Amazing low cal foods list - add yours.

Options

Replies

• tbruegg
    tbruegg Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    i like steamed baby carrots at times .. im not fond of raw carrots but do not like them mushy either. ... another one is chicken , shrimp cocktail, any vegatables .....love beets!! , toasted whole grain sandwich thin or bagel thin with sugar free jelly on it or spray butter
    Might want to look into how baby carrots are produced, After I looked into it won't eat them again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • tbruegg
    Options
    My absolute favorite is sugar free pudding in a plain ice cream cone... 70 calories (cone and pudding), zero sugar (important for diabetics) and one of the best treats to snack on in the evening in front of the TV.

GOT TO TRY THIS !!! THANKS
    I'm intrigued will definitely try it............
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    portobella mushrooms - love love love

egg whites

plain greek yogurt - instead of sour cream

turkey bacon

bolthouse farms yogurt dressings

all fruirs & vegs

special k fruit and yogurt cereal

stonyfeild organic super smoothies

whipped peanut butter
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Kosher Whole Dill Pickles : Like zilch for calories
  • tbruegg
    Options
    http://www.snopes.com/food/tainted/carrots.asp

How baby carrots are made. Might interest those who think there healthy.....
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    My biggest discovery for 2012 has been coconut water. Yummy drink and brilliant after a session at the gym as it is great for rehydration and I get fed up with plain old water. I love it on my alcohol-free evenings.

If there is a Whole Foods store nearby, try the real coconut. You need a machete to open it but there is no comparison with the packaged ersatz coconut water.
  • Kimbrlee715
    Kimbrlee715 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Definitely Source Yogurt. 35 Calories per container. it's a Godsend.
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Definitely Source Yogurt. 35 Calories per container. it's a Godsend.

Sounds awesome, I love yogurt <3
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,699 Member
    Options
    Besides fruit and veg:

Crab sticks (16 cals each)
    Turkey Salami zapped to a crisp in the microwave (30 cals a slice)
    Bernard Matthews Wafer Thin Turkey Ham (10 cals a slice)
    Finn Crisp (20 cal per cracker)
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Eggs - poached, hard boiled or scrambled. Personally not a fan of the whites by themselves so always have the yolk too.. I'd eat eggs for breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday if I could!

My friend gave me a packet of "Munchy Seeds" which are pumpkin seeds sweet roasted with a vanilla dusting. They're 135cals per 25g bag. They're so nice and last longer than crisps/popcorn I think.

Options hot chocolate - REEEEALLY chocolatey and only 40cals per sachet. No nutitional value but really good for when I'm craving chocolate - I prefer them to actual chocolate as it lasts longer and it's nice and warm :)

Fresh mint tea from any good Middle Eastern shop is amazing. Always have to have 2 sugars in it though so about 50cals per tea but worth it. SO much better than sachets of yucky peppermint/fake mint tea from English tea makers ;)

A slice of toast with a Dairylea cheese triangle and a slice of ham or turkey/chicken - love this... it's around 170 cals depending on which meat you use. Ham is more calories than turkey or chicken.
  • me765
    me765 Posts: 3
    Options
    Mock rice made from steamed grated cauliflower and sugar-free freeze pops.
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I just remembered I like

prawns 14 cals each
    Steam fresh veges about 115cals for the large portion - I especially love the corn.
    Fat free cottage cheese - been a while since I've eaten it but it's low cal and really yum.
  • Bubblelishous
    Options
    Keep up the good work,I to have lost 5 lbs.I'm gonna try that coconut water.:smile:
  • Bubblelishous
    Options
    Keep up the good work,I to have lost 5 lbs.I'm gonna try that coconut water.:smile:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    people have already posted eggs so i'll add
    tilapia : a pound of it is only 440 calories and 84 grams of protein

also sorry but i dont consider vegetables to be amazingly low calories.. they are vegetables, they are supposed to be low cal :laugh: i'm more impressed with low cal food with high protein since those keep me filled longer
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Chicken and Beef Fajitas....also the Korean beef and the clean eating ranch dressing from the recipe section on here.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Let's see:

Akmok crackers (these are whol grain crackers with a good dose of fiber and decent protein. I eat them with cheese or peanut butter)
    Trader Joes has a 75% reduced fat sharp cheddar that is amazing! Super sharp and has perfect texture. Totally works for a cheese and cracker craving
    Greek yogurt in general, but my new favorite is Straus non-fat. It is the only non-fat greek I like. Otherwise I stick with 2%
    Wellshire Farms Reduced Fat Bacon (low sodium too): available at whole foods. 45 calories/3 grams of fat in two slices. :) And no nitrates, tastes like regular bacon. Now I don't even get regular bacon, this one is perfect and hits all of my hot buttons (minimally processed, lower sodium, nitrate-free)

As for other things? I love Rock cod and steelhead trout as my favorite fish choices.

Roasted seaweed is great! And always a good snack.

Amazingly enough I like stevia in my tea, so I use that at home all the time.

And the last one: unsweetened almond milk (almond breeze or whole foods brand). It is the only dairy alternative that has milk like thickness. I love it.

Another trick? I use greek yogurt in all sorts of dishes: guacamole, hummus, instead of whipped cream.....mixed with creme fraiche for a fruit topping.... it is really versatile.
  • miahh
    miahh Posts: 13 Member
    Options

The link you posted debunks the entire myth (this is what the snopes website is known for... disproving silly myths like this one). Did you even read the webpage? Chlorine in low doses is in your drinking water, too, and isn't harmful. There is nothing wrong with baby carrots or the processing involved. It's a way to use carrots that would otherwise be thrown out because they don't look perfect.

Anyway, some of my favorite low-calorie foods are salsa and soup like others have mentioned. I also eat the mini rice cakes that Quaker makes and they are really satisfying when you want to eat something like potato chips. Around 100 calories for a good helping of these. My favorite flavors are caramel corn and salt&pepper (sounds weird but so good) while my mom found a sweet-spicy one she likes. Plain greek yogurt also gives a great protein punch for very few calories, as does the nonfat cottage cheese. Some of the tomato based spaghetti sauces are really low in calories and I've used them to make mini-pizzas with low calorie english muffins and a little bit of cheese. Such a great snack for only about 150-200 calories.
  • gemmalu
    gemmalu Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I can't get enough of low fat cottage cheese at the mo - it's a great filling for a baked potato.

Polenta is only around 20 cals for a couple of slices and it's a great alternative to potato.

Quinoa tossed in garlic, lemon and herbs - nice alternative to rice.

Good Housekeeping amazing soup - 45 cals a cup but I eat it by huge bowls! I'm not following the diet but the soup is chunky and delicious. You can make a huge batch up and add whatever you want to it to mix it up a little. It's an easy way to be good for lunch if you know you are having a naughty dinner :-)
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

In North America perhaps, not worldwide. Here in the UK all the fresh baby carrots I have seen in the supermarket are clearly whole small carrots, often with their skins and tops intact. Peeled and chopped fresh veggies are certainly chemically treated, but carrots no more than any other. Deformed veggies are sold in store own brand 'Value/ Smartprice' packs.