I have a to go snack pack that includes a serving of nuts, granola, and dried fruit. it comes up to about 400 calories and I'll eat that with yogurt.

If you open your food diary so we can see it we might be able to help a little better!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    No They aren't estimations, the numbers are the result of careful counting but If you have actual suggestions that would help I would love to hear them.

People can't help if you don't give more information. Exactly what are you eating that is under 1000 calories? Which food groups have you eaten from and how many servings/ grams of each? What is your definition of eating clean? If you have been undereating for years yet are overweight have you been tested by your doctor for health issues that might explain this?
  • kiyakiyaflem
    Options
    There is no question about how much I have eaten, I'm not estimating, I am counting, measuring, weighing and cooking at home.
  • kiyakiyaflem
    Options
    I eat mostly veggies, meatless products. My only question was for suggestions on things to add to eat to get to my calorie goal that won't have me feeling like I've been eating constantly.
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    You may need to read the forums on Eat More to Weigh Less. It seems as though you resemble an old me. It is possible to be heavy and not eat enough. That doesnt mean that you didnt at one time eat too much to get to where you are. It's just that now you have changed something or a lot of things that have caused you to feel like you don't require very many calories. I weighed 180ish (32 lbs less than my heaviest) eating 1300 cal and feeling stuffed to the brim and working out a lot. Currently I weigh 166lbs and have SERIOUSL TROUBLE staying UNDER 2000. Do some research and trials and you will find out why. Feel free to friend me and best of luck to you
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly veggies, meatless products. My only question was for suggestions on things to add to eat to get to my calorie goal that won't have me feeling like I've been eating constantly.

People are trying to help but you are being so vague we can't. Maybe try eating lean meat/ oily fish/ nuts/ seeds/ beans/ lentils/ eggs/ reduced fat dairy.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    This is a constantly reoccurring topic. It's usually posted by someone new to the site with few posts. They ask the question and then get upset when people tell them it's not that difficult to up good calories without constant eating. Though usually it's someone on 1200 cal a day complaining they can't get to 1000.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    If you show your diary people will be able to be of help to you otherwise they are just stabbing in the dark.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

avocado's ... little bit of food super high in calories
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have started with the clean eating and only unprocessed foods in the last couple of months. When you eat clean you generally have to eat every 3 hours or so, and tend to have smaller and more frequent meals. If I were you, I'd pack several little meals during your day and plan your calories ahead.

For me, I have Oatmeal with fruit in the morning. (About 280 calories).
    As a snack, have a tea and some vegetables or fruit. (100 calories)
    Lunches vary but I try and mix a lot of vegetables with complex carbohydrates and lean protein. I may have a salad with some turkey and almonds or something like that. That can be around 300-400 calories.
    Dinner should be around 300 calories depending on what you've decided to eat.
    My pre workout snack is usually about 70-150 calories depending on what I choose. (Eggs, turkey, protein shake)
    Post workout protein drinks usually are 150-200 calories.
    My evening snack of fruits and tea is usually about 50 - 100 calories. (Sometimes I have popcorn)

If you're eating completely clean, you will probably have some more extra snacks in there that will fill in the extra calories. That should bring you to about 1500. I find I usually get to 1400 or so on days where I still have a good amount of groceries in the fridge. :P

Check out "Eat-Clean Diet Recipe book". No, it's not a fad diet book or anything like that. I'm not sure why they named it like that, but it has a very through explanation of nutrients, lifting, and foods ideas. The recipe book is loaded with clean eating ideas. Also check out some paleo cookbooks as well for ideas.

Hope this helps.
  • kiyakiyaflem
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful suggestions from some I appreciate it :-)
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    time to get a little dirty
  • ihateroses
    Options

It would be a lot easier to make suggestions if we see your diary.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

It would be a lot easier to make suggestions if we see your diary.

I already said that and it was ignored.
  • ihateroses
    Options
    If you show your diary people will be able to be of help to you otherwise they are just stabbing in the dark.

Ah there it is!

Great minds :drinker:
  • IWantToo
    IWantToo Posts: 162
    Options
    Post like this always seem so fake to me, if you were eating under a 1000 cals and mostly veggie you wouldn't be 257 pounds.

Post where people ask how can they add food to their diet, to up their calories.. so they wont have to eat even more food seems so fake to me. Seriously how hard is it to find something loaded with fat and calories, the hard thing is to find something that isnt that is going to sustain your appetite so you're not constantly hungry..seriously if i had an issue being under calories and having healthy food that i actually craved and liked... i wouldn't be asking questions like this, id be extremely happy.. rant over... im just saying.