Heart Rate Monitors

Options
Are these accurate. What brand do you use? I went to GNC to buy one but they only had female heart rate monitors. I'm gonna check out best buy and see what they have.

Replies

• kenhelms17720
    Options
    Yes they are accurate, depending on the brand and the model, etc.

You are pretty good if they say "ECG accurate" on the box for the most part. Polar, Mio and Garmin make good ones and are the ones you are most likely going to run into. It is worth the extra money to get a chest strap as that can constantly keep track of the rate and give calories burned, etc.

One that data dumps to a PC is handy but not necessary starting off.

Edit- I use a forerunner 310XT
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Polar is a reliable brand and the FT4 is a good basic monitor. If you're a runner and want GPS capabilities you'll probably want to look at a Garmin. For any accuracy you need something with a chest strap.
  • anfruth
    Options
    Really depends on the model. Good brands are Polar, Garmin, Timex, but that is not an exhaustive list. I would probably go with a chest strap unless you find those to be uncomfortable or don't like it for whatever reason. You have a lot more selection with the chest strap types and you'll also get continuous readings. If you don't like chest straps, but still want the continuous reading, you go for a model that has continuous readings without a chest strap - two prominent ones that come to mind are the ePulse 2 and Scosche Rhythm and I know Mio is coming out with a new one - the Mio Alpha and Omron is introducing a new one too. Then, you have the non-continuous HRMs, that require you to touch the monitor with your finger to get a reading - I wouldn't use these unless you can stop for 10s for readings during your workout or if you're doing less intense workouts - such as power walking.
  • krayzieroach
    Options
    Yes they are accurate, depending on the brand and the model, etc.

You are pretty good if they say "ECG accurate" on the box for the most part. Polar, Mio and Garmin make good ones and are the ones you are most likely going to run into. It is worth the extra money to get a chest strap as that can constantly keep track of the rate and give calories burned, etc.

One that data dumps to a PC is handy but not necessary starting off.

Edit- I use a forerunner 310XT

thanks i got the Sportline Solo 915 and it had ECG Accurate on the back. Cost be $60 at Sports Authority. Lets see how this works out.
  • pamben92
    pamben92 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I brought the Sportline watch monitor with chest strap, had it almost a year and it works great.
  • 3RachaelFaith3
    3RachaelFaith3 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have sportline and like it a lot, but if you have the cash, I think polars are supposed to be the best
  • PipBnz
    PipBnz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have a Suunto M4, its one of their more basic models but with the chest strap still gives you fairly accurate calories and you can set it to your target HR and it will beep if you go too high or too low.
    Im relatively new to the fitness world but for what i want (getting fit, training myself to run and losing weight as a side-effect of it)
    its great, although a little more expensive than Polar etc
  • 4UrPb8vo
    Options
    The chest strap is a must, I have yet to find one that works right without one. even the cheapys with a strap seem better then the wrist straps or foot pods.
  • stefanieceleste0530
    stefanieceleste0530 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 110 with the chest strap. Absolutely love it! I wear it every time I go to the gym or out for a walk/run/bike ride.
  • Cindiesue1
    Cindiesue1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    does the Garmin 110 download with myfitnesspal?
  • thomasjohnlynch
    thomasjohnlynch Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I see the current MIO sync and can run via a download and sync. Does anybody know if the MIO Alpha

1) works with the bluetooth on the 4S or only the 4.0 bluetooth on the 5 iphone.

2) doe the MIO Alpha connect or sync with MyFitnessPal accounts the way the current MIO does?
  • arenkel
    arenkel Posts: 77
    Options
  • kieranjlee
    Options
    The Mio Alpha works with iPhone 4S and 5 (but not 4). Don't think you can synch it directly with MyFitnessPal, you need to capture the data with another app which can capture the readings live over bluetooth and then synch that data over to MyFitnessPal
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7. It is accurate and I love it!
  • thomasjohnlynch
    thomasjohnlynch Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    since January MFP has added Digifit sync capability so now you burn and exercise data is sync'd with myfitness pal.

It works great and gives you a net calorie picture without typeing all kinds of junk. Use Digit and then Link the two packages and my fitness pal goes and retreives you digifit diary and plugs it in.
  • ayankeefan51
    ayankeefan51 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at reviews and getting recommendations for awhile and today finally bought the Polar FT7. It's my first HRM and I hope it works well for me. If not, I purchased a warranty and was told that I would return it to the store for any reason at all (even if I hate the color). lol